4 Super Conferences - 2030 Football Edition

15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You’re all for it leaving Nebraska out?

I’m all for a 64 team super league, not a 20 team SEC super league. The power 5 needs to breakaway and set up its own league. They need to allow for relegation and promotion from the league.  Nebraska would initially be in, but if they finished last in that 64 team league, they should be relegated. It would bring back excitement to a currently broken, NCAA college system. 

11 hours ago, Courtesy Flush said:

I’m all for a 64 team super league, not a 20 team SEC super league. The power 5 needs to breakaway and set up its own league. They need to allow for relegation and promotion from the league.  Nebraska would initially be in, but if they finished last in that 64 team league, they should be relegated. It would bring back excitement to a currently broken, NCAA college system. 

Of course the major problem with this proposal is that it is completely "football-centric".  If money is the aim, then let's acknowledge that fact and proceed.  However, if promoting competition is the aim, this proposal will fall well short.

An NCAA tournament that is Power 5 oriented would exclude the likes of Gonzaga, Memphis, and any AAC or Big East school.  A college baseball field devoid of UC Irvine, Cal State Fullerton, etc. would be much diminished in my opinion.  

Rather than hastily moving towards a day where more and more power is concentrated with the few, let's consider the implications for the 100's of institutions that compete in sports beyond football.  I enjoy amateur athletics and want to find a way to preserve them.  ESPN is money hungry and cares little for amateur athletics.

The year is 2030.  The Southeastern Conference has 40 teams. They play a 3 conference game schedule. Notre Dame happily joined when hearing this. Each team has a mandatory 3 FCS team crossover. The conference champion is determined by a committee that bases it's vote primarily on the eye test.  All 40 teams have an automatic bid to 128 playoff at the end of the season.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

(Texas, talking to every conference that will listen to their idea of killing the Big 12 to make a Super Conference with them, OU and some Texas schools)

(Colorado leaves)
Texas: This is terrible, they're trying to sink us all!
(Tries to join Colorado with other Texas teams)

(Nebraska leaves)
Texas: They don't care about tradition and morals and the rest of us!  They are trying to kill the Big 12!
(Makes Longhorn network, contemplates independence)

(Missouri leaves)
Texas: A sad day indeed
(Nobody cares)

(A&M Leaves)
Texas: Oh woe is me!  Our Aggie friends and Texas brethren!  Whatever will we do!
(Starts looking at Big Ten with OU, and SEC)

(Big 12 a disaster from Texas meddling and refusal to equally distribute funds and non active approach to expand for survival)
Texas: We are a proud conference!
(Takes Oklahoma and bolts for SEC)

(Texas, counting money)
Texas: We simply had no choice but to do this, you must understand and sympathize our plight)

• Plus1 1