2021 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

The big thing I saw in the spring game was Manning's potential on the quick, wide screens. He's just so physical & long that he can practically just take one step and then stretch out for a 5 yard gain.

We really need that play. When that play is working it really starts setting up your run game. It specifically sets up the "QB Wrap" run play nicely.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, if Manning is a no go tomorrow, who takes his spot?

Have to admit, I'm pretty frustrated with him if the rumors are true that he's out. (that is unless it's a physical injury).  I'm very excited about Toure.  But, we need more targets than just him at WR that are elite. 

Pretty sure Martin and Toure are locks.  Sounds like Betts will see plenty of snaps.  I saw Liewer's name a lot in the last week.  Nixon will also be out there as well.  I get the feeling those five will probably get the most snaps.  Maybe Falk and Brown in spot duty.

I'm pretty sure Manning will still be out there.  Sounds like it's really a confidence thing as much as anything.  He does some really good things but if he makes one mistake it kind of gets in his head and he makes more.  So the thinking is they'll have some specific packages for him where he can hopefully get some things rolling and go from there.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure Martin and Toure are locks.  Sounds like Betts will see plenty of snaps.  I saw Liewer's name a lot in the last week.  Nixon will also be out there as well.  I get the feeling those five will probably get the most snaps.  Maybe Falk and Brown in spot duty.

I'm pretty sure Manning will still be out there.  Sounds like it's really a confidence thing as much as anything.  He does some really good things but if he makes one mistake it kind of gets in his head and he makes more.  So the thinking is they'll have some specific packages for him where he can hopefully get some things rolling and go from there.

Interesting.  So, get him some early easy catches to get his confidence up.

Those might be the 5 that see a lot of snaps.  It will be interesting to see if one of the others not named Toure will step up and be a real weapon.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Interesting.  So, get him some early easy catches to get his confidence up.

Those might be the 5 that see a lot of snaps.  It will be interesting to see if one of the others not named Toure will step up and be a real weapon.

Betts is a freak athlete.  Martin isn't far behind.  Nixon is pretty quick.  I really thing Toure/Martin/Betts/Nixon will be the most dynamic group we've had since I don't know when.  That's without getting anything from Manning.  Add him in there and we should get a lot of things done.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Betts is a freak athlete.  Martin isn't far behind.  Nixon is pretty quick.  I really thing Toure/Martin/Betts/Nixon will be the most dynamic group we've had since I don't know when.  That's without getting anything from Manning.  Add him in there and we should get a lot of things done.

It's funny to listen to people outside the program talk about our team: "Wandale is gone so they got no receivers or running backs." Like they can't do 2 minutes of research? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I know people will be frustrated with Manning if he's limited or makes mistakes, but I don't think people realize how deep routed this sort of thing can be mentally. There's more than one freak athlete who couldn't overcome mental hurdles to live up to their potential. I'm hoping they get him some catches and really build his confidence up for the season. 

• Plus1 2

If he doesn't play much, I think it hurts us real bad for our 11 personnel sets. Real bad. You want all three of those receivers to be able to quickly pull safeties out of position to set up your big plays.

If our tight ends are a strength as receivers and with getting open, it's less of an issue on the 12 personnel sets IMO.

I feel pretty good about Toure & Martin being out there on the 12 man sets. But we shall see.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

If he doesn't play much, I think it hurts us real bad for our 11 personnel sets. Real bad. You want all three of those receivers to be able to quickly pull safeties out of position to set up your big plays.

If our tight ends are a strength as receivers and with getting open, it's less of an issue on the 12 personnel sets IMO.

I feel pretty good about Toure & Martin being out there on the 12 man sets. But we shall see.

If Betts plays up to his potential, then Manning can be a nice-to-have backup. I still think Manning will be a factor though, just might take a few games.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Agree 100%

Don't forget about Austin Allen & Vokalek out there too!!! 

Or swing passes to Ervin

:koolaid2:

2 hours ago, GSG said:

It's funny to listen to people outside the program talk about our team: "Wandale is gone so they got no receivers or running backs." Like they can't do 2 minutes of research? 

I hear you but they might just be saying that about returning production and they'd be 100% right.  We've got potential, but that's all it is until the actually produce something.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

If Betts plays up to his potential, then Manning can be a nice-to-have backup. I still think Manning will be a factor though, just might take a few games.

Betts has amazing potential and I'm so glad he committed to us. He'll be awesome. I don't know how much to expect out of him in what you'd normally call a "true sophomore" year after an abbreviated COVID true freshman season, though.

But maybe he's right there with all of the other guys - that would be incredible.

9 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I hear you but they might just be saying that about returning production and they'd be 100% right.  We've got potential, but that's all it is until the actually produce something.

I could see that if they mentioned production but they're just going off name recognition. "No Wandale? They suck!" No mention of Allen and Vokolek. Omar Manning despite not showing much was the #1 JUCO player for a reason. Toure was an FCS AA. Oliver Martin was a 4-star guy. They just skip over that though. It's lazy.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1