2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

They all seem to be strong, quick, and having good weight/size (Ervin Morrison/Stepp).  I am a lot more excited (anticipation) about this year's rbs, than I was the last 2 seasons.  Keeping in mind, not to put high expectations on them.  They don't have game day experience running for the Big Red just yet.  It is exciting though.

• Plus1 2

My feeling is that Stepp is a lock for the #2 spot because he's a different style of back than Morrison and Ervin. The real battle is for the #1 spot, with the loser consequently ending up at #3. Last week it sounded like it was Ervin, this week it sounds like it's Morrison.

I think the situation will be fluid for the first few weeks, whether they want 'RB by committee' or not. Oklahoma might end up being the real decider, I mean obviously if one guy looks good running against them, he'll probably be the starter for the rest of the season.

Of course, all of this depends on injuries, and we've got a whole room full of guys with an injury history...

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I have my doubts on one guy hitting 25 totes

Yeah, never happened with Ozigbo and only once for Mills in his very last game. He did have a 24 carry game. As far as I can tell the high carries in a game for a single player under Frost is.. Luke McCaffrey with 26 in 3+ quarters against Illinois. Yeesh. 

I don't mind a bell cow back at all, it's just realistically with football today that's probably 15-20 and not 20-26.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Maybe.  But, what this indicates to me is that they feel like they have one guy that can be an every down back. ALSO, that they firmly believe they can be productive at this position....unlike last year.  All that is GREAT!!!

Just took another sip of kool-aid.  

• Oh Yeah! 4
5 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I can see guys splitting carries the first 3 weeks.  So maybe he means by week 4 and onward?  Which would be nice.   

I want to see how the top 3 do with opportunity. Not sure how much you can tell by the season opener.....if looking for consistency that you can depend on.  

• Plus1 1