4 Super Conferences - 2030 Football Edition

53 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why all the Rutgers hate?

I'm stating things from a geographically smaller footprint.  "Hate" and all of it's political sentiment these days ... is not what I am stating at all.  I'd like to see things more midwest.  So, in that, I'm not a Penn State fan either.  Obviously, love them for football, but it's more about a footprint for me.  I'm also not looking at my statement from a financial perspective.  If I was then, then I would blow up all conference ideas and state that I want our conference to consist of Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, USC, Texas, Georgia, Florida, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon [you can add in other great football schools/markets].

For me, I'd even go to 8 team conferences and make them more geographical so one could see better travel and rivalries.  Obviously, the world is different now and my view doesn't work ... but again, if things are going to be blown up ... then if their is openness to what would make college football great ... verses just about the money and "super-conferences" ... this would be my hope [although I know it would be trumped and laughed at by others].

On a more humble note ... Nebraska can be thankful that we got taken in by the B1G.  I don't think our fans would be able to stomach the turmoil we would be in had we not got taken in.  :-)  Very fortunate for us.  There really is not a lot of love for us in the conference or around the country [as I see it].

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, lo country said:

Outside of OU and UT, who else from the Big XII would get more TV views, drive more revenue etc?  SEC is in the driver seat for revenue, recruiting hotbed and money......

No one. I wonder if the rumblings of Clemson and Ohio State looking at the SEC are true also. If that were to happen that's pretty much the end as we know it. You'd have the NFL light and everyone else. Every top recruit is gonna go to the SEC and forget about anyone else being able to compete.  I could see them kicking out schools like Vandy and Kentucky to add a few more big names possibly.

Not really a fan of the Kansas option....

If I'm Warren, my first call is to Mizzou. 

I think they're staring at a future of being a perennial door mat in an absolutely stacked SEC.  So if the B1G gave them an "out" with an academic upgrade and back into a regional pod where they have a chance to be competitive, I think they might jump on it.  And again that serves up another significant TV market to the conference going forward.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Not really a fan of the Kansas option....

If I'm Warren, my first call is to Mizzou. 

I think they're staring at a future of being a perennial door mat in an absolutely stacked SEC.  So if the B1G gave them an "out" with an academic upgrade and back into a regional pod where they have a chance to be competitive, I think they might jump on it.  And again that serves up another significant TV market to the conference going forward.

I dont think mizzou would leave the SEC for a stapled together BIG10 (added pac-10 teams). this all screams ohio state and michigan will be with these other elites before long.

You're assuming the PAC breaks down too?

I think they're more likely to wish to remain independent and try to add pieces from the dismantled BIG12.

Now if the SEC manages to pull apart the ACC and grab Clemson and FSU, then all bets are off, but my bet at the moment is we'll end up with (4) 16-team conferences:

B1G

SEC

PAC

ACC

3 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

You're assuming the PAC breaks down too?

I think they're more likely to wish to remain independent and try to add pieces from the dismantled BIG12.

Now if the SEC manages to pull apart the ACC and grab Clemson and FSU, then all bets are off, but my bet at the moment is we'll end up with (4) 16-team conferences:

B1G

SEC

PAC

ACC

if the big10 doesnt add some elite western teams (pac-10)  i dont think ohio state or michigan stay around.

especially if SEC raids the ACC

l think the biggest wild card is if universities choose to split football out from their rest of their athletic programs.  Such a decision would allow for nation-wide mega conferences for football and regional conferences for everything else.

The key restrictions on mega conferences being applied to all sports is examples like  Rutgers being afford to spend the money to send their ladies bowling teams to California or Washington for a non-revenue generating sport....

So if the non-revenue sports MUST stay in the same conference as football, there needs to be some regional role.  But if football can somehow be cleaved out, you have a completely open playing field and all the traditional rules are out the window.

9 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I like the work done here.  For me, I'm gonna do what I can to get Missouri into the B1G and Rutgers out.  That is the one that I would want different.  

I understand they’re after TV money but does anybody from New Jersey actually tune in to watch Rutgers? I’m honestly asking…. That is probably the single biggest downfall to the B1G for me, there is absolutely 0 appeal to playing Rutgers and Maryland in any sport. Let’s trade those two teams for a couple teams west of the Missouri River and call it good. 

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

No one. I wonder if the rumblings of Clemson and Ohio State looking at the SEC are true also. If that were to happen that's pretty much the end as we know it. You'd have the NFL light and everyone else. Every top recruit is gonna go to the SEC and forget about anyone else being able to compete.  I could see them kicking out schools like Vandy and Kentucky to add a few more big names possibly.

I didn’t hear that about Clemson or OSU.....When looking at the OP, I actually thought about the B1G going after Clemson.. Get into the south, history ( limited with NU/OSU........Be great for the B1G.  Some team besides OSU.....

or Clemson forms it’s own  conference with blue blood programs......

Article here......NU needs to make a move or we might be left out.  Only th8ng we have now is name cache.....

https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/24/clemson-football-conference-compete-sec/

1 hour ago, Farms said:

I understand they’re after TV money but does anybody from New Jersey actually tune in to watch Rutgers? I’m honestly asking…. That is probably the single biggest downfall to the B1G for me, there is absolutely 0 appeal to playing Rutgers and Maryland in any sport. Let’s trade those two teams for a couple teams west of the Missouri River and call it good. 

I actually forgot about Maryland.  Ya, I would trade them as well.

58 minutes ago, lo country said:

or Clemson forms it’s own  conference with blue blood programs......

Article here......NU needs to make a move or we might be left out.  Only th8ng we have now is name cache.....

https://rubbingtherock.com/2021/07/24/clemson-football-conference-compete-sec/

The bold is spot on. If there are four 16-team conferences, NU probably safe (and I'd hope not all of the "good" programs are all in 1 or 2 conference). If there is one super conference, NU would be in trouble unless they start winning 9+ soon. 

Of course, if one super conference (even more so than the current SEC with Texas and OU) is developed, I wonder if the rest of the country will tune-out, thus ultimately hurting that super-conference's financials enough for them to want to return to a more reasonable distribution of talent and wealth.   

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems like a pod system works better with 16 teams.  I would prefer a couple eastern teams because I think a West Pod of Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota and Wisconsin would be a lot of fun and preserve a lot of rivalries.

But since it seems like the most likely additions would all be western-ish team, I'd go for a pod system something like this:

• Four 4-team Pods
  • Play your Pod every year (those three teams home-and-home every two years)
  • Play one other "paired" Pod every year (every other team every three years, home-and-home every six years)
  • "Protected" games each year to preserve rivalries while balancing pods
  • The team with the best record within each year's paired Pods goes to the CCG

At first I wanted to play half of a third Pod each year instead of the protected games (so you would play every team at least every-other year) but I think it would be too hard to keep all the rivalries so there would be too much push-back.

East Pod: Ohio State, Penn State, Rutgers, Maryland

Central Pod: Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana

North Pod: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Illinois

West Pod: Nebraska, Iowa, two additions (Kansas, Iowa State, USC, UCLA, etc.)

Rivalries CAPS=in-pod; red=protected, played every year; black=if possible, trophy game not necessarily preserved

Illinois - NORTHWESTERN, Purdue, Ohio State

Indiana - MICHIGAN STATEPURDUE

Iowa - NEBRASKA, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Maryland - PENN STATE

Michigan - MICHIGAN STATE, OHIO STATE, Minnesota, Northwestern

Michigan State - MICHIGANINDIANA, Penn State

Minnesota - WISCONSIN, MichiganIowa, Penn State, Nebraska

Nebraska -  IOWA, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Northwestern - ILLINOIS, Michigan

Ohio State - MICHIGAN, Illinois, Penn State

Penn State - MAYRLANDMichigan State, Ohio State, Minnesota

Purdue - INDIANAIllinois

Rutgers - 

Wisconsin - MINNESOTAIowa, Nebraska

Trophy Games not guaranteed, these games would be schedules if possible depending on how the pods were paired and protected rivalries were scheduled: Michigan/Northwestern, Minnesota/Penn State, Nebraska/Minnesota, Nebraska/Wisconsin, Ohio State/Penn State

• Plus1 1