Managing the QB Room

1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

So, are some thinking the lack of other offensive position development has been the catalyst for our poor QB development?

Yes. You said it in one sentence. It took me a couple Huskerlaw length posts and I still haven’t been understood. :lol:

15 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

I get what you're saying, insofar as neither of them is an all-time great passer or NFL stud or anything like that, but at the same time, let's not forget that Zac Taylor was the Big XII Offensive Player of the Year, and mid-way through Joe Ganz' senior season he had the third highest QBR of all active quarterbacks behind Tim Tebow and Sam Bradford. They were both better than 'fine, solid'.

Both were damn good QBs.  I’m baffled that a husker fan is trying to say they weren’t. 

• Fire 1
38 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Both were damn good QBs.  I’m baffled that a husker fan is trying to say they weren’t. 

I feel like saying they were solid is good...right?  They weren't bad.  Far from it.  But if that's the bar, as a program we're light-years behind almost every other big 10 team in terms of quality QBs...that are expected to throw it.

As a program we're in the infant stage of that, as we've been an option attack for decades before that.

It baffles me, that we have had very few good QBs in our programs history (throwers), yet we poo poo everyone that we get.  Criticism is fine, and sometimes justified.  Continually bashing every QB that plays on our roster is super juvenile.

As I mentioned before, this is one of the reasons certain kids don't come here.  Kids read what people say.  If we want "better recruits" then don't be @$$holes and be supportive.

I'm not saying you are that guy...I think we all know who those guys are.  

7 minutes ago, hunter49 said:

our crop of quality receivers (since Frost) has not been much. hard to recruit good QBs when that happens.

just another factor to consider.

That could be.  Also harder to recruit QBs when you have a freshman or sophomore starter.  A lot of the top-shelf guys don't want to go somewhere where they might have to sit for 2-3 years before playing.

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Mavric said:

That could be.  Also harder to recruit QBs when you have a freshman or sophomore starter.  A lot of the top-shelf guys don't want to go somewhere where they might have to sit for 2-3 years before playing.

Yep. Hell, in this day & age it's even been hard for us to keep a guy that knows he's the guaranteed backup.

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I feel like saying they were solid is good...right?  They weren't bad.  Far from it.  But if that's the bar, as a program we're light-years behind almost every other big 10 team in terms of quality QBs...that are expected to throw it.

As a program we're in the infant stage of that, as we've been an option attack for decades before that.

It baffles me, that we have had very few good QBs in our programs history (throwers), yet we poo poo everyone that we get.  Criticism is fine, and sometimes justified.  Continually bashing every QB that plays on our roster is super juvenile.

As I mentioned before, this is one of the reasons certain kids don't come here.  Kids read what people say.  If we want "better recruits" then don't be @$$holes and be supportive.

I'm not saying you are that guy...I think we all know who those guys are.  

I’m not saying bashing any of our players is a good thing but I would be really surprised if it has cost us more than one recruit ever.  If would be players are going online and basing their decision on internet blowhards, they’re going to be in for a rough ride anywhere. We (msg board posters) just aren’t that important or taken that seriously (I hope).

13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

No, you clearly don’t understand my position. If you did you would not keep framing and spinning it incorrectly. And obviously we fundamentally disagree on what constitutes being negative.  I’m getting this feeling that you think I’ve been accusing you of being negative. I have not.  But it’s all good. We just have a difference of opinion on the source of the QB issues and if its proper to frame those issues as necessarily a development problem. Yes Adrian’s productivity and growth have not trended in the desired direction. I attribute that more to a lack of supporting cast (not defending him or Frost and not being negative, it just is what it is). I mean hell, the whole deal is Frost’s responsibility no matter what is to blame. IMO, if 2AM goes down and then we don’t have anyone who can come in and do a serviceable job, then it would be more appropriate to talk about the “room”.  But for the last two years our QB room didn’t stand a chance.  As far as Frost or others saying Adrian has regressed, my opinion is that has largely been unavoidable and is not entirely fair. Again not defending Adrian, I just don’t see how he was supposed to advance with virtually no weapons at his disposal and the coach misusing the only weapon we did have. Here is maybe some negativity…our offense overall has been a$$ but the last position I attribute that to is QB. Maybe Im wrong but that’s how I see it.

At least we both want to see improvement this year.  Can the season please start already? :cheers

I agree with everything except the first sentence. :)

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

That's true. At the same time there seem to be more starter-ready high school phenoms than ever, and pressure to get them on the field faster. 

I think Portal Season  is going to be a regular feature of college football every bit as much as Letter of Intent Day. Seems fair and inevitable for the players, but as a fan I'm not crazy about it. 

22 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Is solid bad now?  I'm confused, Tony

Well, let's explore your logic here for a second:

I feel like saying they were solid is good...right?  

And: 

It baffles me, that we have had very few good QBs in our programs history (throwers), yet we poo poo everyone that we get. 

But: 

20 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

When Cowboy Joe Ganz is your "go-to" best throwing QB...the bar is very low.  

And:

19 hours ago, Cobra Kai said:

Proving my point even more!  Guy gets butthurt about Zac Taylor...instead of Joe Ganz.  That should put into perspective where our program has been in terms of QBs.  Both fine, solid college QBs.  There are tons of Zac Taylors on teams across the country.  

Help me understand, Johnny: It's not ok to poo poo our good throwing QBs, but it's ok to poo poo Zac Taylor and Cowboy Joe Ganz, even though they were "solid" (read: good) throwing QBs?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

I think we tend to equate our best throwing QBs with some of our worst seasons -- winning wise -- and the notion that we weren't playing Nebraska-style football.

Some truth to that. 

I loved Zac Taylor, and I'm on record here as saying Joe Ganz would earn coin as an NFL back-up. But our bar for great passing quarterbacks is pretty modest. 

• Thanks 1