Managing the QB Room

Vedral leaving wound up being pretty unfortunate for where we're at this season. Noah surely left because McCaffrey was rising up to solidify that #2 spot...then McCaffrey quits the team.

And I'd take Vedral's skills 10 times out of 10 over McCaffrey's. Wish Vedral was still here because he'd almost certainly be QB2 in case Adrian suffers injury again this year.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

IMO, then that’s a wasted scholarship, thus mismanaged roster. 

Was Vedral a wasted scholarship when he played snaps as (including a start) as a backup QB in 2019?  After that, he left NU to become a starter at another school.  

Just now, Undone said:

Vedral leaving wound up being pretty unfortunate for where we're at this season. Noah surely left because McCaffrey was rising up to solidify that #2 spot...then McCaffrey quits the team.

And I'd take Vedral's skills 10 times out of 10 over McCaffrey's. Wish Vedral was still here because he'd almost certainly be QB2 in case Adrian suffers injury again this year.

I would love to have Vedral, but Vedral wanted a place to start, and he found that at Rutgers.  I fail to see how NU mismanaged the Vedral situation.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would love to have Vedral, but Vedral wanted a place to start, and he found that at Rutgers.  I fail to see how NU mismanaged the Vedral situation.

Yeah, yeah...just a separate train of thought by me in that post. Basically just lamenting that Vedral left.

I also fail to see how NU mismanaged his situation. And I don't have any inside information and I wasn't at practices so I have no idea how the competition really worked out between him & Luke; all we can really do is speculate on that.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I don’t care about other programs. I can guarantee other schools who want to compete amongst don’t have this issue you are trying to pick at. You’re deviating from the topic and creating a red herring 

How exactly would you guarantee this?

What would have to be happening for you to be convinced that we do have adequate QB depth?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Was Vedral a wasted scholarship when he played snaps as (including a start) as a backup QB in 2019?  After that, he left NU to become a starter at another school.  

You’re cherry picking a point that misapplies the comment back to BigRedBuster which was bringing in a scholarship player to be a “teacher” to others.

I’m opining that I wish we still had Vedral, that his departure is not good management of the qb room which is severely lacking depth. That he had developed into a QB who could backup when AM got hurt, or stunk it up last year. I get the rise of LM because he had the high ceiling, but in the end, it didn’t work out and Nebraska is stuck with no zero depth behind AM and just question marks whether a backup is good enough. I’d take Vedral > Smothers > Haarberg > CTB (lol). 

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I hear they're moving AM to receiver this year because some of us on the board are unhappy with his development.  I hope you're happy.

I've seen him catch a lot of errant, off-target snaps; he might have the best hands on the team. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

I’m opining that I wish we still had Vedral, that his departure is not good management of the qb room which is severely lacking depth. That he had developed into a QB who could backup when AM got hurt, or stunk it up last year. I get the rise of LM because he had the high ceiling, but in the end, it didn’t work out and Nebraska is stuck with no zero depth behind AM and just question marks whether a backup is good enough. I’d take Vedral > Smothers > Haarberg > CTB (lol). 

So, any time a QB doesn’t like his spot on the depth chart, it’s the coaches fault because of mismanaging the room?

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
6 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

You’re cherry picking a point that misapplies the comment back to BigRedBuster which was bringing in a scholarship player to be a “teacher” to others.

I am still wondering how NU mismanaged the situation with Vedral, solely because he wanted to transfer.  Frost can't force a guy to stick around, especially when Vedral didn't show anything during his time at NU which would have made him the eventual starter at NU.

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

What are you talking about? He helped who learn? AM? ONE QB?!

Nebraska is the only school in the country to recruit a scholarship athlete to teach 1 teammate how to run the offense

So, you’re ignoring the fact my other reason was to add depth. He was a player who knew the system and could run it from day one. That’s quality depth from day one. 

But, you tend to ignore that part. 

All you’re doing is stretching for a reason to complain. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1