Managing the QB Room

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

To be fair all we ran (for the most part) was bubble screens, swing passes and short curls/slants...just saw GC comment above, so...yeah 

It's true.  Can't argue with that.  But that was the 2020 passing game. Completion % will look real nice.  As it did with Taylor Martinez, doing the same thing with Kenny Bell & Alonzo Moore 2-3x a quarter.

I feel we have stretch play guys for this year.  Not just with Allen.  It should look a little better (downfield).  Toure, Martin, Allen, and hopefully Manning and Betts.  Just got to call those plays.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You don't have to like the relentless negativity some posters have on this subject. But come on.....qb development has been a problem. 

I don't have an issue with legitimate conversation.  There are things that need to get better.  But I think the we-suck-at-everything and I'm-only-going-to-look-at-the-stats-I-want-to-look-at from some is ridiculous.  His claim was stupid.  I simply pointed that out.

But I still don't believe it's a foregone conclusion that we are lacking in QB development.  We failed to recruit an entire offensive unit of players over a combined four straight recruiting cycles.  We only recruited two contributing WRs over a five year period and neither completed their eligibility here.  It looks pretty likely that we only recruited three contributing RBs over a five year period and they played a combined three seasons for Frost, mostly his first 1.5 years.  I don't know how people can look at that and come to any conclusion other than we just didn't have much to work with.

That first year when we had several NFL-level guys on the roster we took a QB who hadn't played football in nearly two years and turned him into a Heisman Trophy candidate.  We were #25 in the country in Total Offense running a brand new system; #2 in the B1G.  The last two years we had very little talent at the skill positions around him.  The most simple explanation is that the offense suffered when the talent decreased.  Really anything else takes ignoring numerous data points.  Such as a school record for completion percentage that led the B1G  Being the #6 rusher in the B1G (not among QBs, overall)  Being #4 in rushing TDs in the B1G (not among QBs, overall)  There were only two QBs in the B1G that had a significantly better passer rating.  He had the #2 QBR in the B1G last year; the only guy ahead of him was the #11 pick in the draft who had two of the best WRs in college football to throw to.

The overall results were bad.  I get that.  That passing game wasn't good.  I get that.  But that doesn't mean it's all the QB's fault.  Or that we aren't developing QBs.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
29 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't have an issue with legitimate conversation.  There are things that need to get better.  But I think the we-suck-at-everything and I'm-only-going-to-look-at-the-stats-I-want-to-look-at from some is ridiculous.  His claim was stupid.  I simply pointed that out.

But I still don't believe it's a foregone conclusion that we are lacking in QB development.  We failed to recruit an entire offensive unit of players over a combined four straight recruiting cycles.  We only recruited two contributing WRs over a five year period and neither completed their eligibility here.  It looks pretty likely that we only recruited three contributing RBs over a five year period and they played a combined three seasons for Frost, mostly his first 1.5 years.  I don't know how people can look at that and come to any conclusion other than we just didn't have much to work with.

That first year when we had several NFL-level guys on the roster we took a QB who hadn't played football in nearly two years and turned him into a Heisman Trophy candidate.  We were #25 in the country in Total Offense running a brand new system; #2 in the B1G.  The last two years we had very little talent at the skill positions around him.  The most simple explanation is that the offense suffered when the talent decreased.  Really anything else takes ignoring numerous data points.  Such as a school record for completion percentage that led the B1G  Being the #6 rusher in the B1G (not among QBs, overall)  Being #4 in rushing TDs in the B1G (not among QBs, overall)  There were only two QBs in the B1G that had a significantly better passer rating.  He had the #2 QBR in the B1G last year; the only guy ahead of him was the #11 pick in the draft who had two of the best WRs in college football to throw to.

The overall results were bad.  I get that.  That passing game wasn't good.  I get that.  But that doesn't mean it's all the QB's fault.  Or that we aren't developing QBs.

You need to drop yore mic, boom

• Plus1 5

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

So you keep chastizing people for putting words in your mouth and then you turn around and do the same thing.

Seems legit.

I'm asking straight-forward questions.  The part where you refuse to even attempt to answer them say a lot about the validity of your claims.

lol i legitimately was asking whether you think our depth at QB is ideal. Why couldn’t you answer the straightforward question?

I then proceeded to answer your questions that pertain to my comment on this subject and explain my reasonings. If you care to disprove me then you go do your own research and share if you’d like. 

All I was saying was that qb depth is  mismanaged (provided examples and stated what I would have expected) and yet qb room has also shown signs of development. (Gasp!)

In the same time I have been told: Rutgers doesn’t count (when I suggested Vedral’s development), Vedral was recruited to coach players and provide depth (but he’s no longer on the team and starting elsewhere), had depth /“experience” turn into *proven* experience, challenged to do someone else’s research - turns out I was right, so thank you for that, now you’re saying I’m putting words in your mouth, and Guy begrudgingly agrees with me but not to the same degree.

Happy hump day y’all. 

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

So you're saying....we suck at everything?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
5 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So you're saying....we suck at everything?

I won’t speak for Mavric but I sure think there are quite a few areas where we’ve been much worse than managing the QB room. And a few of those; RBs, WRs and play calling have contributed to the angst of our QB performance.

People are making a big deal of 2AMs results the last two seasons but tell me, to who and where else was he supposed to go with the ball? Additionally, QB room management has nothing to do with trying to turn Wandale into Ironhead Heyward.

The constant negativity is off putting but it would be nice if people could keep it focused where it belongs. 2AM and our QB room have been the least of our problems.

• Plus1 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1
23 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I won’t speak for Mavric but I sure think there are quite a few areas where we’ve been much worse than managing the QB room. And a few of those; RBs, WRs and play calling have contributed to the angst of our QB performance.

People are making a big deal of 2AMs results the last two seasons but tell me, to who and where else was he supposed to go with the ball? Additionally, QB room management has nothing to do with trying to turn Wandale into Ironhead Heyward.

The constant negativity is off putting but it would be nice if people could keep it focused where it belongs. 2AM and our QB room have been the least of our problems.

Maybe we should start a thread called "The Least of Our Problems,"  For the moment it's the QB Room and a majority of the debate is between reasonable and slightly over-heated.

Meanwhile, we had a freshman QB being touted for the Heisman who enters his senior season with plenty of legitimate questions posed by legitimate football observers. It's not an internet troll issue. Quarterbacks with better resumes than Martinez get second-guessed constantly. Comes with the position and happens on every team fanboard.

I think we should also trust the opinions of Adrian Martinez and Scott Frost, who fully acknowledge the regression and mental lapses. The latter thought QB development was enough of a problem that he replaced Adrian with McCaffrey mid-season, and now the QB successor hand-picked by Frost can't find a team who considers him P5 worthy. 

I'm rooting for Adrian big time, and any of the hotshot QBs behind him, but I can't begrudge anyone who brings up these problems. At some point the optimism has to be earned. 

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Maybe we should start a thread called "The Least of Our Problems,"  For the moment it's the QB Room and a majority of the debate is between reasonable and slightly over-heated.

Meanwhile, we had a freshman QB being touted for the Heisman who enters his senior season with plenty of legitimate questions posed by legitimate football observers. It's not an internet troll issue. Quarterbacks with better resumes than Martinez get second-guessed constantly. Comes with the position and happens on every team fanboard.

I think we should also trust the opinions of Adrian Martinez and Scott Frost, who fully acknowledge the regression and mental lapses. The latter thought QB development was enough of a problem that he replaced Adrian with McCaffrey mid-season, and now the QB successor hand-picked by Frost can't find a team who considers him P5 worthy. 

I'm rooting for Adrian big time, and any of the hotshot QBs behind him, but I can't begrudge anyone who brings up these problems. At some point the optimism has to be earned. 

I agree….this would be an example of the reasonable discussion. And I don’t even care about “slightly heated” but multiple pages of trying to use Joe Burrow as the lynchpin for our QB room woes was just effin ridiculous and not anywhere in the realm between reasonable and heated.

What we need is for the season to begin and either squash all optimism or hopefully justify it so the negative nellies can crawl back under their rocks.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
18 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Good points Guy.  I really believe the conversation would have been completely different if certain posters could deliver their opinions in a reasonable manner.  I personally feel like we have good QB depth even though 2 and 3 have no college experience.  Maybe I'm crazy but I feel better with them than I did Vedral who was a known commodity.  There are a lot of unknowns with Smothers and Haarberg but from my optimistic fan chair, we are better to take chances on a kid who could be great than one we know has a ceiling of Rutgers rotation of QB talent.  I like Vedral and fully respect what he has done moving around the country to pursue his dream.  He just isn't the level of QB we need.  If anything, the last 10 years has taught us that green QBs can be pretty damn good if the supporting cast is in place.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree….this would be an example of the reasonable discussion. And I don’t even care about “slightly heated” but multiple pages of trying to use Joe Burrow as the lynchpin for our QB room woes was just effin ridiculous and not anywhere in the realm between reasonable and heated.

What we need is for the season to begin and either squash all optimism or hopefully justify it so the negative nellies can crawl back under their rocks.

I agree. But at the risk of dragging this on.....both you and Mav just cited all the things the Huskers are bad at as a way of excusing the QB play. That's some serious negative nellyism right there. 

There were also some people pretending Joe Burrow wasn't anything special. Which is silly.

So let's do what the Olympic judges do -- throw out the best score and the worst score and take that as the measure. 

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree. But at the risk of dragging this on.....both you and Mav just cited all the things the Huskers are bad at as a way of excusing the QB play. That's some serious negative nellyism right there. 

There were also some people pretending Joe Burrow wasn't anything special. Which is silly.

So let's do what the Olympic judges do -- throw out the best score and the worst score and take that as the measure. 

1) It's not being negative to state that quarterback play doesn't exist in a vacuum and that we were, in fact, quite bad at a lot of other areas of offense last year, which would affect quarterback play.

2) No one serious was saying that Joe Burrow "wasn't special." They were saying that our coaches followed good process and made a decision that every other staff in the country would have made, and then in an extremely unlikely turn of events Joe Burrow ended up being special. There's a difference between process and results and some posters don't seem to understand that and flatten everything into A/B arguments devoid of context so that they can criticize the staff. When talking about "negativity" that's what we're talking about, not pointing out deficiencies in players. I have no problem with people saying "Adrian Martinez needs to fumble less." That's true! But I do have a problem with "Adrian Martinez fumbles and we had a bunch of backups who got beat out transfer, so that means there's been no quarterback development."

• Thanks 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1