2021 Fall Camp Notes - Linebackers

16 hours ago, admo said:

I am excited about Luke Reimer and seeing Kolarevic (Inside LBs). 

Last year Reimer had 40 tackles, second on team in sacks, third in TFLs. 

He's gonna be ballin' this year even more.

Nebraska Football: Luke Reimer impressed in big way on Saturday

Reimer is good, but he’s on the small side, and has had issues with injuries in the past. My hope is that Henrich can become quasi-starter in a 3-man rotation at ILB, and Henrich can play more against more physical teams. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Reimer is good, but he’s on the small side, and has had issues with injuries in the past. My hope is that Henrich can become quasi-starter in a 3-man rotation at ILB, and Henrich can play more against more physical teams. 

Heinrich is a couple of inches taller, but I don’t think difference in weight is meaningful.  I’d gladly trade good football instincts for a couple of inches of height any day of the week.  That is not to say that Heinrich may not outperform Reimer in that area, just that I’d prefer the guy that recognizes the play faster to shoot the gap or beat the block, over the “taller” guy every time.  That also leaves out the toughness factor.  There were some pit bull ILB’s who were only 5’10” who were incredibly successful as they saw a 300lbs lineman and each time they believed they were tougher than them. Those are the guys you want on the field.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

Heinrich is a couple of inches taller, but I don’t think difference in weight is meaningful.  I’d gladly trade good football instincts for a couple of inches of height any day of the week.  That is not to say that Heinrich may not outperform Reimer in that area, just that I’d prefer the guy that recognizes the play faster to shoot the gap or beat the block, over the “taller” guy every time.  That also leaves out the toughness factor.  There were some pit bull ILB’s who were only 5’10” who were incredibly successful as they saw a 300lbs lineman and each time they believed they were tougher than them. Those are the guys you want on the field.

I'm not trying to say Reimer isn't good and his instincts aren't meaningful.  However, the guy has struggled to stay healthy in the past.  That history doesn't bode well when taking on the likes of Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota, especially when Reimer is on the smaller side of ILB size.