2021 Fall Camp Notes - Running Backs

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Sean Callahan sure seems to think Gabe Ervin is the favorite going into camp.  I don't know if that makes me feel good about getting a good one or not very impressed about everyone else.

I still think Sevion Morrison is one to watch out for.  And I think Yant will have a role but not a large one.

So if I had to guess right now I'd say Ervin and Morrison get decent snaps with Yant sprinkled in here and there.

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

Running back is a position you can make hay as a freshman.  Ervin and Morrison are the ones built to be high carry backs and we need one of em to succeed. Stepp and Yant aren't going to be the answer more than change of pace or short yardage.  Yant is just too big for 3 downs.

Have I ever told you how smart you are?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Did Morrison get a single carry last year? Scott III of course got quite a few sprinkled in here & there, especially with Mills getting hurt.

He was out with COVID most of last year.  I believe

• Plus1 2
27 minutes ago, Undone said:

Did Morrison get a single carry last year? Scott III of course got quite a few sprinkled in here & there, especially with Mills getting hurt.

Morrison almost certainly would have earned playing time in 2020 after running backs coach Ryan Held said he had been moving up the depth chart, but he tested positive for COVID-19 just days later and wasn’t cleared to return until the very end of the season. By that time, it was essentially too late to get him back up to speed.

Speed, though, is part of what makes Morrison so intriguing. He’s run in the 10.7-second range in the 100 meters and has plenty of size at 6 feet and 210 pounds.

LJS

• Thanks 2
32 minutes ago, skers83 said:

Talking about the big backs, didn't Betis play at like 270-275 lbs. Not that Yant is a Bettis but some people can make it work.

5'11" - 250 - 255lbs during the playing days.  Not typical by any means but not all backs are built the same.  Some can really move at 250.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, runningblind said:

Have I ever told you how smart you are?

3 hours ago, skers83 said:

Another big back who had some success. Craig " Iron Head" Heyward.

we need a guy with speed to take it to the house, a threat every time he touches the ball.

Ervin is probably that guy. the rest are bangers.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, hunter49 said:

we need a guy with speed to take it to the house, a threat every time he touches the ball.

Ervin is probably that guy. the rest are bangers.

Yup...we have generally had speed that is limited to getting them outside cause they get swamped inside or inside guys who can't see holes to break it to the next level....I know Phillips was a unicorn, but dam, that dude was an ideal RB that anyone would want even today.

His 42,(I think) run against Florida still ranks as one of the best runs I have seen from a complete package perspective

9 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Stepp missed:

Missed Entire Junior Year of HS due to hamstring injury

Missed 3 games as Senior in HS due to injury

Missed 8 games due to injury his Freshman year of College

Missed 5 games due to injury in his Sophomore year of College

Missed 1 game due to injury his Junior year of College- but carried 1 and 5 times in back to back games. 

At NU he missed Spring practice due to an injury that required surgery 

So he missed over 30 games and  somehow Im off base by calling this player injury prone? Really? :dunno

It's impossible to extrapolate those 8 games his freshman year as being from injury, or being to preserve a redshirt. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hunter49 said:

we took a chance on a suspect player, looking for a RB, simple as that.  not likely to be a full time back.

And in the last 3 years we've rolled the dice with at least 3 very damaged RBs- Tompkins. Washington and Stepp.  With the thousands of RBs out there one would think we could find some guys who were not chronically injured- flawed. He's 0-3 with that strategy now, doesn't seem like it's working. 

Give me another Ervin or Scott type any day, develop him and see what he can do. Or a Toure type on the receiver side. 

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

And in the last 3 years we've rolled the dice with at least 3 very damaged RBs- Tompkins. Washington and Stepp.  With the thousands of RBs out there one would think we could find some guys who were not chronically injured- flawed. He's 0-3 with that strategy now, doesn't seem like it's working. 

Give me another Ervin or Scott type any day, develop him and see what he can do. Or a Toure type on the receiver side. 

Like Breece Hall?  

I think the big back comp for Yant given the system is LeGarrette Blount.

• Plus1 1