Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

How much value does adding OU and Texas really add?  Texas, for the foreseeable future, will be another Arkansas level school.  OU basically an A&M.  They aren't winning the west division, let alone the SEC.  I think the value of OU and Texas is greatly diminished after 2-3 years of taking their lumps in the SEC- making it less attractive to other schools.  I guess time will tell but I'm not concerned about the SEC stealing more teams.

lol, whatttttt...... OU prolly should be ranked #1 this year heading into week 1 when you consider what they're bringing back.  Bama has the name and track record of reloading for sure but I'd prolly put my money on OU if they faced bama to open up the year.

OU definitely brings a bit more to the table than "basically being an A&M" lol 

• Plus1 4

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

How much value does adding OU and Texas really add?  Texas, for the foreseeable future, will be another Arkansas level school.  OU basically an A&M.  They aren't winning the west division, let alone the SEC.  I think the value of OU and Texas is greatly diminished after 2-3 years of taking their lumps in the SEC- making it less attractive to other schools.  I guess time will tell but I'm not concerned about the SEC stealing more teams.

Let me answer your first question- a Lot of value.

Texas had enough value to make their own network. 

Oklahoma has had a tremendous level of success.

You could argue they will be in the top tier in the SEC in terms of moving the needle. 

I should have clarified guys.  I realize they have quite a bit of value right now- especially OU.  However, does that OU team keep it's glamor with 2-4 conference losses year after year?  Maybe they have their year occasionally but I see them taking the role of Michigan in the B1G and consistently looking up at Alabama.  And Texas will lose a lot of their value if they really end up like their projections- a 50/50 conference team in the SEC West.  I might be wrong but the track record of teams changing conferences in recent years shows the difficulty that comes with adjusted style of play... and in their case significantly tougher opponents.  Yes, this will help the SEC secure a great media rights deal but I don't think it is the monumental swing of power people are making it out to be.    

You aren't giving OU or Texas enough credit.  OU has been one of the top recruiting schools for the last 3-4 years and it will only get better with joining the SEC.  They are probably have one of the top 5 fastest rosters in the nation and will hold there own. 

Texas has Sark as their new coach.  He spent the last 4-5 years on Saban's team and probably picked up a few things.  It won't take long for them to get good again. 

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I should have clarified guys.  I realize they have quite a bit of value right now- especially OU.  However, does that OU team keep it's glamor with 2-4 conference losses year after year?  Maybe they have their year occasionally but I see them taking the role of Michigan in the B1G and consistently looking up at Alabama.  And Texas will lose a lot of their value if they really end up like their projections- a 50/50 conference team in the SEC West.  I might be wrong but the track record of teams changing conferences in recent years shows the difficulty that comes with adjusted style of play... and in their case significantly tougher opponents.  Yes, this will help the SEC secure a great media rights deal but I don't think it is the monumental swing of power people are making it out to be.    

Yeah, I don't think its going to be that monumental of a difference for the top teams like Bama, Oklahoma, the Georgias/LSU/Auburn that seem to strike lightning in a bottle and go undefeated/1 loss..

I do think tho we'll see a massive swing in the 10-2 and 9-3 SEC squads, the floridas of recent years, one of the georgia/lsu/auburn i listed above that might have had an early loss or 2 but playing hot at the end of the year.  Feel like the playoff committee is going to give those teams the benefit of the doubt for last playoff/new playoff format seeding over a Big10/ACC/Pac team with a similar profile

Edited by gossamorharpy
my grammar sucks

12 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

You aren't giving OU or Texas enough credit.  OU has been one of the top recruiting schools for the last 3-4 years and it will only get better with joining the SEC.  They are probably have one of the top 5 fastest rosters in the nation and will hold there own. 

Texas has Sark as their new coach.  He spent the last 4-5 years on Saban's team and probably picked up a few things.  It won't take long for them to get good again. 

Maybe not with OU, but Texas sure as hell doesn't deserve any credit. 

Texas since 2010 has gone 78-60 - average record of 7-5.  That's playing against Baylor, Kansas, TCU, Texas Tech, etc...  Sark will need to really get things rolling to even hold serve in the SEC West.

Compare the effect the SEC had on Missouri.  Missouri went 48-19 the 5 years leading up to the move to the SEC.  Their first 5 years in the SEC, they went 37-27 and that is in the easier East division.   

Maybe Texas will prove me wrong and have results similar to A&M but I doubt it.  OU will still win a lot of games but I have a really hard time seeing them consistently winning the division like they do in the little 12.   

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Redux said:

And combining the 2nd, 3rd and 4th best conference of remaining power 4 is a smart move.  A desperate move, but smart.  And once combined, they may essentially equal thr actual value and interest to the common fan.  By sheer numbers of universities they would have the upper hand, but quantity vs perceived quality is still a toss up.  The SEC is perceived as the best and the most valuable because it is.  If they want to steal a school or 4, they can and will.  Then the 3 conference alliance is nullified and we basically have the SEC vs Other 3 and it's an even match if not tipped back to the SEC.

I don't think you will want to subsidize Wake Forest simply for more market power. 

3 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Probably the same way it worked out for Ga Tech, Arkansas, Penn State, Miami, Colorado, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Pittsburgh, and Maryland.  Nationally they are all known as role players.  When they go on a good run, ESPN runs puff pieces about them.  When things slip into mediocrity it's as though they don't exist.  

Perhaps conferences will get so big that they are actually leagues, and going 10-2 is in conference is like finishing 3rd in your NFL conference with good playoff chances.  Perhaps not. 

For any agreement or merger to work it will have to include freezing the SEC out of bowl games and championships. The SEC is taking the 2 Big 12 teams to try to solidify them getting as many as 4teams into the playoffs while the other 50 FBS schools will compete for the other 4.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Kayak said:

For any agreement or merger to work it will have to include freezing the SEC out of bowl games and championships. The SEC is taking the 2 Big 12 teams to try to solidify them getting as many as 4teams into the playoffs while the other 50 FBS schools will compete for the other 4.

That’s where the whole organization of the playoffs stinks. 

if there were some hard and fast rules about the conference champions and maybe a wild card gets in the playoffs, the SEC couldn’t do that. 

OU and Texas wouldn’t jump in because they would have a better chance at the playoffs being in the Big 12. 

The PAC 12 would have more success because a team would always be in the playoffs. 

The entire country would be interested in the playoffs because a team from there would be in it. 

The entire management of college football sucks as far as spreading out the success and excitement of the sport 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't remember which of these threads it was in but someone on Twitter looked at the actual numbers and adding OU and Texas barely puts the SEC over the B1G in tv revenue. I think people are overestimating the SEC or underestimating the B1G. It would not take too much of a revenue bump from a merger to put us back at #1. UT got a network deal because ESPN f#&%ed up plain and simple. They are hemorrhaging money on that deal big time. There is a reason they are trying everything they can to dump it. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That’s where the whole organization of the playoffs stinks. 

if there were some hard and fast rules about the conference champions and maybe a wild card gets in the playoffs, the SEC couldn’t do that. 

OU and Texas wouldn’t jump in because they would have a better chance at the playoffs being in the Big 12. 

The PAC 12 would have more success because a team would always be in the playoffs. 

The entire country would be interested in the playoffs because a team from there would be in it. 

The entire management of college football sucks as far as spreading out the success and excitement of the sport 

Well before the OU/UGA lawsuit against the NCAA, college football was remarkably spread out as a sport. Fans of Rice and Pacific University could watch and know their team would play once against a powerful blue blood.  TV contracts led to consolidation squeezing out more schools and leaving fewer king of the hill programs. 

3 hours ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I can't remember which of these threads it was in but someone on Twitter looked at the actual numbers and adding OU and Texas barely puts the SEC over the B1G in tv revenue. I think people are overestimating the SEC or underestimating the B1G. It would not take too much of a revenue bump from a merger to put us back at #1. UT got a network deal because ESPN f#&%ed up plain and simple. They are hemorrhaging money on that deal big time. There is a reason they are trying everything they can to dump it. 

this is so accurate.

espn/Disney are doing all kinds of stuff (owe big 12 money-kill big 12) and fox is behind the “merger” talks. But the big ten hangs with the sec after the addition of ut/ou. 

• Plus1 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance