2021 Fall Camp Notes - Offensive Line

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

#NoImprovement

LJS

I thought I read somewhere that Mills was averaging about a yard less than the blocking was giving him which is not good for a RB. Shows the yards are there if literally any running back can step up, and I expect Morrison and/or Ervin will (pun intended).

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, Mavric said:

#NoImprovement

LJS

https://www.google.com/amp/s/journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/a-deep-dive-look-at-the-huskers-qb-reliance-in-the-run-game-and-what/article_75c7facb-1c87-523d-bc7d-0f5d2aec139d.amp.html

Great article, @Mavric! To go from below the 35th to above the 60th percentile rank in a highly contested college sport in 4 years is a great indication of improvement. If that continues a similar trend, we should see a fairly dominate offensive line this year (70th-75th)  and top 25 offensive line in the country next year. 80th-85th percentile rank. Granted, it gets harder to improve in rank, and remain that high performing once you get to that 80th percentile. This article actually gives me some hope!

• Oh Yeah! 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

#NoImprovement

LJS

At 1st I thought this was like saying the less a batter strikes out, the better their batting averages tend to be.  But, if "production" is defined as gross production, I can see the deeper logic, broader correlation between negative plays & "production".  More consistent running game, staying on schedule, more opportunities to run the ball, ect...

For me, the running game always comes down to the 2nd level.  If lineman are getting there or LB's are staying free & making tackles, ect...  But, you certainly have to crawl before you walk, ie cracking the LOS. 

O-line play always starts w/the center & Jurgens should probably be a 1st year starter this year.  Hopefully, all the growing pains he went through being forced into action as an undersized, inexperienced lineman pay big dividends this season.  

Pretty much what it's looked like to me: they've progressed from awful to average, which is nothing to sneeze at. But people tend to fixate on a few things like Cam's snaps (which also weren't nearly as bad last year, overall)...

• Plus1 2

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

#NoImprovement

LJS

I think this pretty much confirms what those of us who pay attention have been saying. We're much better than we were even 3 years ago, but still room for improvement.

I like how we looked physically from a body type last year, and even more so this year. Guys are leaner and more athletic looking; something closer to a line at Chip Kelly's Oregon, but taller and therefore heavier.

*Edit*

I just did a quick scan of the 2010 Ducks roster and our 2021 roster. I didn't actually do the math, but a quick guess looks like we are about 2" taller and 30lbs heavier on average compared to that team. We got some big boys!

• Plus1 6

With Benhart's slower feet (in fairness he was very young last year and a full offseason of S&C likely generated some improvement), I was wondering if Banks had any hope to unseat him at the RT position?  Any thoughts on the guys who are 2's on depth chart and how close they are to making a move to at least be 1b's?

9 minutes ago, Canadian Fan said:

With Benhart's slower feet (in fairness he was very young last year and a full offseason of S&C likely generated some improvement), I was wondering if Banks had any hope to unseat him at the RT position?  Any thoughts on the guys who are 2's on depth chart and how close they are to making a move to at least be 1b's?

I think his longer legs may be what makes it seem like he's got "slow feet?" Have a feeling that as he continues to develop and learn to just use his length he'll probably be fine there.

His length is such a huge advantage in designed passing situations against edge rushers.

On 8/10/2021 at 10:21 PM, floridacorn said:

At 1st I thought this was like saying the less a batter strikes out, the better their batting averages tend to be.  But, if "production" is defined as gross production, I can see the deeper logic, broader correlation between negative plays & "production".  More consistent running game, staying on schedule, more opportunities to run the ball, ect...

For me, the running game always comes down to the 2nd level.  If lineman are getting there or LB's are staying free & making tackles, ect...  But, you certainly have to crawl before you walk, ie cracking the LOS. 

O-line play always starts w/the center & Jurgens should probably be a 1st year starter this year.  Hopefully, all the growing pains he went through being forced into action as an undersized, inexperienced lineman pay big dividends this season.  

Before we get ahead of ourselves here- we need to stop the penetration into the backfield first. 

If you look at the 2018 film you will see Ozigbo making some insanely great runs just to get back to the LOS or get a 2 yard gain. He was CONSISTENTLY having to make guys miss in the backfield just to get back to the original LOS>

You will also see our QB under duress too early and too often. Lets get movement on those initial zone double teams and be blocking correctly on twists and stunts before we get all excited about second level blocks. 

I think our Oline has the potential to be 5th-6th best in the league- better quality depth than at any time in recent memory. But great now they are not. 

15 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Corcoran has hamstring issues. 

That is not promising news. For an o-lineman that can be one that ruins a season- nagging, recurring and debilitating. 

With hamstrings the best medicine is rest and massaging a muscle. Often the case for initial hamstring is not stretching properly and giving the muscle time to get prepared for the workload it's about to receive. 

Honestly I would say take 2 weeks off to make sure that the muscle heals properly and so it doesn't reoccur Midway through the season

23 hours ago, Mavric said:

Banks says he's mostly been working at LT with Corcoran limited by injury and Banks says he's not sure if Corcoran will be available for Illinois.

Austin said he would be ready, but they had to really push for an answer and he did not sound confident. But I do I feel better about the reserve lineman this year than any past year I can remember. LT is always a concern, but I like Banks and it's good to have the luxury of a swing tackle who could be starting at another position.