So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

Not sure if this 247 insider knows anything, but I figured I may as well post more rumors. Personally I think the Big10 stands pat.

Rumors from the video:

1. A&M pissed and told if they don't like it leave. 

2. USC spearheading the move to the BIG10. Will go without UCLA. Wants more games in other time zones for national exposure. Wants to take 1 PAC12 team with them. Leaning toward Colorado.

Gives the BIG10 two new markets with AAU schools. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

OU already does an outstanding job recruiting nationally and I think their move to the SEC will only strengthen it.   

OU probably has the best OL coach in the game besides Bama's so I don't think their offense will suffer much against SEC DLs but they will have issues with SEC LBs and DBs.   

USC makes a lot of sense. It would be nice to get A&M.   Open up recruiting in Texas and southern Cal.  Big 10 needs to go bold -add Norte Dame with those two and add 1 or 3 more PAC 12 to get to 20 or 4 without A&M which is doubtful to leave the SEC unless they are REALLY PISSED.  The PAC 12 schools need more exposure in different time zones if they hope to be a play off team and more importantly cash in on the media payouts which is driving expansion 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Stumpy1 said:

OU already does an outstanding job recruiting nationally and I think their move to the SEC will only strengthen it.   

OU probably has the best OL coach in the game besides Bama's so I don't think their offense will suffer much against SEC DLs but they will have issues with SEC LBs and DBs.   

The problem is not being able to compete....the problem is the GRIND.  If you are playing the defenses of LSU, Bama, Georgia, A&M, OU, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina in consecutive weeks versus the defenses of Kansas, Iowa State, Baylor, West Virgina, Texas Tech, Okie lite, TCU, KSU, which one of these string of games would result in more attrition?  Injuries?  Loss in team morale?  Getting to the end of the season in the SEC is a marathon.  Getting to the end of the season in the Big 12 is a light jog in comparison.  The B1G is easily far tougher than the Big 12 (as we well know) and the SEC is a full two pegs higher then that.  TX is going to get crushed and OU is in for a rude awakening. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Source to Dan Patrick that was right about the covid shutdown before it happened is saying there is a Pac12 B1G merger in the works "to preserve the Rose Bowl".  With the 12 team playoff most likely happening, the Rose Bowl will become a rather meaningless bowl.  BUT if a merger occurred, the Rose Bowl could serve as the conference championship game for the newly minted national conference. 

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Source to Dan Patrick that was right about the covid shutdown before it happened is saying there is a Pac12 B1G merger in the works "to preserve the Rose Bowl".  With the 12 team playoff most likely happening, the Rose Bowl will become a rather meaningless bowl.  BUT if a merger occurred, the Rose Bowl could serve as the conference championship game for the newly minted national conference. 

Since they were headed for a pre-season scheduling agreement a few years ago I could see this happening. Both have FOX and share the wealth. I wonder if this would make the ACC and SEC join forces. 

4 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

The SEC can play defense. Yes they had a bit of a hiccup last year, but many of the SEC teams play well coached pretty stout defense.

Not really. 

Alabama 52, Florida 46

Florida 38, Texas A&M 41

Florida 63, Arkansas 35

LSU 41, Missouri 45

South Carolina 42, Ole Miss 59

Alabama 59, Ole Miss 31

Alabama 41, LSU 46

Alabama 45, Auburn 48

LSU 58, Ole Miss 37

Alabama 45, A&M 23

A&M 74, LSU 72

Florida 35, SCAR 31

Ole Miss 44, SCAR 48

Just pulling out a few examples, they're just like everyone else with a combo of some teams that have decent defense, some teams that have great offenses, and some teams that suck.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Insert League name here (28 teams)

BIG TEN Conference (14 teams)

EAST Division (7 teams)

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

NORTH Division (7 Teams)

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Purdue

Wisconsin

PAC 12 Conference (14 teams)

WEST Division (7 teams)

California

Oregon

Oregon State

San Diego State (or someone else)

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH Division (7 Teams)

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

Texas Tech

USC

UCLA

Utah

Each team plays the other teams in their own division (6 games) 2 teams from the other division in their Conference.

And 1 game against each division of the other Conference. 

Giving each team a 10 game regular season.

Then the divisional winners play in a Conference championship game.

EAST champ and NORTH champ play each other in the Big Ten title game. 

WEST champ and SOUTH champ play each other in the PAC 12 title game.

Winners play in the Rose Bowl for the League Championship.

Winner plays the SEC champion for the National Championship. OR you say fluff the SEC and name the RoseBowl champion the National Champion As the new Big Ten/Pac 12 league is the only league that goes coast to coast and Border to Border.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

16 hours ago, Kayak said:

If there is to be any expansion of teams in the B1G, leave Notre Dame out of the conversation.  They’ve had several invites and turned them all down.  Texas and Oklahoma joining the SEC in 4 years or less doesn’t change anything for them.

I like it because it functions as contrast dye in medicine.  If someone posts and Notre Dame forms a division with Louisville, UCONN, Iowa State and the University of Central Florida... I know he is playing CR scrabble and not passing along actual information.

14 hours ago, runningblind said:

I've got family in Norman who are Sooner fans and that is accurate.  They're convinced they'll keep on rolling with zero negative impact here,  can only be positive.  We shall see, I'm skeptical.

I think the jump from 8 vs 9 conference games has a much greater impact than the individual teams.  There is really only 1 body bag [at most] in each conference but every other conf road game can be a land mine.  The SEC will have to add a 9th conf game to make it work with 16 teams.  But they are balancing that with the expanded playoff that will allow even a 9-3 OU team a possible bid. 

If I were them I would be concerned with the clicks&cruits more than the W-L.   What happens when a generation of TX youth grows up knowing OU as an SEC team and themselves as SEC fans.  Won't they want to play for the best SEC programs instead of those closest by?

14 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

That isn't going to happen. The SEC is a much different conference than the BIG12. NU found out the BIG was MUCH different than the BIG12- and we stumbled pretty badly with not having the right type of kids and scheme to effectively compete against the BIG teams week in and week out. Frost had to do the same- when he thought his UCF approach would work at NU in the BIG. 

The SEC can play defense. Yes they had a bit of a hiccup last year, but many of the SEC teams play well coached pretty stout defense. The defensive lines of SEC teams are much more physical than their counterparts in the BIG12. OU can match at QB and most skill positions- but they don't have the physicality they will need to consistently be a top dog in the SEC.

Will be interesting to see how the newcomers stack up. Lots of eyeballs and ratings for that. Missouri and A&M didn't do bad coming in- so it will be interesting to watch. I for one will be watching. 

Mike Leach remains undaunted. 

17 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Insert League name here (24 teams)

BIG TEN Conference

EAST Division

Indiana

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

Purdue

NORTH Division

Illinois

Iowa

Minnesota

Nebraska

Northwestern

Wisconsin

PAC 12 Conference

WEST Division

California

Oregon

Oregon State

Stanford

Washington

Washington State

SOUTH Division

Arizona

Arizona State

Colorado

USC

UCLA

Utah

How about we kick Rutgers and Maryland to the curb, move Purdue East and skip TT and San Diego St? Go with 6 team pods. :lol:

On 7/31/2021 at 8:01 AM, runningblind said:

I've got family in Norman who are Sooner fans and that is accurate.  They're convinced they'll keep on rolling with zero negative impact here,  can only be positive.  We shall see, I'm skeptical.

I actually was thinking about this before reading your post.  

There is a chance tjj go in a could turn out well for OU and bad for Texas.  

if I had to guess, I think OU is at least going to be competitive and Texas is going to struggle. 

Recruits from Texas might see that and be more willing to go to OU.