So NU SHould Have Went Back to the Big 12?

On 8/6/2021 at 3:22 AM, internetman said:

I agree with you.... but this is the program that tried to get out of the OU game..... scrapped a home and home with WSU....

they don't want to play P5  teams it seems....  here are the non-con coming in the years: Fordham, Buffalo, OU, North Dakota, GSU, colorado

La Tech, NIU, UTEP, Akron, Cin, ULM

We almost had a h &h with Washington State?!!....living in Spokane I have been WANTING THAT FOR YEARS!!!!!

• Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Kayak said:

Probably won’t see 4 groups of 16 teams unless there is a television deal that is equitable to all 4 groups.  No one wants the other 8 from the Big 12 because they don’t bring even half the money to the table that the current conferences distribute currently.  So if they add teams, each team in a conference would likely make less per year.  Just not going to happen without an NFL like broadcast deal.

And a 6-6 team that wins its pod is like winning the AFC Central, just what college football needs :sarcasm

• Plus1 1
On 8/6/2021 at 11:00 AM, Bledred said:

The one who tried to back us out of the OU game is now gone.  Trev will be looking for the toughest opponents he can find to fill out our future schedules.  In order to be the best you have to beat the best.  We will not be climbing back into the top 25 by beating Fordham or Akron. 

Wouldn't count on that.  The scheduling will likely still be similar to what it's been for all my life.  One marque OOC and some G5 or worse games to fill in around it.  It's the smart way to schedule even though that's not what the fans like to see.

• Plus1 1
21 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wouldn't count on that.  The scheduling will likely still be similar to what it's been for all my life.  One marque OOC and some G5 or worse games to fill in around it.  It's the smart way to schedule even though that's not what the fans like to see.

Hold it there Buster.  The landmasses of college football are about to shift in a major way.  We just saw a massive seismic shift with OU ant TX.  More is to follow soon.  When the dust settles, I guarantee you college football will look nothing like it does now.   There will most likely be 3 power conferences and everybody else looking in.  The power conferences will want to keep all of their TV money in-house and we will have a large plethora of teams to play for free in our mega conferences. This may force the 'other' teams left outside to form their own 8 or 12 team tournament and crown their own 'champion' (just like the NIT in BB).

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Hold it there Buster.  The landmasses of college football are about to shift in a major way.  We just saw a massive seismic shift with OU ant TX.  More is to follow soon.  When the dust settles, I guarantee you college football will look nothing like it does now.   There will most likely be 3 power conferences and everybody else looking in.  The power conferences will want to keep all of their TV money in-house and we will have a large plethora of teams to play for free in our mega conferences. This may force the 'other' teams left outside to form their own 8 or 12 team tournament and crown their own 'champion' (just like the NIT in BB).

There will still be games against the "lesser" teams because that's where you get the extra home games to get ticket and other associated revenue.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

There will still be games against the "lesser" teams because that's where you get the extra home games to get ticket and other associated revenue.

Not if we strike a deal with FOX to kick-in additional money for having a major prime-time game like Oregon vs. OSU, or NU vs. USC.  They would be hitting multiple major TV markets across half the US after all.  Would not get that same nationwide TV appeal with NU vs. Temple or Michigan vs. Tulane. 

If I was Big XII commish I would do whatever I could to keep the league.  Extend it to these teams.  Keep the proximity close.  I mean, the goal of every conference is to send the champ to the 12 team FBS playoffs. 

Big 12

TCU
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Houston
Baylor
Cincinnati
West Virginia
Memphis
Louisiana
Texas Tech
Kansas State
Kansas

In this scenario, I'm thinking UCF and BYU are too far away and opposite directions.  It doesn't even make sense to me. 

With OU and UT gone, it could be a great conference, with new champions. 

The playoffs would be excited to take the Big 12 winner of, example

11-1 Oklahoma State vs 10-2 TCU

12-0 Cincinnati vs 11-1 Iowa State

11-1 Louisiana vs 10-2 Oklahoma State

etc, etc.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Not if we strike a deal with FOX to kick-in additional money for having a major prime-time game like Oregon vs. OSU, or NU vs. USC.  They would be hitting multiple major TV markets across half the US after all.  Would not get that same nationwide TV appeal with NU vs. Temple or Michigan vs. Tulane. 

I don't think you really know that with anything close to the certainty you are trying to portray.

Oregon vs OSU would add to the pot.  Rutgers vs Oregon State?  Not so much.

I just don't think the increase in TV money is going to out-pace the value of a home game to the Ohio States, Michigans, Penn States, Nebraskas, etc.  If you divide the entire B1G payout (which covers all sports, not just football) only among 12 football games it comes out to about $4.5M for each of 12 football games.  So the actual number per game is less than that.  NU gets about $4.8M per home game just from actual ticket sales, not counting donations for tickets, concessions, parking, etc.  The other teams with stadiums that seat 20,000+ more than Nebraska are probably more than that.

I could possibly see the scheduling alliance game replacing one of the "easy" non-cons.  Possibly.  But not all of them.  And it won't surprise me if they only replace the existing one marquee non-con or even cut back the conference schedule to eight instead.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think you really know that with anything close to the certainty you are trying to portray.

Oregon vs OSU would add to the pot.  Rutgers vs Oregon State?  Not so much.

I just don't think the increase in TV money is going to out-pace the value of a home game to the Ohio States, Michigans, Penn States, Nebraskas, etc.  If you divide the entire B1G payout (which covers all sports, not just football) only among 12 football games it comes out to about $4.5M for each of 12 football games.  So the actual number per game is less than that.  NU gets about $4.8M per home game just from actual ticket sales, not counting donations for tickets, concessions, parking, etc.  The other teams with stadiums that seat 20,000+ more than Nebraska are probably more than that.

I could possibly see the scheduling alliance game replacing one of the "easy" non-cons.  Possibly.  But not all of them.  And it won't surprise me if they only replace the existing one marquee non-con or even cut back the conference schedule to eight instead.

We get roughly 5 million per home game but still have to pay the opposing G5 team 1.1 or 1.2 million, so maybe we get 4.8 million for the game.  Times that by 3 and you get 14.4 million.  I don't think the conference is going to put up any kind of fight during the new TV contract renewal to keep the G5 games when each school will be bringing in 70-80+ million per year.  The network will want the marquee match-ups for maximum amount of TV eyeball attraction every weekend and will therefore want all of our games to be in-house in the new mega conference.  There is no way we squabble over 10-15 million in a 70+ million per year contract.  Money is driving the boat and the money is coming from the TV networks and the TV networks want major big name match-ups to sell their product.  I understand there are bad match-ups such as Rutgers vs. Oregon State, but thankfully those are not the only two teams that will play every weekend and there will be a major marquee match-up between a PAC12 and B1G team the three weekends that they will occur in the season.  I am sure the people in charge of the scheduling will be sure to connect some big name schools for those three weekends.

10 minutes ago, Bledred said:

We get roughly 5 million per home game but still have to pay the opposing G5 team 1.1 or 1.2 million, so maybe we get 4.8 million for the game.  Times that by 3 and you get 14.4 million.  I don't think the conference is going to put up any kind of fight during the new TV contract renewal to keep the G5 games when each school will be bringing in 70-80+ million per year.  The network will want the marquee match-ups for maximum amount of TV eyeball attraction every weekend and will therefore want all of our games to be in-house in the new mega conference.  There is no way we squabble over 10-15 million in a 70+ million per year contract.  Money is driving the boat and the money is coming from the TV networks and the TV networks want major big name match-ups to sell their product.  I understand there are bad match-ups such as Rutgers vs. Oregon State, but thankfully those are not the only two teams that will play every weekend and there will be a major marquee match-up between a PAC12 and B1G team the three weekends that they will occur in the season.  I am sure the people in charge of the scheduling will be sure to connect some big name schools for those three weekends.

The conferences don’t do the OOC scheduling. The individual programs do.  

If you think you are going to get programs like Alabama to schedule a tough OOC with some not home games and outside of the SEC foot print, you’re dreaming. 

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1

11 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The conferences don’t do the OOC scheduling. The individual programs do.  

If you think you are going to get programs like Alabama to schedule a tough OOC with some not home games and outside of the SEC foot print, you’re dreaming. 

I was not talking about the SEC.  I am referring to the rumored deal between the PAC12, B1G and FOX in scheduling cross conference games to tie more meaning into the Rose Bowl. 

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

There's no way we don't try to increase our revenue by 20%??? TWENTY percent?

When offered a 70 million a year deal you take it.  You however do not say...."nah, we don't want to lose our 15 million in home game revenue from OOC games".   This is an either or issue. 

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Bledred said:

I was not talking about the SEC.  I am referring to the rumored deal between the PAC12, B1G and FOX in scheduling cross conference games to tie more meaning into the Rose Bowl. 

Fine, you’re not going to get OSU or any other serious contender for the playoffs to schedule all P5 type games in the OOC. 

• Plus1 2