Managing the QB Room

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So…..Vedral leaving is mismanagement by Frost but you’re not saying Frost didn’t mismanage Vedral. 

You’re confusing.  

You disagree with my opinion on why he was brought in by ignoring half of why I said he was. 

I didn’t ignore what you said, i mocked it because it’s a waste of time, scholarship, and reps for a kid who you don’t plan on having on your team and would leave a gap in depth. If Frost intentionally did what you’re saying, then he wasted a scholarship because the level of QB play and results would not support that decision another go around.

Yes, it’s simple to separate the two. One is a relationship between two individuals and the other is managed by a coach, it’s cause and effect. Frost has shown no urgency to create competition at the QB position. They have the ability to recruit someone to the team, it’s usually helpful to have depth and replace 3 QBs who transferred out before throwing a first time RS freshman into the mix - like

we’ve done 3 times in 12 years. Why are we content with young, zero experienced QBs? The following year we will have again, 1 QB with experience, unless AM stays for a 5th season. 

@Mavric Why are you asking questions you know answers to?

22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You say Ohio State has multiple players with QB experience?  Ohio State's top 2 QB's entering the 2021 season are CJ Stroud and Jack Miller (not including Quinn Ewers).  Both are redshirt freshmen entering this season and have combined for ZERO attempted passes in their college careers.  Wow, that's some awesome QB experience that Ohio State has returning.

Ok, my apologies - 65% of the league. Still not “the majority of the teams are in the same position as us” argument that Mav is making. Glad to see OSU depth is a point of emphasis in this…Even their backup scored on Nebraska last year. 

4 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

didn’t ignore what you said, i mocked it because it’s a waste of time, scholarship, and reps for a kid who you don’t plan on having on your team and would leave a gap in depth. If Frost intentionally did what you’re saying, then he wasted a scholarship because the level of QB play and results would not support that decision another go around.

What?   He wasn’t going to be on the team?

10 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Frost chose the best quarterback of the options presented to him and the guys who weren't the best quarterback transferred to other schools for chances to start. That has been happening at literally every school since the rise of transfers a few years ago. Can you explain what our coaches should do better to keep teenagers from pursuing their best opportunities?

200w.gif?cid=82a1493b57cypz30q0q0s0rlp65

Now imagine the blonde gal is a teenage quarterback and the other two guys are Frost and Verdu.

tenor.gif

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Frost chose the best quarterback of the options presented to him and the guys who weren't the best quarterback transferred to other schools for chances to start. That has been happening at literally every school since the rise of transfers a few years ago. Can you explain what our coaches should do better to keep teenagers from pursuing their best opportunities?

Find transfers themselves and cultivate competition to prevent their zero experienced underclassman from being thrown into the B1G defenses.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I'm not.  I don't know the answers.  That's why I'm asking you.  But you don't seem interested in explaining your reasoning.

You know what you’re doing Mav. You believe our QB room is ideal?

Apparently We have recruited a kid to coach other kids and let it be fine that he transfers out because that’s all we expected out of him

We signed a kid who wasn’t wanted at QB by any reputable program, let alone P5 now. 

We haven’t gone out and found a transfer  to bridge the gap from throwing another zero experienced underclassman under center. In fact, we turned at least one away. 

It’s not hard to see that current qb depth is not ideal. Just because 35% of other teams are in the same boat, it does not make it ideal, especially when your upperclassman starter makes so many self inflicted mistakes that he gets replaced mid-game and loses his starting spot to a freshman who transfers. 

Some of you guys are nitpicking and spinning a comment to become more than what it is. Y’all are also more confident than I am that AM suddenly reads a secondary or learns how to lead a RB into a bubble pass. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/3/2021 at 12:01 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

Through 57 pages not one person has been able to show any empirical evidence that shows any improvement in ANY of our Quarterbacks. Not one post. 

Martinez's completion percentage went up 12 points from 2019 to 2020.

His TD:INT ratio improved from 2019 to 2020.

His QB rating improved from 2019 to 2020.

QED

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

14 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

You know what you’re doing Mav. You believe our QB room is ideal?

So you keep chastizing people for putting words in your mouth and then you turn around and do the same thing.

Seems legit.

I'm asking straight-forward questions.  The part where you refuse to even attempt to answer them say a lot about the validity of your claims.

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

QED

You win. Technically. I guess that's all Nebraska55 fan demanded. 

But part of Adrian's high completion percentage in 2020 came with his lowest yards per attempt, a 7.0 reflecting the conservative offense. 

His TD:INT ratio went from 10/9 to 4/3, so yay shortened season. Given the 17/8 from his freshman season, that's still trending downward. 

And of course his QB rating as a Jr. was down from his freshman season, and not much of a bump from his Sophomore year. 

And Adrian's own coach benched a healthy Adrian for two games last year, convinced Luke McCaffrey gave the team a better chance to win.  Turns out the Luke McCaffrey Era will never take place. 

Last I checked, Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez have both admitted the quarterback had taken a backward step or two, mostly involving his decision making and ball protection. Adrian will start his senior season backed by quarterbacks who have never played a snap of college football. That's pretty unusual. 

You don't have to like the relentless negativity some posters have on this subject. But come on.....qb development has been a problem. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Mavric said:

QED

To be fair all we ran (for the most part) was bubble screens, swing passes and short curls/slants...just saw GC comment above, so...yeah 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1