Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance

Found this....might be of interest.

Andy Staples has an article about the proposed alliance and it's relation to the 4 million club. It's behind a paywall, so I'll post some highlights. 

From 2015-2019 there were 1,593 rated telecasts

198 had 4 million viewers or more.

55 SEC only, 49 Big Ten only, 13 ACC only, 58 interconference/independent games

Only 13 schools had more than 10, Michigan is 3rd with 26, behind Bama (35) OSU (31)

6 SEC schools, 4 Big Ten schools(UM, OSU, PSU, MSU), Clemson, ND, Oklahoma. NOT Texas. only 3 of th5 Red River Shootouts during that span cracked the 4M mark.

The alliance helps create more of those games for the inventory.  Also of note, apparently NBC & CBS are interested in the Big Ten, when renegotiation takes place.  It's likely they'll have to bid if for no other reason than to have something to compete with ESPN.   An alliance would intend to put more games ON CAMPUS while placing a premium on big matchups.  

It's a really good article..go check it out. 

#1 rated game during that time? 2016 UM vs Ohio

#2 LSU Bama 2019

#4 2018 UM vs OSU

#6 2019 UM vs OSU

#12 2015 UM vs OSU

#14 2017 UM vs OSU

Every game in the top 15 features Alabama or OSU except 1...Texas vs ND 2016

https://theathletic.com/2772414/2021/08/16/staples-why-would-the-big-ten-form-an-alliance-with-the-acc-and-pac-12-its-all-about-tvs-four-million-club/?source=dailyemail&campaign=601983

• Plus1 2

44 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

I'd actually like to see the Big 12 live (for at least 4 more years) to make Texas and OU either have to stay for 4 years or pay a huge buyout. 

I would like to see the alliance kick in before Texas and OU are released. Whatever inflicts the most pain on the SEC and their two new members.

• Plus1 3

I think any alliance is mostly just a leveraging play by the other 3 leagues as a non active response to the SEC acquiring OU and UT.  Not much will come from it other than maybe moving the gears for expanding the playoff.

What kind of threat is this?  "We won't schedule you SEC teams for out of conference games!".  That hurts only themselves.

41 minutes ago, Redux said:

I think any alliance is mostly just a leveraging play by the other 3 leagues as a non active response to the SEC acquiring OU and UT.  Not much will come from it other than maybe moving the gears for expanding the playoff.

What kind of threat is this?  "We won't schedule you SEC teams for out of conference games!".  That hurts only themselves.

The leverage is the TV contract money. If SEC isn't able to schedule big name out of conference opponents (from the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac 12) that brings down the value of the SEC TV deal in negotiating. 

I'm sure there will be exceptions for existing rivalries (Florida v FSU and Clemson v S. Car), but its a good strategic move to combat the increased value the SEC will now have with addition of Texas and OU in the SEC TV package. 

And combining the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best conference of remaining power 4 is a smart move.  A desperate move, but smart.  And once combined, they may essentially equal thr actual value and interest to the common fan.  By sheer numbers of universities they would have the upper hand, but quantity vs perceived quality is still a toss up.  The SEC is perceived as the best and the most valuable because it is.  If they want to steal a school or 4, they can and will.  Then the 3 conference alliance is nullified and we basically have the SEC vs Other 3 and it's an even match if not tipped back to the SEC.

How much value does adding OU and Texas really add?  Texas, for the foreseeable future, will be another Arkansas level school.  OU basically an A&M.  They aren't winning the west division, let alone the SEC.  I think the value of OU and Texas is greatly diminished after 2-3 years of taking their lumps in the SEC- making it less attractive to other schools.  I guess time will tell but I'm not concerned about the SEC stealing more teams.

39 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

How much value does adding OU and Texas really add?  Texas, for the foreseeable future, will be another Arkansas level school.  OU basically an A&M.  They aren't winning the west division, let alone the SEC.  I think the value of OU and Texas is greatly diminished after 2-3 years of taking their lumps in the SEC- making it less attractive to other schools.  I guess time will tell but I'm not concerned about the SEC stealing more teams.

I think you've made some big generalizations here. OU has been a top-five program since Lincoln Riley took over so that's a huge boon. Texas graded out as a top 25ish team for most of the last decade (obviously they're underperforming relative to where they should but they haven't really been actually bad at football like some are insinuating) so they're much ahead of Arkansas' level. And more than that, this is about the programs' overall prestige for negotiating a new TV deal, which both of these schools have a high value of.

55 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

You joking right?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance