So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe you can explain it to a person who never has understood places east of the Mississippi calling themselves the Midwest. Doesn’t it have to be somehow relative to the geography of the country? What exactly are the boundaries of the Midwest region? I’m 58 and it’s never made sense to me.

The East is East, west is west, southeast is southeast, northeast is northeast but somehow the Midwest is east of over 50% of the country?

I believe your current conference was once the Western Conference. 

Consider the topography without political boundaries.  The midwest is flat and damp.  Then it becomes a drier prairie, then mountains or desert. 

7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Maybe you can explain it to a person who never has understood places east of the Mississippi calling themselves the Midwest. Doesn’t it have to be somehow relative to the geography of the country? What exactly are the boundaries of the Midwest region? I’m 58 and it’s never made sense to me.

The East is East, west is west, southeast is southeast, northeast is northeast but somehow the Midwest is east of over 50% of the country?

The Midwest begins at the Mississippi and ends at the Rockies.   Here is my take on it:

1920px-Map-of-USA-Midwest-svg.png

• Plus1 3
4 minutes ago, Bledred said:

The Midwest begins at the Mississippi and ends at the Rockies.   Here is my take on it:

1920px-Map-of-USA-Midwest-svg.png

As someone who grew up in IN and was told his entire life IN is the midwest its hard to say Northeast.  I immediately think of PA and east and up.  Doesn't matter now that I live in the south and everyone says I'm a yankee.  I f#&%ing hate the Yankees and that term so I tend to say I'm from the midwest and they seem not to associate the midwest with the term yankee.

• Oh Yeah! 1

12 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The 'midwest' moniker has nothing to do with their actual relative position to the entire continent. I'm guessing you know that and are just being pedantic with your friends or lightly ribbing strangers but it would be a strange thing for anyone (you or them) to take super seriously.

Most take it pretty seriously, but I get a few that we have a good laugh about it.

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

re: the bold, it was when the term was coined. The United States started out on the east coast, so you already have a 'naming' bias of everything that would be added later being contextual to where we started. Then, with the Louisiana Purchase, it became the 'west' or even the 'northwest'. But over the 1800's, with knowledge that it wasn't the westernmost part of the continent, and then with the acquisitions of even more land, it became the middle west as distinguished from the "far west", hence, midwest. 

It's similar to how the middle east isn't that middle or that east when you look at the whole map of europe and asia, but it was given an england/europe-centric based name. 

We need something to refer to the trans-appalachia area of our country and I guess midwest is the best we have, although the term is more of a cultural construct term than a geographical term these days, if you ask me. 

Yeah, I ask if they also still believe the earth is flat when they bring up this argument. 

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I believe your current conference was once the Western Conference. 

Consider the topography without political boundaries.  The midwest is flat and damp.  Then it becomes a drier prairie, then mountains or desert. 

At least those people stopped using "Western" conference. The mideast still unable to acknowledge modern cartography, I suppose. Well, modern in the sense of knowing about it a couple centuries ago.

9 hours ago, admo said:

Never.

South Carolina was an add-on.  Vandy is private.  If you in the SEC - no way you are moving.  Nebraska could be invited, and would never leave, quickly shouting SEC SEC SEC.  No matter their W-L record.  Even if it was back in 2010.

In 2011 Arkansas was 11-2, and 6-2 in the SEC.  Pretty nice, right?  Absolutely.  Yet they were 3rd in their own division (West) behind LSU (#1) and Alabama (#2).  Pretty sure if OU or Texas does something like that, they will definitely be in the playoffs.  And it will happen.

We can show examples all day.  To me the SEC is great football, regardless of the south obsession and media hype.  I never miss a 2:30pm game on CBS.  But I will never miss an Army/Navy game, either.  Or Texas vs OU at the cotton bowl.  Or USC vs UCLA.  Or Notre Dame vs Southern Cal.  Michigan vs Ohio State,  TCU vs Baylor,  Florida vs Georgia,  Nebraska vs OU, Miami vs FSU, the third Saturday in October (Tennessee-Alabama), the Iron Bowl, Texas vs Texas A&M, Arkansas vs Texas or Texas A&M, Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State, Pittsburgh vs Penn State, LSU vs Auburn, etc, etc, etc. 

The point I am trying to make is that the SEC is solid college football week in and week out.  2:30pm games and night games especially.  Agreeable or not. We tune in to see these match ups, to see these big and fast players, with something on the line, and possible upsets.  Oklahoma and Texas will add more excitement to it.  Even if it's a game like, OU vs Missouri (both chanting SEC SEC SEC). 

Sorry PAC 12

Sorry ACC 

Sorry Big Ten 

Sorry Kansas and Rutgers.  One of you has basketball, at least.  The other has White Castle (mmHmmm)

Wait, who wants or misses Kansas again?  Said no one in the Big Ten (with the only exception being a part of our fanbase). 

The Big Ten will never get Notre Dame to join us.  But that hope is way better than going for an AAU Kansas, which brings only basketball aspirations.  And then having Husker fans clap and cheer after a boring, 68-10 beat down in football after a 11AM, Saturday kickoff.  I might as well bring my radio and go fishing. 

Awful interesting you're poo-pooing a hypothetical 68-10 beat down after the last 5 years of Husker football. 

Also, sometimes you have to take what you can get. Kansas might not bring a lot for football (yet; Lance Leopold is a fantastic coach), but like you said, they'd immediately be the best team in basketball, and that's nothing to sneeze at, especially for a conference that values basketball like the Big Ten does. And, they're the most realistic option for inclusion at the moment, so they cannot be dismissed offhand. 

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Redux said:

If all of the surviving power conferences are eventually going to 20+ teams, then why be stingy with KU and ISU?  Both are AAU.  KU brings a ton of eyeballs and money to the table with BB.  ISU is a rising star in football.  Our conference the Big TEN has become the biggest snob on the college athletic block and it is going to come back to bite us in the rear when all of the realignment dust settles.  Maybe this rejection gives a hint that the Big ten has their sights on bigger fish..namely PAC12 schools and wants to be the first FBS conference to go Coast to Coast. 

9 minutes ago, Bledred said:

If all of the surviving power conferences are eventually going to 20+ teams, then why be stingy with KU and ISU?  Both are AAU.  KU brings a ton of eyeballs and money to the table with BB.  ISU is a rising star in football.  Our conference the Big TEN has become the biggest snob on the college athletic block and it is going to come back to bite us in the rear when all of the realignment dust settles.  Maybe this rejection gives a hint that the Big ten has their sights on bigger fish..namely PAC12 schools and wants to be the first FBS conference to go Coast to Coast. 

It's because ISU is a flash in the pan in terms of on field success, sustainability isn't likely and they don't bring much in terms of revenue.  Kansas is the worst football team in the FBS and their Basketball brand comes with baggage.

I'd feel good about bigger fish if Warren weren't the AD.  I expect Temple and Syracuse to be his goal if he even has one.