2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

24 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Many great players do NOT make great coaches. The ability to teach isnt innate because one played. YES it gives you credibility, but my best coaches werent great players. AND Ive seen some very good DI players totally flop as coaches. 

Completely agree.  

I've always said that the best player to become a coach is the one that didn't have the best physical talents but worked really hard to get on the field.  

Great players many times don't understand someone who doesn't have the God given physical talents and what it takes to over come those to be good.  For instance, Michael Jordan would probably have been a horrible coach.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing against Ahman Green, as he was an awesome Husker and had great years in the NFL, I just struggle with hiring guys just because he was a great, former Husker.  Has Ahman done any coaching at any level since retiring in the NFL?

21 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Many great players do NOT make great coaches. The ability to teach isnt innate because one played. YES it gives you credibility, but my best coaches werent great players. AND Ive seen some very good DI players totally flop as coaches. 

I believe it said he had coached at the HS level.  I am aware that there are a lot of great players that are not good coaches and I believe that's because what made them great is not always coachable.  He's played for a few really good coaches and could impart some of his gained knowledge onto some of these running backs.  He could be like one the 20 people that aren't coaches at Alabama that are actually coaches.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I believe it said he had coached at the HS level.  I am aware that there are a lot of great players that are not good coaches and I believe that's because what made them great is not always coachable.  He's played for a few really good coaches and could impart some of his gained knowledge onto some of these running backs.  He could be like one the 20 people that aren't coaches at Alabama that are actually coaches.

Well, if EA Sports starts releasing a college football game soon, sounds like Ahman is the right man to coach our players.  https://www.espn.com/esports/story/_/id/28730743/former-nfl-star-ahman-green-becoming-esports-coach

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nothing against Ahman Green, as he was an awesome Husker and had great years in the NFL, I just struggle with hiring guys just because he was a great, former Husker.  Has Ahman done any coaching at any level since retiring in the NFL?

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Now if Tom Rathman decided he wanted a job at Nebraska, I'd be OK with that...

USC transfer running back Markese Stepp was in shoulder pads and went through every drill that Nebraska did during the open period. Of course, if Stepp is still on a "pitch count," as head coach Scott Frost said last month, that would most likely show up when the team goes into live periods. Stepp, though, looked good running and cutting in shoulder pads. 

NU has question marks at running back, but it's a physically impressive group led by Stepp, freshman Gabe Ervin Jr. and Jaquez Yant. 

Could be nothing, but in quarterback/running back pitch drills, Ervin worked quite a bit with junior starter Adrian Martinez. 

LJS

• Plus1 2