2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

5 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

250 in a "busted his a$$ over the summer and got even more rocked up" way or 250 in a "put on bad weight" way?

He didn't really say but I didn't get the feeling that it was meant in a negative way.  Just that he's maybe the biggest RB we've ever had.

• Plus1 1

There are a handful of guys who can carry the weight and it doesn't affect them much. Usually not the case, there aren't many guys like Bettis, Lacy and Dane. Even with the handful that can- sometimes volume can be an issue. 

At the Spring game I really liked how Yant ran. However he was breathing pretty hard and I can see carry volume possibly being an issue. 

2 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

There are a handful of guys who can carry the weight and it doesn't affect them much. Usually not the case, there aren't many guys like Bettis, Lacy and Dane. Even with the handful that can- sometimes volume can be an issue. 

At the Spring game I really liked how Yant ran. However he was breathing pretty hard and I can see carry volume possibly being an issue. 

Yeah he's likely not an every down RB.

But if it's midway thru the 4th quarter in a tie ball game against Iowa and it's 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1 at Iowa's 40 yard line... Bring that hoss in. 

I see Yant and Stepp being the same type of body.  They are big and athletic enough to be an RB but aren't going to be an every down back like others have said.  Nice thing is that if you want to have your big back in and he gets gassed, the other can come in and you don't lose the size advantage.

I actually think both can be used in situations other than short yardage.

It will be interesting to see how they are with blocking.  If they understand who and where they are supposed to block, they have a good chance against a blitzing LB or rushing DE.

Stepp has little to no chance of making it through a season. Look at his history in High School and college. 

I would have thought one thing we've learned under Frost is players are who they are. If they are problem children or consistently hurt in their past- they are going to be that in their future. 

Stepp isn't the answer and Cam Jurgens in spite of his freakish athleticism and progress at the position- will most likely not make it through the entire season. Hopefully we have a competent backup- not a 5'10" Pelini type. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fru said:

Guy like that would probably come in handy on third and short or goal line situations. 

Lord knows we need help with red zone offense. I'll take a guy like that over a guy like Wan'dale as a goal line RB any day!

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, who needs those crappy backs Pelini recruited like Burkhead, Helu and Abdullah...

To be fair I believe he was referencing a 5'10 Pelini Center that we had as a backup for several years.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Stepp has little to no chance of making it through a season. Look at his history in High School and college. 

I would have thought one thing we've learned under Frost is players are who they are. If they are problem children or consistently hurt in their past- they are going to be that in their future. 

Stepp isn't the answer and Cam Jurgens in spite of his freakish athleticism and progress at the position- will most likely not make it through the entire season. Hopefully we have a competent backup- not a 5'10" Pelini type. 

People can and do change for the better.  Several success stories through the years of guys with a troubled youth who turned it around and became great players/men.

There are also a pile of players who overcame past injuries to go on and have successful careers through the NFL.

Why do you think Cam won't make it through the season?