Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

This thread is relevant to the Husker Football forum for 2 reasons: it’s a past Husker head coach AND it sheds light on some things during Pelini’s tenure.

First off: skip 20 minutes into this podcast. You won’t miss ANY substance.

Secondly, you should know that I was not a huge fan of Bo Pelini and his embarrassing inability to maintain ANY sense of composure in the face of a bad mistake, a bad call, whatever. I always felt that Nebraska was one 911 call from Mrs. Pelini away from disaster with that guy.

But I had to STOP THE PODCAST at the 43 minute mark with the epiphany that if Scott Frost indeed turns out to NOT be the guy to return the Huskers to relevancy, then I want WHOEVER is the current Chancellor and A.D. to say the previous guys made the Wrong Call in getting rid of Pelini.

When asked if he could envision EVER returning to Nebraska he said “No” but his reasons were not his own - they were based upon his belief that Nebraska would never have the humility to ask him back.

Full podcast: 

• Plus1 2

OK, I may be more ignorant than your average fan, and I may have only started paying attention when I learned that 9 WIN SEASONS were not our God-Given Birthright. But I thought that Scott Frost brought in “The Program” (military style shared adversity training) from UCF. But 55 minutes in I learn that Pelini started that at Nebraska. He recommends it. But I’ve hear NOTHING about it being employed with the 2021 team.

Anyone have any insight into that?

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

There's also a section in there where Compton tells Bo that, because of Bo's meltdowns, players on his team would go into a shell. And Bo agreed, and agreed that that cost us some games.

Bo is/was Bo's worst enemy. He could have been here this whole time, winning nine games a year and becoming the next Tom Osborne if he had just figured out how to keep his cool. 

I've always said: good teams that all too often couldn't get out of their own damn way, led by a good man who all too often couldn't get out of his own damn way.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Toe said:

I've always said: good teams that all too often couldn't get out of their own damn way, led by a good man who all too often couldn't get out of his own damn way.

Are you going to say it 900 times in every thread now? :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Bo probably wins 11 games with the schedule that Frost had during his first season. 

His program was trending down, recruiting was falling off. He would have started winning less and his act really would have worn off. Maybe we should have waited but the defensive genius was getting his hat fed to him by the Big Ten.

Bo didn't have to come in after Riley so that's largely irrelevant also.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

His program was trending down, recruiting was falling off. He would have started winning less and his act really would have worn off. Maybe we should have waited but the defensive genius was getting his hat fed to him by the Big Ten.

Bo didn't have to come in after Riley so that's largely irrelevant also.

Last 4 years were 9-10-9-9 and 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd.

Not really a downward trend.  

Clearly recruiting was either not trending down either OR they were great at developing because he kept finishing 1st or 2nd.  He was 22-10 in conference play in the Big Ten.  

Out of those 10 losses, which ones were games he blew?  I honestly don't remember.  I think there was a loss vs NW that was lame.  I think 3 vs wisconsin (not totally sure but the badgers were probably favored in 2 of the 3?).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1