Jump to content


Ryan Day in spreading the wealth


Recommended Posts

Ryan Day brings up an interesting point.  Spreading the wealth amongst players.......Sure the skill guys/DB's will get paid, but what about the lineman, the guys on the 2nd string etc....

 

Will some guy (Bama QB making almost 7 figures) cause some issues from other teammates?

 

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/what-was-trending-during-day-2-of-big-ten-media-days-shared-nil-income-sugar/article_9b26cdeb-d984-53a7-8da6-48ee4ff528e1.amp.html

Link to comment

Do you work in an environment where other people make different amounts of money than yourself? Does that stop you from doing your job? 

 

Ryan Day makes $5M a year as the head coach of Ohio State. Yet his admin that makes $30k still shows up to work every day. This is how the world works. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
23 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Do you work in an environment where other people make different amounts of money than yourself? Does that stop you from doing your job? 

 

Ryan Day makes $5M a year as the head coach of Ohio State. Yet his admin that makes $30k still shows up to work every day. This is how the world works. 

I do.  However, we perform the same job.  I understand where you are coming from, but the high speed positions wil get the endorsement deals.  I do not see a lot of line man or kickers getting a lot of commercial deals on tv.  

 

I think the point Day was making is will this breed animosity?  Divide the locker room?  I know in the NFL, you hear about QB's paying their OL, taking them out to dinner, buying jewelry/cars etc....Can they do this in college?  If I am a Bama OL and I am getting some deals like 10K/year and my QB is getting 7 figures and I am a 19 year old "kid", busting my a$$ and making sure he stands up right it would be hard to swallow.  I don't think we are talking a disparity of a couple $1,000.  I am guessing in the tens of 1,000's.......

 

It is going to create more problems then solutions IMHO.  I imagine schools presenting would be recruits the portfolio of their players, average amount per positions etc.....

 

I remember reading the autobiography of Deion Sanders. He did research and realized CB's were middle of the road salary wise in the NFL.  In college he created "prime time" and "neon Deion" as a persona to drive up his earning potential at the next level.......Maybe college guys will start doing this at all positions.....

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I think it was Emmitt smith would buy his linemen rolex watches. If you're a star qb or rb you'll take take of your guys up front. Also does ryan day share money with his assistant coaches who make far less than him? They're the ones out on the road recruiting and coaching up the players. I would guess he doesn't.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

I wouldn't think most lineman would be upset about the QB or skill players making more money. They already get more recognition anyway. 

 

Plus, I bet most starting lineman (if they are decent) can get endorsement deals with restaurants like buffets and barbecue joints. Any smart QB making money will be paying for his offensive line's food and beer anyway.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

6 minutes ago, Hans Gruber said:

I wouldn't think most lineman would be upset about the QB or skill players making more money. They already get more recognition anyway. 

 

Plus, I bet most starting lineman (if they are decent) can get endorsement deals with restaurants like buffets and barbecue joints. Any smart QB making money will be paying for his offensive line's food and beer anyway.

He better be keeping those guys happy or they might forget to block that blindside DE a time or two.

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

He better be keeping those guys happy or they might forget to block that blindside DE a time or two.

And then get benched…

 

Any lineman worth a “sponsorship” has the NFL in mind.  They aren’t going to put out bad tape out of spite.  Unless they’re stupid, and in that case it just makes the scout’s job easier.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

I've found many people are extremely generous and virtuous when they are spending or talking about spending other peoples money. When they have to dip into their very own pockets, there is usually an excuse, move the goalposts or they become extremely quiet. 

 

The Supreme Court said Colleges cant limit what players are being paid. Not so sure the Universities can force players to pool their NIL earnings. Dont expect most of the players to do it on their own with anything other than token amounts- unless they are really going to walk the walk. Dont expect to see that. 

 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
33 minutes ago, funhusker said:

And then get benched…

 

Any lineman worth a “sponsorship” has the NFL in mind.  They aren’t going to put out bad tape out of spite.  Unless they’re stupid, and in that case it just makes the scout’s job easier.

It was a joke. Everyone takes everything so seriously! :)

Link to comment

5 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

I think it was Emmitt smith would buy his linemen rolex watches. If you're a star qb or rb you'll take take of your guys up front. Also does ryan day share money with his assistant coaches who make far less than him? They're the ones out on the road recruiting and coaching up the players. I would guess he doesn't.

your comparing "having a job" vs "being famous"

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.





×
×
  • Create New...