Managing the QB Room

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

What are you talking about? He helped who learn? AM? ONE QB?!

Nebraska is the only school in the country to recruit a scholarship athlete to teach 1 teammate how to run the offense

Vedral wanted to try and play at Nebraska.  Frost offered him to come back to NU, compete for the job, and see where it went. If the NCAA didn't screw up his transfer season in 2018, Vedral would have been a solid back-up that season.  In 2019, Vedral was the main backup for Martinez, and played a decent amount of games when Martinez was injured.

How is that mismanaging a scholarship, unless you think Vedral was worth only a walk-on spot to be a backup?

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, any time a QB doesn’t like his spot on the depth chart, it’s the coaches fault because of mismanaging the room?

Yes. I am saying exactly that. EXACTLY that. SMH. I don’t know why he left, but he did. You’re putting words in my mouth and creating some narrative I have never expressed. It’s a flat statement critiquing where we stand at the moment. 

I simply said the QB development at NU is not that bad to where a QB left NU and is starting for another P5 school in his 1st year, that says something positive about development. (But apparently Rutgers isn’t a good enough school to compare to? Or did Vedral coach himself while he was coaching Adrian?)

I also noted that our current depth shows lack of management and provided examples. Every team in the B1G, except Michigan and Maryland have multiple QBs with college experience at 1-2 in their teams depth chart. Iowa could be thrown into that category too, considering their backup has like 4 pass attempts. 

You’re getting twisted up over assumptions and attempting to assign blame and fault. Everybody is accountable for their actions, Vedral could do what he wants, Frost and Co could manage a roster better. Verduzco, the qb savant, could develop better. I never opined about individual situations of what happened, but I expressed the room as whole. 

55 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, you’re ignoring the fact my other reason was to add depth. He was a player who knew the system and could run it from day one. That’s quality depth from day one. 

But, you tend to ignore that part. 

All you’re doing is stretching for a reason to complain. 

Not at all. You’re stretching to argue for arguments sake. A critique is NOT just a complain for complaining sake - sheesh. I can see how it comes off that way in message board but that’s not at all why I expressed my initial opinion. You chimed in on my comment and started to create a narrative that I never brought up. 

I never ignored any part of your argument. I don’t believe that bringing in a player to coach another player is the right move - that’s why they pay someone (called a coach) to do that job and why Vedral is no loo longer on the team. That’s a terrible reason to recruit someone and waste a scholarship. 

1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

I don’t care about other programs. I can guarantee other schools who want to compete amongst don’t have this issue you are trying to pick at. You’re deviating from the topic and creating a red herring 

Iowa's backup is a 3 star RS/SO who is completely unproven.  His impressive offer list consists of Central Michigan, CSU, Columbia, and Cornell.  Woohoo

Most of the other schools we compete against have unproven guys backing up the QB position.  The exceptions are guys like Kellog who just hang out and hope to toss a hail mary some day when everyone else is hurt.  

The bottom line, if your backup is any good, you can count on him leaving very soon.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Just now, Savage Husker said:

Not at all. You’re stretching to argue for arguments sake. A critique is NOT just a complain for complaining sake - sheesh. I can see how it comes off that way in message board but that’s not at all why I expressed my initial opinion. You chimed in on my comment and started to create a narrative that I never brought up. 

I never ignored any part of your argument. I don’t believe that bringing in a player to coach another player is the right move - that’s why they pay someone - called a coach - to do that job and why Vedral is no loo longer on the team. That’s a terrible reason to recruit someone and waste a scholarship. 

He was brought in to provide depth, period.  There was an added bonus in that he knew the playbook and could help the entire offense, not just one player.  I can't believe this is even being discussed.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Just now, Hilltop said:

Iowa's backup is a 3 star RS/SO who is completely unproven.  His impressive offer list consists of Central Michigan, CSU, Columbia, and Cornell.  Woohoo

Most of the other schools we compete against have unproven guys backing up the QB position.  The exceptions are guys like Kellog who just hang out and hope to toss a hail mary some day when everyone else is hurt.  

The bottom line, if your backup is any good, you can count on him leaving very soon.  

Dude. I said that in my recent post. Over 70% of the teams in the B1G have multiple players with QB experience, even OSU. That point was back at Mav who seems to think the majority of schools are in our position. 

Good for you to reduce Kellogg’s career to just “throwing a Hail Mary” - wow. 

Just now, Savage Husker said:

Dude. I said that in my recent post. Over 70% of the teams in the B1G have multiple players with QB experience, even OSU. That point was back at Mav who seems to think the majority of schools are in our position. 

Saying teams have players that have played is nowhere near proving they are in a much better position.

Are you going to answer my questions from earlier?

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Saying teams have players that have played is nowhere near proving they are in a much better position.

Are you going to answer my questions from earlier?

Saying teams are in the same position as us is not factual and you’re trying to incorporate “proven” experience. You’re adding a qualifier that I have never expressed nor “complained” about. 

Would you or would you not ideally want a football program to have experience at the QB position? The backup would have experience that? We don’t have that and 70% of teams in the B1G do. 

Why are you attempting to add more to a comment than what is face value? Why are you so argumentative?

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Savage Husker said:

Saying teams are in the same position as us is not factual and you’re trying to incorporate “proven” experience. You’re adding a qualifier that I have never expressed nor “complained” about. 

Would you or would you not ideally want a football program to have experience at the QB position? The backup would have experience that? We don’t have that and 70% of teams in the B1G do. 

Why are you attempting to add more to a comment than what is face value? Why are you so argumentative?

How exactly are you going to prove "developmental" without showing that they are "proven"?

Still not going to answer my other questions?

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You literally said that his departure is mismanagement. 

Yes, mismanagement of the QB room - which was my original point. I did not specifically say that Frost mismanaged Vedral and his situation. I disagreed with your opinion about why he would be brought in, that’s your opinion I’m disagreeing with, not Frosts.

10 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Having some QB experience does not equal proven depth.  Name more than one Big 10 team not named Ohio State with a backup that has shown they are capable of starting at another school.   

It's what Kellog is known for...  He had 9 pass attempts in mop up duty leading up to the chain of injuries that allowed him some playing time his senior year.  He knew he was never going to be the guy and flat out stated that in the B1G special.    

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Yes, mismanagement of the QB room - which was my original point. I did not specifically say that Frost mismanaged Vedral and his situation. I disagreed with your opinion about why he would be brought in, that’s your opinion I’m disagreeing with, not Frosts.

So…..Vedral leaving is mismanagement by Frost but you’re not saying Frost didn’t mismanage Vedral. 

You’re confusing.  

You disagree with my opinion on why he was brought in by ignoring half of why I said he was. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So…..Vedral leaving is mismanagement by Frost but you’re not saying Frost didn’t mismanage Vedral. 

You’re confusing.  

You disagree with my opinion on why he was brought in by ignoring half of why I said he was. 

Bringing in Vedral and letting him leave were both clearly mistakes by Frost. Seems pretty easy to understand

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

You say Ohio State has multiple players with QB experience?  Ohio State's top 2 QB's entering the 2021 season are CJ Stroud and Jack Miller (not including Quinn Ewers).  Both are redshirt freshmen entering this season and have combined for ZERO attempted passes in their college careers.  Wow, that's some awesome QB experience that Ohio State has returning.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2