2021 Fall Camp Notes - Offensive Line

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Thanks, I think he is ready too.  The entire line is ready to hit some people (blocking).  I am so pumped!

That does make me think of something that could be an odd footnote:

When Banks, Piper and Jurgens are out there, 60% of our offensive line would originally have been recruited at a different position.

Edited by Mavric
Originally didn't have Piper
  • Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

And I can't recall a more physically fit line as these dudes.  Big and strong, young, athletic, and been together for a few years or so.  The confidence is there too. 

And for the first time ever (going back to callahan days), there wasn't any media puff piece on how this is the strength of the team.  Which I am so glad NOT to hear. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That does make me think of something that could be an odd footnote:

When Banks and Jurgens are out there, 40% of our offensive line would originally have been recruited at a different position.

Yupp.  From what I've heard, they got athleticism (some hoops, golf, wrestling).  These guys are not just strong...they are built like a big ten lineman. 

Seems like all the guys in the past were mostly just big eaters at the training table guys.  I am pumped to see this game!

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 8/27/2021 at 10:38 AM, Mavric said:

Word is Corcoran has been back practicing for over a week but was still getting back up to speed.

Not sure if he'll start or how quick he'd get pulled if he struggles.

On the radio they said it looks like he’s starting. I hope it’s because he really is back and not that he’s going to play hurt. 

• Plus1 2

@BigRedBuster: I tried to make the case for how bad our offensive line did in the pass blocking area in the Martinez thread but was told by others that I was wrong. If that guy's analysis is accurate, it underscores the point.

Add to the fact that once we were down by two scores or more we were forced to throw the ball more to come back quicker.

Our line didn't play well on Saturday. And that is also backed up in part by the bad YPC stats of our backs. Makes me wonder if Corcoran was playing injured as well.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Toe said:

@BigRedBuster It felt like we got a lot of pressure at the start (and knocked their QB out in the process), but then it kinda disappeared as the game went on.

They stopped dropping back, they had the lead and were able to grind it out and then do some play action, rollouts, and quick passes. If we got the lead and made it difficult for them to just play that style we could've had a lot more. If the INT holds up and we score (relatively big if, but totally possible), it's 16-2 and we get to pin our ears back more.

OL was rough - seems like Piper had a pretty bad day, and Banks did not inspire confidence when he rotated in for Corcoran. Backs missed a lot of pickups too. As a side note, anyone notice OSUs center snap it into his own butt twice last night? Cam had one bad snap which was very disappointing. But it does happen to others.

• Plus1 5

@Undone  I agree.  Our O line didn't have a good game.

@Toe I just went back and rewatched just our defense.  His analysis seems correct.  I counted 6 QB pressures and he was at 5.  One thing I did notice was that after we had so much pressure on the QB, they switched to way more run (because they were ahead) an the vast majority of their passes were quick short passes which doesn't give our D time to get to them.