2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, never happened with Ozigbo and only once for Mills in his very last game. He did have a 24 carry game. As far as I can tell the high carries in a game for a single player under Frost is.. Luke McCaffrey with 26 in 3+ quarters against Illinois. Yeesh. 

I don't mind a bell cow back at all, it's just realistically with football today that's probably 15-20 and not 20-26.

I think it's still possible to have a 1 true bell cow although they need to be pretty talented.  Breece Hall from ISU and Mo Ibrahim both come to mind as dudes who averaged over 20 totes per game.  

I was able to find this as well in case you wanted to check out rushing attempts for 2020.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/stats/player/rushing/all-conf/leaders/?sortcol=att&sortdir=descending

To me the dream scenario is if you can find what UNC had last year with Michael Carter and Javonte Williams, man those guys were studs last year.  Very reminiscent of the We Backs from the early 90s 

I'd rather see a 60%/20%/20% split as it's inevitable that one of the Top 3 will get knicked up and you need guys with real game snaps under their belt to be able to step in with confidence that they can do the job.  Try to throw a guy intoa critical game who has been riding pine and you're far more likely to have them get anxious, get the 'yips' and fumble the rock.....

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Rhamir Johnson on his play against Oklahoma!  I thought he had some potential, but he seemed to run timed at times.  He proved me wrong, well done sir.  I still think that Gabe (sucks he got hurt), has the most upside, but excited to see how Rhamir progresses the rest of the season. Regarding the rest of the RB's, going to have to see, odd Stepp didn't get a snap. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, CAHusker said:

Just wanted to give a quick shout out to Rhamir Johnson on his play against Oklahoma!  I thought he had some potential, but he seemed to run timed at times.  He proved me wrong, well done sir.  I still think that Gabe (sucks he got hurt), has the most upside, but excited to see how Rhamir progresses the rest of the season. Regarding the rest of the RB's, going to have to see, odd Stepp didn't get a snap. 

I guess they are rotating the starts now instead of going with one player to carry most of the load. 

After the Spring game I expected Gabe to be the starter and he kinda has been. Its difficult to judge him based on how poorly our Oline has played so far but his numbers aren't great. And often times hes being brought down by the first guy he makes contact with. Yes he's a true freshman- he deserves a bit of grace. 

Stepp has show flashes and so has Morrison. Stepp seems to be leaning too far forward, once he makes contact or before he loses his balance and goes down. Like his size and effort, not sure he is a big time back. 

Johnson has surprised me. When I watched his hudl film several years ago I saw a really fast seam runner. He was small, fast and I didn't see a lot of lateral speed. He was at best a duckR type guy that I didn't think would play much. What little I saw of him in games- he went down with a 1 arm tackle. He definitely is our best blocking back right now, has good receiving skills- not sure he will be "the guy" when we get to BIG play. May be an important role player. The net is this room is most likely underperforming