2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

I just hate year 4 and still no proven back.  Yes there were misses.  Ie head cases, attitudes etc.....Injuries and Covid, but damn......Really......

i do find hope in Frost saying we need to get the starting lineup solved sooner than later so those guys can get in sync and I’m assuming actually have 1v1 prior to Mon before Illinois........I see this as a very positive step in being a better coach.  Realizing what was being done was not working.  Kudos to Frost.

I hope for no RB by committee and no “ show your hand situational RB” stuff.  IMHO, the starters getting named sooner has got to account for another 1-2 wins.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, hunter49 said:

we took a chance on a suspect player, looking for a RB, simple as that.  not likely to be a full time back.

I'll spare everyone the song, but we have had "Take A Chance On Me" by the group ABBA playing for :bigredn: a bit too long.  It's not a complaint.  With the OL rebuilt, we could be able to see Ervin and Yant as a 1-2 speed/power combo that you see in Breece Hall.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm adverse to comparing any of these backs to anyone, let alone an almost-Heisman Finalist. 

I don't disagree.  To clarify, I didn't intend to suggest a "comp" for Yant is Blount.  But, there's a discussion on whether a big back can thrive in this offense, Blount seems like a better example to use than Bettis or Henry for example. 

• Fire 3

The best thing HCSF said was "no committee" and there will be competition.  Personally I don't care who the top 2 backs will be (along with a 3rd).  I want to see them get into a groove.  So when you get deep into league play, you know exactly who you have to count on (and as a workhouse if need be).

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, admo said:

The best thing HCSF said was "no committee" and there will be competition.  Personally I don't care who the top 2 backs will be (along with a 3rd).  I want to see them get into a groove.  So when you get deep into league play, you know exactly who you have to count on (and as a workhouse if need be).

Agree. Gotta have that one guy who is just a cut above but 2-3 who you know can get it done. Like when Phillips or Green were the guys I don't think anyone batted an eye when Childs or Benning or whoever went in. They could still  play at the level necessary. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Couldn’t agree more. Stop worrying about keeping everybody happy. Time to find your best horse feed him 20-25 times a game.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
26 minutes ago, Farms said:

Couldn’t agree more. Stop worrying about keeping everybody happy. Time to find your best horse feed him 20-25 times a game.

any one RB getting 20-25 carries per week is not likely to happen, write it down. there will be plenty of injuries and bruises to go around.

face it, we don't have a proven RB who we can count on. and over a season, we will need 3-4 healthy backs to draw from, week in, week out.

it will be RB as available, even Mills couldn't stay healthy for the short campaign we ran in 2020. this is a tough league.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

did anyone else read the article that said Ahman Green would be up to taking a coaching position at Nebraska?  I'ld hire him.

Nothing against Ahman Green, as he was an awesome Husker and had great years in the NFL, I just struggle with hiring guys just because he was a great, former Husker.  Has Ahman done any coaching at any level since retiring in the NFL?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 4
15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing against Ahman Green, as he was an awesome Husker and had great years in the NFL, I just struggle with hiring guys just because he was a great, former Husker.  Has Ahman done any coaching at any level since retiring in the NFL?

I believe he has a training facility in Omaha - If that counts as coaching. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

did anyone else read the article that said Ahman Green would be up to taking a coaching position at Nebraska?  I'ld hire him.

Many great players do NOT make great coaches. The ability to teach isnt innate because one played. YES it gives you credibility, but my best coaches werent great players. AND Ive seen some very good DI players totally flop as coaches. 

• Plus1 1