MN 4th grade "Equity Survey"

I’m having trouble being outraged over this. Sure it’s way wrong for the teacher to tell the student(s) not to tell their parents but it’s also fully within the parent(s) control to nip this sh#t in the bud. If this had been our kid, and it happened exactly as portrayed in the article (questionable), I know two people who would be crawling up the a$$ of a teacher, principal and school district. The fact this is an article in the Daily Mail leads me to believe this is just intended to generate outrage. Let the parents it actually involves get outraged. I’m sure they can deal with it.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m having trouble being outraged over this. Sure it’s way wrong for the teacher to tell the student(s) not to tell their parents but it’s also fully within the parent(s) control to nip this sh#t in the bud. If this had been our kid, and it happened exactly as portrayed in the article (questionable), I know two people who would be crawling up the a$$ of a teacher, principal and school district. The fact this is an article in the Daily Mail leads me to believe this is just intended to generate outrage. Let the parents it actually involves get outraged. I’m sure they can deal with it.

And that's what thenparent is doing 

News source doesn't negate what happened.  And if anyone thinks this sort of thing is an isolated incident then we are turning a blind eye to the world.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

And that's what thenparent is doing 

News source doesn't negate what happened.  And if anyone thinks this sort of thing is an isolated incident then we are turning a blind eye to the world.

And that’s fine if this is actually genuine. But I don’t have the energy to get outraged over every effed up thing I read about. This world and country are so completely effed, I’ll leave most of these things up to the people it actually effects. There’s just too many things a person could get upset about.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

And that’s fine if this is actually genuine. But I don’t have the energy to get outraged over every effed up thing I read about. This world and country are so completely effed, I’ll leave most of these things up to the people it actually effects. There’s just too many things a person could get upset about.

We're all perfectly allowed to get outraged or annoyed or offended or frustrated with whatever we want.  And we shouldn't dismiss or shame those who don't share the same levels or sentiment.  I just hope this mindset sticks around this place.

But I digress, this sort of thing DOES effect all of us eventually if we start sitting idly by if teacher's motives become personal or nefarious.  When it comes to children, I don't have much of a buffer.  People can do as they wish to themselves, but don't corrupt children over stupid narrative bulls#!t like this story documents.  It's very real and very concerning.  I guarantee if this were someone's child from this board the reception would be much different.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Dude we're not even aware what happened. One kid said they were told not to tell their parents about a survey, while the district said parents were notified ahead of time and gave parents the option to opt out. You have seem to made up your mind of what exactly happened and are upset with it. 

• Plus1 3

27 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Dude we're not even aware what happened. One kid said they were told not to tell their parents about a survey, while the district said parents were notified ahead of time and gave parents the option to opt out. You have seem to made up your mind of what exactly happened and are upset with it. 

It's pretty clear cut what happened, not sure why we're pretending the accusations could be false.

"A boy in my class asked the teacher if his mom could explain the question to him, because even after the teacher explained it, he still didn’t understand it,” the child continued. “My teacher told him that he was not allowed to ask his mom, and that we could not repeat any of the questions to our parents.”

But yes let's pretend the 4th grader is being nefarious because her Mom might be a Karen

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, Redux said:

It's pretty clear cut what happened, not sure why we're pretending the accusations could be false.

"I think things were misinterpreted and misconstrued," said Sartell-St. Stephen Superintendent Jeffery Ridlehoover. "The teachers were asked to ensure that the students were answering the questions regarding their experience, and not from their friends or their parents or family."

"This was all done via Zoom," Ridlehoover said. "There were parents actually on the call. If we had a teacher actually tell students to keep information from their parents, our phone lines would have lit up instantaneously."

"As the superintendent, I can acknowledge that should have been handled differently," Ridlehoover said. "We did have students opt out based on the knowledge that the survey was coming, but the exact policy perhaps was not followed, and that is an error on our part."

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2021/07/27/sartell-st-stephen-superintendent-responds-equity-audit-concerns/5384858001/?cid=twitter_sctimes

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

"I think things were misinterpreted and misconstrued," said Sartell-St. Stephen Superintendent Jeffery Ridlehoover. "The teachers were asked to ensure that the students were answering the questions regarding their experience, and not from their friends or their parents or family."

"This was all done via Zoom," Ridlehoover said. "There were parents actually on the call. If we had a teacher actually tell students to keep information from their parents, our phone lines would have lit up instantaneously."

"As the superintendent, I can acknowledge that should have been handled differently," Ridlehoover said. "We did have students opt out based on the knowledge that the survey was coming, but the exact policy perhaps was not followed, and that is an error on our part."

https://www.sctimes.com/story/news/2021/07/27/sartell-st-stephen-superintendent-responds-equity-audit-concerns/5384858001/?cid=twitter_sctimes

And the school saving face with this response excuses the discretion?  He even says at the very end "welllllll MAYBE exact policy wasn't followed"  Wow, what a shocker.  Far be it from a teacher or two with personal intentions to go off script....

Also, again:

Haylee’s mother, Kelsey Yasgar, told Fox News Monday that parents knew that the audit would happen, but did not know the precise date it would take place.

“Due to the lack of transparency from the school district and from Equity Alliance MN … we were not informed of the questions on the survey,” she told “Fox & Friends

58 minutes ago, Redux said:

We're all perfectly allowed to get outraged or annoyed or offended or frustrated with whatever we want.  And we shouldn't dismiss or shame those who don't share the same levels or sentiment.  I just hope this mindset sticks around this place.

But I digress, this sort of thing DOES effect all of us eventually if we start sitting idly by if teacher's motives become personal or nefarious.  When it comes to children, I don't have much of a buffer.  People can do as they wish to themselves, but don't corrupt children over stupid narrative bulls#!t like this story documents.  It's very real and very concerning.  I guarantee if this were someone's child from this board the reception would be much different.

To be clear, I wasn’t down playing it or saying a person shouldn’t be upset by it. My tolerance for this BS would be much less if I still had school aged children. But I don’t and now I’m just a grumpy old bastard who is tired of daily hearing about yet another thing that’s effed up on this planet. It just gets old (and that is not intended to shoot the messenger).

• Haha 1