Managing the QB Room

21 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

I believe Vedral is an example that highlights both developmental and inability to manage a roster at the QB position. Can hash out the details, but he did spend 3 seasons with the staff before becoming the Day 1 starter at a different P5 program.

At Rutgers.....that won 3 games last year and lost to Nebraska.

I fail to see how Vedral is an example of inability to manage a roster.  He had his chance to play and he was clearly not the answer here.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

At Rutgers.....that won 3 games last year and lost to Nebraska.

I fail to see how Vedral is an example of inability to manage a roster.  He had his chance to play and he was clearly not the answer here.

It’s inability to create/maintain depth at QB position

Who was going to play vs Rutgers when LM sat out and all AM did was turn the ball over the first half? Anyone but Rutgers and that was another loss.

Vedral was good enough to give a scholarship to, but not enough to play at NU - clearly inability to manage the QB room. 

5 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Who was going to play vs Rutgers when LM sat out and all AM did was turn the ball over the first half? Anyone but Rutgers and that was another loss.

Vedral was good enough to give a scholarship to, but not enough to play at NU - clearly inability to manage the QB room. 

Vedral was a good backup the staff brought in who was going to be third-string and transferred for a starting opportunity. Can you explain what you think our coaches did wrong there? Are you suggesting they be like: "No, Noah, we need you to turn down this chance to start to stay here in case our first two QBs get hurt."

QBs transfer when they don't get the chance to play. That's college football in 2021 for better or worse.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
Just now, J-MAGIC said:

Vedral was a good backup the staff brought in who was going to be third-string and transferred for a starting opportunity. Can you explain what you think our coaches did wrong there? Are you suggesting they be like: "No, Noah, we need you to turn down this chance to start to stay here in case our first two QBs get hurt."

Your “second” QB is on his 3rd school in 6 months. We’ve lost out on potential depth with Gebbia, Vedral, Burrows. The love affair over AM has hurt Frost as it has ran off competition. 

My initial point highlighted that I believe Vedral did show sign of development, as he was good enough to start for another P5 program - apparently that’s not good enough because it’s Rutgers (like we’re any better?) 

The point also highlights our failures of our QB room and cultivating competition. We have a true senior who everyone questions when he drops back to pass and then a RS sophomore with zero experience. 

So YES. Yes I would recruit Vedral to stay OR find a grad transfer because Frosts duty is to the team and program, not the individual. 

10 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Not my concern about other schools, why does that matter to NU?

Because you can make the same claim about nearly every school in the nation.  Almost no one can say they have definitely established QB depth unless their starting QB gets hurt and the backup has an extended time to play and show what they can do.  And all that does is usually lead to one of them leaving.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Because you can make the same claim about nearly every school in the nation.  Almost no one can say they have definitely established QB depth unless their starting QB gets hurt and the backup has an extended time to play and show what they can do.  And all that does is usually lead to one of them leaving.

I don’t care about other programs. I can guarantee other schools who want to compete amongst don’t have this issue you are trying to pick at. You’re deviating from the topic and creating a red herring 

45 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I don’t agree. He was brought in as depth and someone in the room that knows the system and could help the others learn. He did that. 

There was nothing here when he got here other than Gebbia and he worked hard to keep him….but he bolted right before the season. 

Pretty hard to build quality depth in a year or two.