2021 Fall Camp Notes - Defensive Backs

46 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Looks like PI to me.  He wrapped him with his right arm.  Not sure if would have been flagged though.   Otherwise would have been a good play. There’s no way to tell from this short clip that this was a well thrown deep ball.   I appreciate Chaz in SoCal’s optimism, nonetheless.  

23 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Looks like PI to me.  He wrapped him with his right arm.  Not sure if would have been flagged though.   Otherwise would have been a good play. There’s no way to tell from this short clip that this was a well thrown deep ball.   I appreciate Chaz in SoCal’s optimism, nonetheless.  

Well, it was definitely a longer ball than anything we attempted in a game last year….and it was catchable in front of the receiver. I’ll go with well thrown deep ball. But I agree, very well might’ve been flagged.

• Plus1 2

14 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

That needs to be a catch.  That's what the coaches have said was going to be an emphasis in camp for the wr/te...contested catches.  That was definitely a catchable ball.  Good coverage though.  No flags, play on.

I would agree, although we are only seeing the very end.  I don't know if he had to make an adjustment at the last second but it looks like he could have high pointed it a little better.  The DB did have his arm around his waste so I will give a slight pass because that is probably drawing a PI.  

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, it was definitely a longer ball than anything we attempted in a game last year….and it was catchable in front of the receiver. I’ll go with well thrown deep ball. But I agree, very well might’ve been flagged.

They seem to be fine with a hand around them as long as they don't turn them.  Or maybe that's more in the NFL. 

Probably plenty of contact but I'm not sure if it would have gotten flagged or not.

10 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

This short, close up clips really don't show us much....but, fans are hungry for info, so this is what we have to go on.

33 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

That needs to be a catch.  That's what the coaches have said was going to be an emphasis in camp for the wr/te...contested catches.  That was definitely a catchable ball.  Good coverage though.  No flags, play on.

I don't disagree, in the season we need that to be a catch. I'm going to give credit to Johnson too though because he punches the ball right through Omar's hands which would be hard to hang on to. If he didn't get a PI call it'd be a pretty impressive defensive play. 

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, it seems like Johnson is a strong candidate for the other CB position.

I would think he would at minimum be in the running.  He was the #1 overall safety in the 2018 recruiting class and the #14 overall rivals player in the 2018 class.  I'm honestly surprised there hasn't been more hype regarding him but there had to be some reason he didn't win the starting gig at Ohio State.  Hopefully he gets that figured out and is a stud for us.  

• Plus1 1