Bill Connelly's 2021 SP+ Pre-Season Rankings Released

The process for my annual preview series is pretty straightforward: set some early projections in February (check), embark on a conference-by-conference preview series (check), then update the projections in August to account for roster movement. With the preview series officially in the books, it's time for step three.

SP+ is my opponent- and tempo-adjusted look at the most sustainable and predictive aspects of college football. It is intended to be predictive and forward-facing; it is a power ranking, not a résumé ranking that gives credit for big wins or brave scheduling.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/insider/story/_/id/32000492/college-football-2021-updated-preseason-sp+-rankings

Some rankings of note:

#3 Oklahoma

#4 Ohio State

#6 Wisconsin

#16 Iowa

#17 Michigan

#24 Minnesota

#32 Nebraska

#51 Michigan State

#52 Purdue

#76 Northwestern

#81 Illinois

#88 Buffalo

• Plus1 1
  • Saunders changed the title to Bill Connelly's 2021 SP+ Pre-Season Rankings Released

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

Some rankings of note:

#3 Oklahoma

#4 Ohio State

#6 Wisconsin

#16 Iowa

#17 Michigan

#24 Minnesota

#32 Nebraska

#51 Michigan State

#52 Purdue

#76 Northwestern

#81 Illinois

#88 Buffalo

Big things here seem to be Michigan and Minnesota making jumps (both were around #30 in the February rankings) and Buffalo dropping. Everything else looks about the same.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

it's not where you start, it's where you finish.  Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Minn are not finishing in the top 25

I would take that bet. I respect the Wisconsin and Iowa football programs- but dislike them greatly. I dislike and dont respect Minny- but this would be a terrible bet to make unless you had REALLY good odds. Watched NW, Iowa and Wisconsin a bunch on BTN this week- they just dont beat themselves- not a good bet IMO>

2 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I would take that bet. I respect the Wisconsin and Iowa football programs- but dislike them greatly. I dislike and dont respect Minny- but this would be a terrible bet to make unless you had REALLY good odds. Watched NW, Iowa and Wisconsin a bunch on BTN this week- they just dont beat themselves- not a good bet IMO>

I'm willing it into fruition