2021 Fall Camp Notes - Offensive Line

Spoke to one of our Olinemen/former player in May for about 20 minutes. He said that the coaching staff feels very good about depth. He said  they don't call them first team - second team- they call them 1 and 1A. He claims they plan on quite a bit of rotation this season with this group.8- 9 guys more or less is what he said. Along with the D-line I think this group deserves some optimism when it comes to expectations this fall. I wasn't impressed with his get off the bus look- but he was over 300. Hope the others look the part. 

"...has a chance to be the best of the Scott Frost era."

Pretty generic statement. Last year's did too (preseason), and so did 2019's (preseason). But I think you'd have to be hitting the Kool-Aid pretty hard to take that statement as being something we could extrapolate into big time hopium.

I will say though that the red team showed some pretty strong run blocking in the spring game, IMO. Just have to combine it with slightly better play at RB as well. 

56 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I still wish Nash went to the OL as he would for sure start at OG this season. He can still be a great DL for us, but I felt we could have used him more on offense. 

Not sure i see Nash pulling or climbing to second level defenders. I do see him being tough to move and penetrating double teams. Not to say he might not be good at OG, but think he could be a great interior DL for us. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, swmohusker said:

Not sure i see Nash pulling or climbing to second level defenders. I do see him being tough to move and penetrating double teams. Not to say he might not be good at OG, but think he could be a great interior DL for us. 

He's a way better version of Tanner Farmer...he will be a great DL for us because he is already the strongest on the team probably and has great leverage from being a wrestler. 

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

He's a way better version of Tanner Farmer...he will be a great DL for us because he is already the strongest on the team probably and has great leverage from being a wrestler. 

I agree.  Also don’t think farmer would start on our line now. Might slide into that last guard spot but probably not. 

On 8/1/2021 at 1:25 PM, admo said:

I am more excited about this offensive line than I have been in decades.  As they grow and work together, they should be pretty special the following year. 

The OL and DL are the biggest areas I want to see them move the needle this season. I feel like they have recruited well for both positions. Need to see that pay off for this team to have a chance. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

#NoImprovement

It is also eye-opening in light of data provided to the Journal Star by Adam McClintock of Matrix Analytical Solutions, which suggests the Huskers’ offensive line play has steadily improved from bad to slightly above average over the same period. The company measures a statistic called tackles for loss per rush attempt, which McClintock says correlates closely with rushing production. It measures, simply, the percentage of time that a rushing play is stuffed behind the line of scrimmage. NU was not good in 2017, Mike Riley’s final year (33.9 percentile among FBS schools) and has steadily improved since. The Husker offensive line finished 39.6 percentile in 2018, 45 percentile in 2019 and 60.4 percentile last year.

LJS

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1