A dinner you miss from when you were a kid

Beanie Weenie with Wimmers wieners. (say that fast three times :lol:). Its the stupidest easy thing to make but I don’t think Ive had it once since last my mom made it 40 years ago.

The two things I miss the most is my Grandma’s fried chicken and pan fried carp.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I will start, I miss (now, at the time I hated it) my mom making meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy and some corn.  

Of course, had to put ketchup on the meatloaf.

I prob make that meal 3-4 times per year. Just get a craving for it now and then.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

One meal I don't miss as a kid was chipped beef (with gravy) on toast, better known as SOS.  I couldn't stand this when my mom would make it.  I remember she tried to give this to me as a 4-year old and I just spread it around all over my plate like I was eating it.  I am sure when it's done well it's really good, but I wasn't having it as a kid.

On a fonder note, when I was a kid, my dad would poach eggs for breakfast on Tuesdays.  He knew I didn't like poached eggs because the yolks would get too firm.  So, with his special egg poacher he would make me a couple of soft boiled eggs and serve it with toast.  I would be in heaven as I took my toast and sopped up all the runny yolk goodness of the soft boiled egg.  It's one of my favorite memories of my dad, and as one of 5 boys, it was cool that he was willing to do something special just for me.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Frozen salisbury steak.  Remember that mystery meat with brown gravy sauce/grease?  It was delicious and went well with mash potatos, corn and glass of milk. 

Tried it 5 years ago, it was not that great as I recall

But, I think that's the reason why I love the mcrib.  It's like the bbq version of salisbury steak (similar, kinda, sorta).

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 hour ago, admo said:

Frozen salisbury steak.  Remember that mystery meat with brown gravy sauce/grease?  It was delicious and went well with mash potatos, corn and glass of milk. 

Tried it 5 years ago, it was not that great as I recall

But, I think that's the reason why I love the mcrib.  It's like the bbq version of salisbury steak (similar, kinda, sorta).

I totally forgot about the salisbury steaks!

• Oh Yeah! 1
14 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Beanie Weenie with Wimmers wieners. (say that fast three times :lol:). Its the stupidest easy thing to make but I don’t think Ive had it once since last my mom made it 40 years ago.

The two things I miss the most is my Grandma’s fried chicken and pan fried carp.

Carp done right is pretty good,  best fried in beef lard 

• Plus1 1