So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

6 minutes ago, The Duke said:

Here is everyone's laugh for the day. This is absolutely hilarious! :lol: :snacks:

What a perfect ending.  This is great.     I'm going to share this wt my KSU buddy at work.   He's in a panic mode - just like KSU is in the video

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

It takes 4 schools to dissolve the Big12 and end some embarrassing litigation.  Two are spoken for, KU to the Big Ten, and then ESPN can stick WVU in the ACC and save themselves a headache. 

nope. as soon as a school is linked to another conference they are "disinterested parties" and no longer have a vote. 

saying the remaining schools shouldn't litigate for their contractual monies is lol  

1 hour ago, Bledred said:

Lots of words but no valid points.  Playing Power 5 teams will always look better than the lower conference teams in terms of strength of schedule.  A loss to Oregon State looks a lot better than a loss to Appalachian State!  The rest of your issue is centered on the loss of home games.  I am sure that everyone in both conferences will be getting the same amount of home games every two years is being negotiated.  One year you will be short a home game and the next year you will be up a home game.  It all evens out.  Between the two conferences hundreds of Millions will be saved on no longer paying to play lower tier schools for non-conference games.  Only a fan perspective could see all of this as a loss.  From each athletic department's perspective and conference perspective, this is a home run and is going to happen. 

Playing Power 5 teams will always look better than the lower conference teams in terms of strength of schedule. 

- Sure, if you have the same record. But an 11-1 team with a win over podunk state has ALWAYS gotten the nod over a 10-2 team that didn't play podunk state.

It all evens out

- Nope. If the Pac 12 and B1G schools are both based on 7 home games, which they are, then it can't 'even out'. Every school has to take a hit. The only way to 'offset' having 6 home games one year is to have 8 the next. That isn't going to happen in this kind of a deal. We have already seen that going to a 9 game conference schedule in the B1G led to teams schedules two podunk games a year on the schedule to try and make up for it. In 2018 (don't have 2019 data) NU made about $5 million per home game. If they paid $1mil to the 'sacrificial' school then they are netting $4mil in that game. Technically, anything less than $5Mil is going to be profitable. Doing that twice a year would net an extra $8Mil for NU. Going to a home/home series to replace those two games would cost NU about 3.3Mil/year.

Current - 4+4=8M

Projected - (0 -.3(travel costs) )+5(not paying non P5 school)=4.7M

Unless the media rights deal changes then this is a negative for most schools. Even then it may still be a net negative as all games are already baked into the cake and the new slice to offset this change has to come from somewhere. Maybe it can come from some synergy with the PAC and B1G but I doubt it. If the replacement non-P5 game every year is worth an extra $6/7mil, split amongst both teams playing, then it is certainly feasible to do that and break even. That would require the Pac12 having a media contract similar to the B1G. Not impossible but history has shown that isn't realistic to expect.  

You are correct, in the current model hundreds of millions would be saved over a long enough timeline. But, at the same time, billions would be lost. All for the privilege of not playing non-P5 schools. I just see it as stepping over dollars so you can pick up dimes.

Something I just thought about all night

We're all mocking Texas and OU for taking the money and (presumably) sacrificing their chances at conference championships or playoffs.

But then we're turning around and talking about how we want our conference to add more elite teams for more money...? Like, we'd be doing the same thing to ourselves if we added Notre Dame and Clemson, we would never win in that conference :lol: idk at least for me I realized my own hatred of Texas blinded my own hypocrisy 

46 minutes ago, internetman said:

nope. as soon as a school is linked to another conference they are "disinterested parties" and no longer have a vote. 

saying the remaining schools shouldn't litigate for their contractual monies is lol  

I'm sure the contract lawyers will find things to brief for $700 and hour.  but I don't think 6 remaining conference schools could enforce their will if 4 chose to dissolve/depart. 

I have read that the Big12 is within it's contractual rights to start withholding OU/UT's media pay out but so far there has been no declaration that they will even try.

4 hours ago, zeWilbur said:

Playing Power 5 teams will always look better than the lower conference teams in terms of strength of schedule. 

- Sure, if you have the same record. But an 11-1 team with a win over podunk state has ALWAYS gotten the nod over a 10-2 team that didn't play podunk state.

It all evens out

- Nope. If the Pac 12 and B1G schools are both based on 7 home games, which they are, then it can't 'even out'. Every school has to take a hit. The only way to 'offset' having 6 home games one year is to have 8 the next. That isn't going to happen in this kind of a deal. We have already seen that going to a 9 game conference schedule in the B1G led to teams schedules two podunk games a year on the schedule to try and make up for it. In 2018 (don't have 2019 data) NU made about $5 million per home game. If they paid $1mil to the 'sacrificial' school then they are netting $4mil in that game. Technically, anything less than $5Mil is going to be profitable. Doing that twice a year would net an extra $8Mil for NU. Going to a home/home series to replace those two games would cost NU about 3.3Mil/year.

Current - 4+4=8M

Projected - (0 -.3(travel costs) )+5(not paying non P5 school)=4.7M

Unless the media rights deal changes then this is a negative for most schools. Even then it may still be a net negative as all games are already baked into the cake and the new slice to offset this change has to come from somewhere. Maybe it can come from some synergy with the PAC and B1G but I doubt it. If the replacement non-P5 game every year is worth an extra $6/7mil, split amongst both teams playing, then it is certainly feasible to do that and break even. That would require the Pac12 having a media contract similar to the B1G. Not impossible but history has shown that isn't realistic to expect.  

You are correct, in the current model hundreds of millions would be saved over a long enough timeline. But, at the same time, billions would be lost. All for the privilege of not playing non-P5 schools. I just see it as stepping over dollars so you can pick up dimes.

I am certain that the lawyers of the PAC12 and B1G will make sure that the deal they come up with will be a step forward in financial gain rather than a step backwards.  If you think they are going to come up with a system that will be a net loss for every school in their conference, think again. 

39 minutes ago, Bledred said:

I am certain that the lawyers of the PAC12 and B1G will make sure that the deal they come up with will be a step forward in financial gain rather than a step backwards.  If you think they are going to come up with a system that will be a net loss for every school in their conference, think again. 

Cause people never have bad ideas right? Like wanting to go back to the Big XII? :cheers

2 hours ago, Bledred said:

I don’t know man, Kevin Warren is involved.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Cause people never have bad ideas right? Like wanting to go back to the Big XII? :cheers

Because millionaire lawyers for the PAC12 and B1G and millionaire top admin for the PAC12 and B1G are very much comparable to a random message board poster in contract decision ability.  

download-1.gif

2 hours ago, nic said:

I don’t know man, Kevin Warren is involved.

In negotiations as we type.  Might as well try and stop the sun from rising.  I personally cannot wait to do away with playing teams like Chattanooga, Troy, South Dakota State, Bethune-Cookman, Arkansas State, McNeese, South Alabama etc.  We have been playing USC since 1969 and have yet to beat them.  I want revenge for 2006 and 2007:

Untitled.png

I want to beat Arizona State a few more times for taking our perfect season away from us in 1996.  I want to beat Colorado at least 10 times in a row to avenge 2018-19 last minute losses.

These will be games I will actually care about.  I think that sentiment will carry throughout the base. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
48 minutes ago, Bledred said:

These will be games I will actually care about.  I think that sentiment will carry throughout the base. 

I think you're vastly overestimating how important the sentiment of wanting to beat Arizona State and USC because we lost to them 15 and 25 years ago is to the fanbase as a whole.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1