Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance

13 hours ago, internetman said:

This merger would severely reduce the big10 payouts.

this is never going to happen. People in the Midwest/west don’t live their lives for college football like the south. 

It would be the opposite actually.  The B1G would essentially gain the whole media market on the left coast that would pay huge amounts of money.  This merger is based off of money and nothing else. 

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

It would be the opposite actually.  The B1G would essentially gain the whole media market on the left coast that would pay huge amounts of money.  This merger is based off of money and nothing else. 

This is 2010 realignment thinking. The Media rights are no longer based on potential tv viewership. There is a reason why the pac-12 tv contract lags behind the rest of the country. Yes there are lots of people out there but no one cares about college football. It’s NFL and other stuff to do. 

19 hours ago, admo said:

My biggest issue with a B1G PAC merger is for selfish reasons.  I don't want to wait all day for a 9PM kickoff to see the Huskers.  However, playing at USC, Stanford, UCLA would make it worth it, I suppose.  But still, it would be near midnight late in the 4th quarter.

That's one hell of a lot better than constant 11:00am games.

• Thanks 1
15 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

The way it could, per my limited understanding, is by giving the conference(s) a stronger place to negotiate from with their next media deal.

All us B1G teams don't generate an average of $55m, that's what we receive due to a really well bargained media rights deal with Fox/ESPN. 

Enjoyed your thoughts. 

In the end, it's about adding the right program with the right following that generates revenue.  I get that.  

I'm more interesting in considering the geography and then associations that connect like-minded universities ... but I realize those days are past. 

It all really is starting to look like what America did with industry ... we didn't want to make anything or have blue-collar opportunity.  When the focus is just money and the heart/character are taken out ... my experience and understanding of history is the "rich get richer" and the "poor get poorer".

I keep thinking about this possible merger and everyone's comments about "culture" and  geography.

It's not like we are leaving the Big Ten and joining the Pac 12.  If that were the case, I would be there with you.  We would still play pretty much the same teams we have been playing.  We would probably play a game or two against Pac 12 teams per year.

It's not like Rutgers is going to be flying to play UCLA, Washington and ASU every year.

I already hate conference reshuffling and the season hasn’t even started. Rumors coming out that Clemson/FSU want to head to the SEC. 

I sure as hell don’t wanna play Pac-12 teams either. The business side has destroyed what college ball used to be about. Without the rivalries/tradition you just have a crap version of the NFL. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Loebarth said:

I don't expect a merge. Just seems like a waste of energy. I think the SEC isn't done and in the end I think there's going to be some law suits. There's coming a shift in the NCAA structure and the dust is far from settled.

Plus I fully expect State and Federal legislative bodies to get involved at some point. 

No one can leave the ACC . Anyone who thinks so- hasn't been following. 

" the league’s Grant of Rights agreement that all but keeps schools locked into the conference.

For those who are unfamiliar, a Grant of Rights agreement is written permission from an institution- like Clemson- to relinquish control of television rights for the duration of the deal. The ACC’s deal is set to expire in 2036. If you leave the ACC, you forfeit the television earnings. So, when you total what Clemson might make off its ACC television payout, you’re talking hundreds of millions of dollars."

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, GSG said:

IF there is any truth to the above, then Kevin, ASleepatthewheel, Warren better wake up and go after the top 6 Pac 12 schools.

If the Big 10 doesn't act - it throws a life line to the Big 12 and it removes all possibility of gaining even footage with the SEC. 

Warren should be talking to USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington, & Colorado.    Wrap up the west coast viewership. 

Let the Big 12 merge wt AZ, ASU, Cal, Org State, Utah, WSU

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

IF there is any truth to the above, then Kevin, ASleepatthewheel, Warren better wake up and go after the top 6 Pac 12 schools.

If the Big 10 doesn't act - it throws a life line to the Big 12 and it removes all possibility of gaining even footage with the SEC. 

How dare you- Kevin Warren has done a stellar job- the best BIG Commissioner ever. St Kevin (blessed be his name) can't be criticized.  He made it his number one priority to make sure all the athletes were registered to vote. then he put together a diversity council with players from each school. This priority was accomplished with flying colors. Everything else really was just filler- doesn't really count for much. He deserves a big raise and a lengthy extension. We are so fortunate to have him leading the conference during these very challenging times. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • Mavric changed the title to Big 10/PAC-12/ACC Alliance