4 Super Conferences - 2030 Football Edition

1 hour ago, Redux said:

And this^ is why that s#!thole program can rot in the Sun Belt for all I care.  Good riddance K-Sux, hope your fans are still as passionate about your new rivalry with.......Florida Atlantic.

You're giving them far too much credit. Missouri Valley maybe a better fit.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

All of this said, collegiate football needs a media counterweight to the Bristol monopoly!  ESPN leverages significant weight in conference memberships, media contracts, university administration, coaching contracts, athlete recruitment / retention, as well as participation in post-season playoffs, tournaments, and regionals.  This constitutes a monopoly on its' face and may even constitute anti-trust proceedings.  ESPN tampered with the Big XII in 2010 and did so again this year with the SEC.  

As long as ESPN is owned by and leveraged behind Disney there's no realistic chance of an on par competitor. A really good lawsuit would be, and maybe needs to be, the solution for that.

As far as the other members, I don't think any of them ever supported Texas as much as they knew they didn't have much bargaining power to stand on their own and latched themselves to the only realistically available wagon they could.

jus spit ballin...2021 is a half step to the grand plan  by no later than 2030.....Aggregate the most  profitable/best college programs in the country and leave the NCAA.  Make this move for OU and TX now, next act.... raid the B1G (MI, OSU, etc.), PAC (USC? ), ACC (Clemson)get ND, then kick out the Mizzous, ole miss's, Arkansas and leave the NCAA. create a pre NFL league, then the remaining schools go back to regional conferences of less imprtanence but look like to College football of old..Regional conferences...Like the old Big 8. fans are happy again. 

no super conferences.......maybe 24 teams...the last 10 years have shown there is no reason for 4 super conferences...Huskers have work to do to be on that short list...

just a thought

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, Husker66 said:

2021 is a half step to the grand plan  by no later than 2030.....

I was just saying in a PM, I think some are trying to rush that more than it really needs to be. Remember that last time around, A&M and Missouri joined the SEC a year after we left the Big 12. OU and Texas might be a done deal, but that doesn't mean all the other dominoes are gonna fall in the next two months.

11 hours ago, Husker66 said:

jus spit ballin...2021 is a half step to the grand plan  by no later than 2030.....Aggregate the most  profitable/best college programs in the country and leave the NCAA.  Make this move for OU and TX now, next act.... raid the B1G (MI, OSU, etc.), PAC (USC? ), ACC (Clemson)get ND, then kick out the Mizzous, ole miss's, Arkansas and leave the NCAA. create a pre NFL league, then the remaining schools go back to regional conferences of less imprtanence but look like to College football of old..Regional conferences...Like the old Big 8. fans are happy again. 

no super conferences.......maybe 24 teams...the last 10 years have shown there is no reason for 4 super conferences...Huskers have worlk to do to be on that short list...

just a thought

I just posted about this in another thread. A recent SI article said there are some administrators who believe a super league, similar to the premier league in soccer, is the right choice. If they offer relegation… I’m 100% for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/19/ncaa-restructuring-greg-sankey-sec-mark-emmert

1 hour ago, Courtesy Flush said:

I just posted about this in another thread. A recent SI article said there are some administrators who believe a super league, similar to the premier league in soccer, is the right choice. If they offer relegation… I’m 100% for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/college/2021/07/19/ncaa-restructuring-greg-sankey-sec-mark-emmert

You’re all for it leaving Nebraska out?

• Fire 1

If the Power Football institutions wish to create a Saturday semi-pro football league where players are under contract, do not need to meet any academic testing standards or be a part of the university as a student, that is fine.  Let that money reside with the semi-pro institutions so they can fund all of their other athletic programs.

That said, do not expect those of us that support student athletes and amateurism to permit the semi-pro league teams to have representation in the NCAA tournament, track & field championships, collegiate baseball, etc.  

In other words, give them want they want, MONEY!  Let us have and enjoy competition and sports without the headaches of professionalism.  Watching a relatively unknown, amateur 17 year old US Olympic swimmer win the Gold Medal in Tokyo was far more enjoyable than watching these collegiate athletes complain about 4 star accommodations or not getting paid to play.

• Plus1 7

College football, as we have known it for the past 30-40 years, is ending. And just be forewarned for about getting what you wish for, as Nebraska could very well find themselves on the outside looking in of any potential Super Conference structure, particularly if the OSU and Michigan rumors are true. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

College football, as we have known it for the past 30-40 years, is ending. And just be forewarned for about getting what you wish for, as Nebraska could very well find themselves on the outside looking in of any potential Super Conference structure, particularly if the OSU and Michigan rumors are true. 

ofcourse not, last thing Id want,  but they simply arent performing and havent in atleast 10 years arguably back to 05 or so...

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, All Hail Herbie said:

If the Power Football institutions wish to create a Saturday semi-pro football league where players are under contract, do not need to meet any academic testing standards or be a part of the university as a student, that is fine.  Let that money reside with the semi-pro institutions so they can fund all of their other athletic programs.

That said, do not expect those of us that support student athletes and amateurism to permit the semi-pro league teams to have representation in the NCAA tournament, track & field championships, collegiate baseball, etc.  

In other words, give them want they want, MONEY!  Let us have and enjoy competition and sports without the headaches of professionalism.  Watching a relatively unknown, amateur 17 year old US Olympic swimmer win the Gold Medal in Tokyo was far more enjoyable than watching these collegiate athletes complain about 4 star accommodations or not getting paid to play.

Too bad football can't go the way Hockey, Baseball, basketball has...direct from High school.

I miss the old Big 8 days when it an easy few hours drive to away games, border rivalrys, fan bases within close proximity of each other. I have lost so much interest in college football anymore. its been ruined for me and many fans. who the hell cares about Nebraska v. Rutgers, maryland, Purdue, NW, Indiana etc etc.   

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Tomhusker64 said:

Texas has 1 more win over that time period 

UT is the most valuable sports brand in NCAA. they might  have 5X the alums... Im following the money, its not about wins. UT wll be lucky to see 6 wins in the SEC while in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country....  Its like a farmer in SE nebraska on the aquifer who cant  get 80 bushel corn....staggering

7 hours ago, Husker66 said:

ofcourse not, last thing Id want,  but they simply arent performing and havent in atleast 10 years arguably back to 05 or so...

In this post, you’re talking about our football program not performing compared to Texas. Then, when someone points out they have been very similar, :movegoalpost:

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In this post, you’re talking about our football program not performing compared to Texas. Then, when someone points out they have been very similar, :movegoalpost:

I never compared us to Texas, I mentioned many others, if anything I was comparing to MI, OU, OSU, Clemson, etc. B1G, SEC.  obviously the SEC wants Texas and their big name, fans, TV eyeballs, $190M or whatever revenue they generated etc. It cant be argued they are valuable. 

• Fire 1