4 Super Conferences - 2030 Football Edition

The only P5 team that was left out was TCU (came from the Mountain West). Some divisional teams can be moved around but you get the picture. I believe this is what it will come to in the near future and we will see a 16 team playoff. After the division winners are determined, the next 8 teams are chosen by the committee will qualify for the Playoff. I don't see a reason for a lot of the non-P5 teams to exist anymore in the same league TBH and haven't for a lot of years. You get a breakthrough team once a decade but they fit better in their own league overall instead of the FBS. This will also require teams to schedule some harder out of conference games going forward. B10 can also keep their name if it makes them feel better. 

Midwestern Conference 

(Division 1)

Illinois 

Iowa

Iowa State

Kansas

Nebraska

Minnesota

Northwestern

Wisconsin

(Division 2)

Indiana

Maryland

Michigan 

Michigan State

Purdue

Ohio State

Penn State

Rutgers

Pacific Conference

(Division 1)

Cal

Oregon 

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

Utah

Washington

Washington State

(Division 2)

Arizona
Arizona State 

Baylor

BYU

Colorado

Kansas St

Texas Tech

USC

Southeastern Conference

(Divison 1)

Alabama

Auburn

Mississippi St

Missouri

Oklahoma

Ole Miss

Texas

Texas A&M

(Divison 2)

Arkansas

Florida

Georgia

Kentucky

LSU

Oklahoma St

South Carolina 

Tennessee

Atlantic Coastal Conference 

(Divison 1)

Boston College

Clemson

Florida St

Pittsburgh

Syracuse 

Vanderbilt

Virginia Tech

West Virginia

(Divison 2)

Duke

Georgia Tech

Louisville

NC St

North Carolina

Notre Dame

Miami
Virginia

• Plus1 2

Take this and make everyone else in a lower division.  If some teams suck, you can move them down and other teams can come up.  Get a committee to decide who goes up and who goes down.  When you go down, you make less money.  When you go up, you make more.  If some of the teams in your senerio don't want to invest money to compete, let other teams in that will.  This does not have to be tied to the current conferences.  TCU has been much more competitive than KU.  NCAA doesn't run FB, it does run everything else.  For other sports, leave the traditional conference format.

Bottom tier can have their own playoff.

That is exactly what I am thinking.  FB is a different animal.  Even in HS it is the thing that causes issues within conferences.  I am back to coaching HS FB this year.  I see us as a FB team getting our HS kicked out of our conference in 2 years.  (I hope) Becaue we are kicking the crap out of everyone.

KU might want to just play FCS FB, but given the current format, they can't.  Just make FB it's own thing.

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

That is exactly what I am thinking.  FB is a different animal.  Even in HS it is the thing that causes issues within conferences.  I am back to coaching HS FB this year.  I see us as a FB team getting our HS kicked out of our conference in 2 years.  (I hope) Becaue we are kicking the crap out of everyone.

KU might want to just play FCS FB, but given the current format, they can't.  Just make FB it's own thing.

Man, really?

You guys must be killing teams because that hardly ever happens.  How many conference games do you have each season where you and the staff are like "Yeah, this game will be over by half"

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Man, really?

You guys must be killing teams because that hardly ever happens.  How many conference games do you have each season where you and the staff are like "Yeah, this game will be over by half"

Not yet, hoping for that in a few years.  We have been OK the last few years, but with our freshman class.  It could happen.

We are also growing.  We might bet too big for our conference.  We have 3 divisions and the bigger schools are on the other side of the city.  They would want us going over there.  No thank you!  Trying to get across Cleveland in rush hour traffic?  No way!

• Oh Yeah! 1

Like the idea,  but 2030? This s#!ts prolly going down by 2023...

I just don’t see how it this goes through there isn’t a massive consolidation immediately.

I thought I saw a post along these lines proposing a big10/pac12 alliance where the league remains relatively the same but bakes in set matchups and a rose bowl game between the 2 conferences. Thought that was pretty cool because these massive leagues feel like we’re just watering s#!t down at this point 

Here's a novel idea for Big Ten expansion:

Add USC; UCLA; Stanford; California; Oregon; Washington; Colorado; all of which are AAU members

The new conference would have 21 teams: East; Middle; West

East would be the current Big Ten East; Middle would be the current Big Ten West; West would be the new Pac additions

Conference championship tournament would be each division winner plus a 4th team "wildcard" ... or three teams with the #1 seed getting a bye.

The Big Ten would add the following markets:

Los Angeles (#2 TV market)
San Francisco (#6 TV market)
Seattle (#12 TV market)
Denver (#16 TV market)
Portland (#21 TV market)
San Diego (#27 TV market)

If you're stuck on the idea of an even number of teams and two (or four) divisions, then add Georgia Tech (Atlanta, #7 TV market), UNC (Charlotte, #22 TV market; Raleigh, #24 TV market), and Vanderbilt (Nashville, #30 TV market).

Big Ten Atlantic
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Vanderbilt

Big Ten Great Lakes
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Big Ten Plains
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado

Big Ten Pacific
USC
UCLA
California
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Saw this on another forum, and just wow im speechless.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Here's a novel idea for Big Ten expansion:

Add USC; UCLA; Stanford; California; Oregon; Washington; Colorado; all of which are AAU members

The new conference would have 21 teams: East; Middle; West

East would be the current Big Ten East; Middle would be the current Big Ten West; West would be the new Pac additions

Conference championship tournament would be each division winner plus a 4th team "wildcard" ... or three teams with the #1 seed getting a bye.

The Big Ten would add the following markets:

Los Angeles (#2 TV market)
San Francisco (#6 TV market)
Seattle (#12 TV market)
Denver (#16 TV market)
Portland (#21 TV market)
San Diego (#27 TV market)

If you're stuck on the idea of an even number of teams and two (or four) divisions, then add Georgia Tech (Atlanta, #7 TV market), UNC (Charlotte, #22 TV market; Raleigh, #24 TV market), and Vanderbilt (Nashville, #30 TV market).

Big Ten Atlantic
Penn State
Rutgers
Maryland
Georgia Tech
North Carolina
Vanderbilt

Big Ten Great Lakes
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Big Ten Plains
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Nebraska
Colorado

Big Ten Pacific
USC
UCLA
California
Stanford
Oregon
Washington

Saw this on another forum, and just wow im speechless.

When I see this my only thought is f#&% it let’s just scrap college sports all together. 

• Plus1 3

Maybe we’re overthinking this.

Make it as simple as the B1G adding a couple teams; maybe KU and Pitt, or whoever.

Then the B1G and SEC just become scheduling partners.  The non conference games could be seeded somehow to benefit the top teams and also promote big games.

Out of 3 non conference games one could be against the team matching in conference rank, #2 could be high seed vs low seed, and #3…I’m open to anything.

Could be fun for neutral site games and Tv providers would love that schedule.

• Plus1 1