4 Super Conferences - 2030 Football Edition

In all this apparent chaos we must have faith in our appointed leader to guide us through the college football wilderness. 

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren

“I am focused on picking the appropriate time to really spend the time, energy and effort with the necessary constituents to determine when the right time is and what we need to do, how we need to structure any potential expansion of College Football Playoffs.”

We are sooooo screwed!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Mavric said:

West Pod: Nebraska, Iowa, two additions (Kansas, Iowa State, USC, UCLA, etc.)

Would suck being stuck bearing the a larger travel burden than most if we raid the Pac, but probably what it will come down to.

I was originally all 4 adding isu and kansas i think bring back those teams made the most sense geographically and we could rekindle some of our big 8 brothers.  But the more i think about it with the sec playing chess and everyone else still playing checkers im not sure its the best move.  Sure all those other things are nice and rosey colored but the fact is that if we are going to be competing for big viewing draws and getting the most out of the universities those arent the best choices.  Not sure if grabbing anyone else from the big 12 would be any better.  So whats left, head out west and drag out footprint further which is ludacris for travel times for a sports venue.  It just seemed simpler around 15 years ago.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I was originally all 4 adding isu and kansas i think bring back those teams made the most sense geographically and we could rekindle some of our big 8 brothers.  But the more i think about it with the sec playing chess and everyone else still playing checkers im not sure its the best move.  Sure all those other things are nice and rosey colored but the fact is that if we are going to be competing for big viewing draws and getting the most out of the universities those arent the best choices.  Not sure if grabbing anyone else from the big 12 would be any better.  So whats left, head out west and drag out footprint further which is ludacris for travel times for a sports venue.  It just seemed simpler around 15 years ago.

Head south.  Make a play for Clemson/FSU......TV markets, recruiting hot bed.  Maybe keep some FL recruits.....

Not to sound like a doomsayer, but if NU isn’t out banging on doors we will be left in some rag tag conference with Maryland, Pitt, KU, and others......I still see us as a Blue Blood program, but unsure outside of NU fans, does anyone else.  As it stands right now, in a new power conference we could be the Blue Blood gimme on most teams schedules......And that’s whats concerning....But also a reason we might have a shot despite a losing record, 4 straight no bowl seasons etc.....Faithful to a fault fans.  Who travel and spend money.

• Plus1 1
On 7/23/2021 at 2:16 PM, BIG ERN said:

Pacific Conference

(Division 1)

Cal

Oregon 

Oregon State

Stanford

UCLA

Utah

Washington

Washington State

(Division 2)

Arizona
Arizona State 

Baylor

BYU

Colorado

Kansas St

Texas Tech

USC

Under normal circumstances, I would say "no freakin' way" we pick up two religious schools and/or four non-AAU schools.  But these aren't normal circumstances.  As for this, I would switch up UCLA and Colorado.  No way they separate the LA schools.  

9 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

In all this apparent chaos we must have faith in our appointed leader to guide us through the college football wilderness. 

Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren

“I am focused on picking the appropriate time to really spend the time, energy and effort with the necessary constituents to determine when the right time is and what we need to do, how we need to structure any potential expansion of College Football Playoffs.”

We are sooooo screwed!

Starting to believe that Warren is a SEC plant.  The guy had his son playing SEC football while simultaneously halting the play of football in the conference he is in charge of which happens to be the SEC's biggest conference rival in money and exposure.  Therefore pushing the marque teams in the Big 10 out of the playoff and getting them to question why they are in the conference.  Then the SEC swoops in with their sweet heart deal and tons of money.  At what point do people realize they are being conned? 

We could be watching an evil genius plan (that is 10 years in the making) of the SEC/ESPN unfolding right before our very eyes.  If OSU and Michigan bolt to the SEC, the Warren plant will have served his purpose beautifully.

This all has the stench of ESPN all over it.  ESPN practically owns college football with having the rights to every bowl game and every playoff game.  Now they want the rights to ALL of the marque teams and top dollar teams.  If OSU and Michigan go to the SEC, they would have the entire top 10 most valued teams (according to the Wall Street Journal) in all of college football in the SEC after the OU and Texas additions.  We are witnessing a coup of the sport, and ESPN/Disney and SEC are to blame. 

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Bledred said:

Starting to believe that Warren is a SEC plant.  The guy had his son playing SEC football while simultaneously halting the play of football in the conference he is in charge of which happens to be the SEC's biggest conference rival in money and exposure.  Therefore pushing the marque teams in the Big 10 out of the playoff and getting them to question why they are in the conference.  Then the SEC swoops in with their sweet heart deal and tons of money.  At what point do people realize they are being conned? 

We could be watching an evil genius plan (that is 10 years in the making) of the SEC/ESPN unfolding right before our very eyes.  If OSU and Michigan bolt to the SEC, the Warren plant will have served his purpose beautifully.

This all has the stench of ESPN all over it.  ESPN practically owns college football with having the rights to every bowl game and every playoff game.  Now they want the rights to ALL of the marque teams and top dollar teams.  If OSU and Michigan go to the SEC, they would have the entire top 10 most valued teams (according to the Wall Street Journal) in all of college football in the SEC after the OU and Texas additions.  We are witnessing a coup of the sport, and ESPN/Disney and SEC are to blame. 

The “Warren is an SEC plant” isnt something I’m ready to get on board with.

But the ESPN/Disney looking to hoard all the game pieces is pretty obvious.  Once they have the top 32 teams (could happen pretty quickly when the B1G redoes tv rights) I’d expect a NCAAFB streaming channel of all the games at at a price that will make everyone b!^@h, but just low enough that we’ll pay…

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

But the ESPN/Disney looking to hoard all the game pieces is pretty obvious.  Once they have the top 32 teams (could happen pretty quickly when the B1G redoes tv rights)

Is Fox's 51% ownership of BTN up for sale? If so, that's news to me.

23 minutes ago, Farms said:

It makes sense geographically but you have some pods that are absolutely stacked and others filled with mediocre teams.

The pods could use work but I was mainly referring to the conference layout. Probably won't get much better than that with the options available and 16 team conferences.   If they go bigger than that you'll end up with 2 or 3 super conferences instead of 4.