Managing the QB Room

50 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I agree. But at the risk of dragging this on.....both you and Mav just cited all the things the Huskers are bad at as a way of excusing the QB play. That's some serious negative nellyism right there. 

There were also some people pretending Joe Burrow wasn't anything special. Which is silly.

So let's do what the Olympic judges do -- throw out the best score and the worst score and take that as the measure. 

Actually I didn’t use those other issues to excuse bad QB play. I don’t believe our QB play has been bad. @J-MAGIC just said it best, QB play doesn’t exist in a vacuum and there are reasons (not excuses) which should be easily recognizable but some instead choose to focus on non-contributing (imo) issues.

It’s not negative nellyism to point out where the deficiencies really occured. At this point it shouldn’t even be debatable that our RBs and WRs for the past two seasons have been a mostly non-existent entity that would place any QB(s) at a disadvantage.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

35 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

1) It's not being negative to state that quarterback play doesn't exist in a vacuum and that we were, in fact, quite bad at a lot of other areas of offense last year, which would affect quarterback play.

Saying we are quite bad in a lot of other areas is literally more negative than saying our quarterback development is lacking. 

This guy ain't walking through the door.  Expectations vs. reality.  AM is a good QB.  He could be great with better pieces around him...which we all (except for Nebraska55fan) seem to think we will have this year.

Does he have warts, yes.  So did this guy.  A big difference was this guy had an all world team supporting him.  AM hasn't had that.  We go around and around with this junk.  Just let the kid play & let the chips fall where they may.

We, as a fan base, poo poo more QBs than any other...imo.  especially for a school that has had little to no history of throwers.  When Cowboy Joe Ganz is your "go-to" best throwing QB...the bar is very low.  

This is a reason why kids don't want to come here...some of you guys suck huge donkey balls.

ColorfulNastyAlaskanmalamute-max-1mb.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

34 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

This guy ain't walking through the door.  Expectations vs. reality.  AM is a good QB.  He could be great with better pieces around him...which we all (except for Nebraska55fan) seem to think we will have this year.

Does he have warts, yes.  So did this guy.  A big difference was this guy had an all world team supporting him.  AM hasn't had that.  We go around and around with this junk.  Just let the kid play & let the chips fall where they may.

We, as a fan base, poo poo more QBs than any other...imo.  especially for a school that has had little to no history of throwers.  When Cowboy Joe Ganz is your "go-to" best throwing QB...the bar is very low.  

This is a reason why kids don't want to come here...some of you guys suck huge donkey balls.

ColorfulNastyAlaskanmalamute-max-1mb.gif

You misspelled "Zac Taylor". 

• Haha 2
48 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

No it isn’t. It’s just more accurate and it doesn’t wrongly place blame.

Actually it is. Literally and figuratively.  Saying that a lot of things are worse is more negative than saying a single thing is bad. 

But if you want to shift over to blame-placing, let me see if I understand the argument as currently presented: 

Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez benefitted from inheriting the NFL-level  talent left by Mike Riley (!?!) in 2018, resulting in good QB numbers for Adrian and the offense in general, although Frost wasn't able to improve on Riley's record. 

Over the course of 3 seasons, the player development and recruiting did not significantly improve — the talent actually got worse -- and Martinez's performance reflected that. He can't be blamed for the many other things that got worse in Scott Frost's tenure. 

So anyone blaming Adrian Martinez without blaming all the other players and coaches is being needlessly negative.

Right? 

I think we all hope this season will be different. 

• Fire 2
16 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

You misspelled "Zac Taylor". 

Proving my point even more!  Guy gets butthurt about Zac Taylor...instead of Joe Ganz.  That should put into perspective where our program has been in terms of QBs.  Both fine, solid college QBs.  There are tons of Zac Taylors on teams across the country.  

QB University we are not.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Actually it is. Literally and figuratively.  Saying that a lot of things are worse is more negative than saying a single thing is bad. 

But if you want to shift over to blame-placing, let me see if I understand the argument as currently presented: 

Scott Frost and Adrian Martinez benefitted from inheriting the NFL-level  talent left by Mike Riley (!?!) in 2018, resulting in good QB numbers for Adrian and the offense in general, although Frost wasn't able to improve on Riley's record. 

Over the course of 3 seasons, the player development and recruiting did not significantly improve — the talent actually got worse -- and Martinez's performance reflected that. He can't be blamed for the many other things that got worse in Scott Frost's tenure. 

So anyone blaming Adrian Martinez without blaming all the other players and coaches is being needlessly negative.

Right? 

I think we all hope this season will be different. 

It’s apparent that you still don’t understand what many of us are and have been saying. If this is your take away from the discussion, I can only blame myself (and a few others) or you have some strong beliefs that won’t be penetrated. Whatever.

At least some of us are hopeful that the results improve. Unfortunately it seems being right is more important to some posters. Thats the type of negativity that bothers me.

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

Proving my point even more!  Guy gets butthurt about Zac Taylor...instead of Joe Ganz.  That should put into perspective where our program has been in terms of QBs.  Both fine, solid college QBs.  There are tons of Zac Taylors on teams across the country.  

QB University we are not.

I get what you're saying, insofar as neither of them is an all-time great passer or NFL stud or anything like that, but at the same time, let's not forget that Zac Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year, and mid-way through Joe Ganz' senior season he had the third highest QBR of all active quarterbacks behind Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford. They were both better than 'fine, solid'.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

I get what you're saying, insofar as neither of them is an all-time great passer or NFL stud or anything like that, but at the same time, let's not forget that Zac Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year, and mid-way through Joe Ganz' senior season he had the third highest QBR of all active quarterbacks behind Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford. They were both better than 'fine, solid'.

Ok

3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

It’s apparent that you still don’t understand what many of us are and have been saying. If this is your take away from the discussion, I can only blame myself (and a few others) or you have some strong beliefs that won’t be penetrated. Whatever.

At least some of us are hopeful that the results improve. Unfortunately it seems being right is more important to some posters. Thats the type of negativity that bothers me.

FFS. I clearly understand what you're saying as reflected in the words I've chosen. I've posted multiple times on multiple threads that I predict a great season for Adrian Martinez. It will be a breakthrough precisely because Adrian's progress had stalled. We can all agree that the supporting talent has been underwhelming (talk about negativity!) but pretty much every college football observer INCLUDING ADRIAN MARTINEZ AND SCOTT FROST AND EVERY PREVIOUS THREAD ON HUSKERBOARD has talked about Adrian regressing after his fearless freshman season, and needing to improve his decision making and turnover issues. Throw in Luke McCaffrey and you have a legitimate debate on quarterback development. 

It boggles the mind that you guys can talk about all the things Nebraska does worse as a way of defending Martinez & Frost, then whine about "the type of negativity" that bothers you. If you have pre-approved talking points for "Managing the QB Room"  please post them. 

You can recognize a problem and root for the solution at the same time, folks. 

• Thanks 2
  • Fire 2
7 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

They were saying that our coaches followed good process and made a decision that every other staff in the country would have made,

This statement just simply isn’t true.  The top programs in the country constantly take as much talent at QB they can get and let them fight it out.  Usually one rises to the top and stays there, but talent is constantly funneling in.  bringing in more talent to help push a young and seemingly talented QB is doing your due diligence as a coaching staff towards the most important position in sports.  

Though I’m  also on the same side as you in that no one could have known Burrow would be a  Heisman winner.  

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

FFS. I clearly understand what you're saying as reflected in the words I've chosen. I've posted multiple times on multiple threads that I predict a great season for Adrian Martinez. It will be a breakthrough precisely because Adrian's progress had stalled. We can all agree that the supporting talent has been underwhelming (talk about negativity!) but pretty much every college football observer INCLUDING ADRIAN MARTINEZ AND SCOTT FROST AND EVERY PREVIOUS THREAD ON HUSKERBOARD has talked about Adrian regressing after his fearless freshman season, and needing to improve his decision making and turnover issues. Throw in Luke McCaffrey and you have a legitimate debate on quarterback development. 

It boggles the mind that you guys can talk about all the things Nebraska does worse as a way of defending Martinez & Frost, then whine about "the type of negativity" that bothers you. If you have pre-approved talking points for "Managing the QB Room"  please post them. 

You can recognize a problem and root for the solution at the same time, folks. 

No, you clearly don’t understand my position. If you did you would not keep framing and spinning it incorrectly. And obviously we fundamentally disagree on what constitutes being negative.  I’m getting this feeling that you think I’ve been accusing you of being negative. I have not.  But it’s all good. We just have a difference of opinion on the source of the QB issues and if its proper to frame those issues as necessarily a development problem. Yes Adrian’s productivity and growth have not trended in the desired direction. I attribute that more to a lack of supporting cast (not defending him or Frost and not being negative, it just is what it is). I mean hell, the whole deal is Frost’s responsibility no matter what is to blame. IMO, if 2AM goes down and then we don’t have anyone who can come in and do a serviceable job, then it would be more appropriate to talk about the “room”.  But for the last two years our QB room didn’t stand a chance.  As far as Frost or others saying Adrian has regressed, my opinion is that has largely been unavoidable and is not entirely fair. Again not defending Adrian, I just don’t see how he was supposed to advance with virtually no weapons at his disposal and the coach misusing the only weapon we did have. Here is maybe some negativity…our offense overall has been a$$ but the last position I attribute that to is QB. Maybe Im wrong but that’s how I see it.

At least we both want to see improvement this year.  Can the season please start already? :cheers