Recruiting Impact to NU with KSU/KU/ISU/OK St in revamped B12 or AAC/MWC

So I was thinking about this the other day and I think it’s a pretty legitimate topic to consider- how much does it help NU on the trail if Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, and Oklahoma State either remain in the “new” Big 12 with 8 teams or some combination winds up in the AAC/MWC? We recruit fairly heavily in Kansas as is and have experience a good amount of success there. We also have gone into Iowa for some kids and obviously the Omaha kids tend to field offers from these local teams as well. Does the new conference makeup or affiliation help NU in our pitch to some of these kids? Does a guy like Breece Hall from KS who NU wanted badly not go to ISU all of a sudden because of the competition gap between what ISU will be playing going forward versus being in the B1G?

I think this could really be beneficial to NU moving forward and help solidify that 500 mile radius, especially in Iowa and Kansas. 

• Plus1 6

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

I mean, sure, but Nebraska might not be finding themselves in the new "big league" structure. 

Won't be an issue thanks to the sellout streak.. But for serious.. People want to pretend that things like that don't matter and are silly, but its the fanbase and the high level of program support across the country that keeps NU in the conversation. The brand still generates plenty of money for the major "leagues" to want a bite.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Won't be an issue thanks to the sellout streak.. But for serious.. People want to pretend that things like that don't matter and are silly, but its the fanbase and the high level of program support across the country that keeps NU in the conversation. The brand still generates plenty of money for the major "leagues" to want a bite.

This is a good point. I could see the B1G kicking us out if we weren't bringing in solid athletics money.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Because of their track record of kicking out teams like Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland etc.?

Indiana doesn't bring in solid athletics money?  Nebraska brought in about $136 mil in 2019.  Indiana brought in about $128 mil in 2019.  I'm willing to bet that number will jump significantly if Mike Woodson gets the basketball team competing again.

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Because of their track record of kicking out teams like Illinois, Indiana, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland etc.?

We are at the bottom academically too by the rankings they use. That's where the risk would come from.

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Indiana doesn't bring in solid athletics money?  Nebraska brought in about $136 mil in 2019.  Indiana brought in about $128 mil in 2019.  I'm willing to bet that number will jump significantly if Mike Woodson gets the basketball team competing again.

I wasn’t inferring any of those teams don’t bring in solid athletics money necessarily. My only point was that Nebraska is not at risk of getting kicked out of the B1G due to not bringing in athletics money. If we’re in danger using that criteria then a whole bunch of other B1G schools would also be. I thought it was a rather silly thing to say.

• Plus1 2

23 minutes ago, not me said:

We are at the bottom academically too by the rankings they use. That's where the risk would come from.

I don't think NU is in any danger of being kicked out of the Big Ten.  Yes, NU could be performing better on the athletic fields, but they bring the Big Ten eyeballs across the country (and world) from alumni and NU fans watching NU sports.  Yes, UNL isn't great academically, but the school and research $ have improved significantly since joining the Big Ten.

I don't think conferences are in a habit of kicking members schools out of their leagues, despite what Desmond Howard tells everyone.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think NU is in any danger of being kicked out of the Big Ten.  Yes, NU could be performing better on the athletic fields, but they bring the Big Ten eyeballs across the country (and world) from alumni and NU fans watching NU sports.  Yes, UNL isn't great academically, but the school and research $ have improved significantly since joining the Big Ten.

I don't think conferences are in a habit of kicking members schools out of their leagues, despite what Desmond Howard tells everyone.

I don't either because of the reasons you stated. I was just saying it could be a risk if we didn't bring the eyeballs.

I’d feel much more confident (I don’t think we will be kicked out of B1G) if we were actually winning, going to bowls and competing for the West (B1G)......My concern would be other teams/conferences start making plays.  ACC gets ND to commit.  Goes after UM, PSU and OSU........Could NU be relegated back to a depleted (and re-strutted) Big XII with the likes of KU, Illinois, Purdue....

Interesting times indeed.