Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Last 4 years were 9-10-9-9 and 3rd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd.

Not really a downward trend.  

Clearly recruiting was either not trending down either OR they were great at developing because he kept finishing 1st or 2nd.  He was 22-10 in conference play in the Big Ten.  

Out of those 10 losses, which ones were games he blew?  I honestly don't remember.  I think there was a loss vs NW that was lame.  I think 3 vs wisconsin (not totally sure but the badgers were probably favored in 2 of the 3?).

2011 - lost to an unranked NW team by 3 as a top 10 team, bad.

2011 - lost by 28 to the 20th ranked Michigan team as the #17 ranked team, bad

2012 - lost to Ohio State by 25. Ranked 9 spots lower, fine.

2012 - lost to an unranked Wisconsin team by 39 points as the 14th ranked team, very bad.

2013 - lost to an unranked Minnesota team by 11 as the 25 ranked team, bad.

2013 - lost by 13 to 14th ranked MSU while unranked, fine.

2013 - lost to unranked Iowa by 21 at home, bad.

2014 - lost on road to 10th ranked MSU by 9, fine.

2014 - lost to 22nd ranked Wisconsin by 35, while giving up an NCAA record for rushing, while being ranked #11. Very bad.

2014 - lost to unranked Minnesota by 4 in Lincoln while ranked #22, bad.

10 losses, 3 I deem as fine. That is what actually was occuring, not your revisionist version of it.  He lost a lot of games he shouldn't have.

Also, Wisconsin wasn't favored in any of those games.

• Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

At the rate he was looking for any and all offramp out of Lincoln, he would not have been here for that season. 

I don't think he was looking for ANY off ramp, I think he was just looking, which is normal and what everyone should be doing.

I love my job, my school, my coaching, love it!  And yet, I still look.  You never know what is out there.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, runningblind said:

2011 - lost to an unranked NW team by 3 as a top 10 team, bad.

2011 - lost by 28 to the 20th ranked Michigan team as the #17 ranked team, bad

2012 - lost to Ohio State by 25. Ranked 9 spots lower, fine.

2012 - lost to an unranked Wisconsin team by 39 points as the 14th ranked team, very bad.

2013 - lost to an unranked Minnesota team by 11 as the 25 ranked team, bad.

2013 - lost by 13 to 14th ranked MSU while unranked, fine.

2013 - lost to unranked Iowa by 21 at home, bad.

2014 - lost on road to 10th ranked MSU by 9, fine.

2014 - lost to 22nd ranked Wisconsin by 35, while giving up an NCAA record for rushing, while being ranked #11. Very bad.

2014 - lost to unranked Minnesota by 4 in Lincoln while ranked #22, bad.

10 losses, 3 I deem as fine. That is what actually was occuring, not your revisionist version of it.  He lost a lot of games he shouldn't have.

Also, Wisconsin wasn't favored in any of those games.

And what were his final records those seasons?

You have 7 bad conference losses in 4 seasons.  while still winning 9/10.  

Is it fair to say that if he cut that in half, and had (I will be nice) 4 bad conference losses in 4 seasons that you would LOVE him?

I have a feeling you wouldn't, I have a feeling you just didn't like him.

Losing 7 games he "should not have" in 4 seasons is not that many.  Not when you are still winning 9/10 and finishing 1st2nd.

Look, I liked winning a lot of games and finishing 1st/2nd, you didn't, that is okay.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, teachercd said:

And what were his final records those seasons?

You have 7 bad conference losses in 4 seasons.  while still winning 9/10.  

Is it fair to say that if he cut that in half, and had (I will be nice) 4 bad conference losses in 4 seasons that you would LOVE him?

I have a feeling you wouldn't, I have a feeling you just didn't like him.

Losing 7 games he "should not have" in 4 seasons is not that many.  Not when you are still winning 9/10 and finishing 1st2nd.

Look, I liked winning a lot of games and finishing 1st/2nd, you didn't, that is okay.

It's about making a decision with the information we had at that time, not looking back on it now. Of course I'd like 9/10 win seasons now but the decision was made with the evidence I just showed you. The guy was an a$$ hat and was losing any game that mattered, at a time when the conference was much weaker.

A competent hire at that point keeps the train rolling but we all know what happened.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It's about making a decision with the information we had at that time, not looking back on it now. Of course I'd like 9/10 win seasons now but the decision was made with the evidence I just showed you. The guy was an a$$ hat and was losing any game that mattered, at a time the conference was much weaker. 

The info you showed me was a coach that finished one or two ever season and won 9/10 games.

I don't care about his personality, I was not married to him.  I have worked with a lot of people that were a$$h@!es but were good at their job, I was fine with it.

I have coached with guys that were a$$h@!es and sucked at coaching and it was miserable.  

The conference was not weaker.  The conference sucks right now.  Michigan blows, MSU is horrible, PU is horrible, Illinois is still horrible, Wisky is the same, Rutgers still sucks, MD sucks, OSU is great, PSU is weird, Iowa is still lame, Indiana doesn't matter because NU never plays them for some reason, NW sucks

This weird idea that he lost games that matter makes no sense.  Do you know why those games mattered? Because he was winning all the other games!  When you are doing well, games matter!

I don't care that he got canned, like I said, I was not married to him but just be honest about why you are glad he was gone, it was not his record.  You did not like him, that is fine, but don't try to pretend that his record sucked.

• Plus1 4

1 minute ago, pubes said:

Let’s not forget his recent stint at LSU and how that ended for him. I’d like to believe that if he could have kept his attitude in check than he could have been successful but I do not believe that. LSU’s defense was insanely horrible. 

Yeah but who cares?  

Once they are gone from NU, who cares

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

The info you showed me was a coach that finished one or two ever season and won 9/10 games.

I don't care about his personality, I was not married to him.  I have worked with a lot of people that were a$$h@!es but were good at their job, I was fine with it.

I have coached with guys that were a$$h@!es and sucked at coaching and it was miserable.  

The conference was not weaker.  The conference sucks right now.  Michigan blows, MSU is horrible, PU is horrible, Illinois is still horrible, Wisky is the same, Rutgers still sucks, MD sucks, OSU is great, PSU is weird, Iowa is still lame, Indiana doesn't matter because NU never plays them for some reason, NW sucks

This weird idea that he lost games that matter makes no sense.  Do you know why those games mattered? Because he was winning all the other games!  When you are doing well, games matter!

I don't care that he got canned, like I said, I was not married to him but just be honest about why you are glad he was gone, it was not his record.  You did not like him, that is fine, but don't try to pretend that his record sucked.

You asked me which of those 10 losses were bad,  I responded and showed you.  You then moved off of that to rebutt and I responded more. That's fine but don't blame me for moving the goal posts dude! :lol:

The west is better.  Minnesota,  Wisconsin,  Iowa and NW are all clearly better than they were 2011 - 2014.

28 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't think he was looking for ANY off ramp, I think he was just looking, which is normal and what everyone should be doing.

I love my job, my school, my coaching, love it!  And yet, I still look.  You never know what is out there.

There were rumors of him looking around every season after, what, 2011?

• Plus1 1

Just now, runningblind said:

You asked me which of those 10 losses were bad,  I responded and showed you.  You then moved off of that to rebutt and I responded more. That's fine but don't blame me for moving the goal posts dude! :lol:

No, not at all!  We both agreed he had 7 bad losses in the Big Ten in 4 years!  That is not all that bad!  We both agree with that, right?

He still finished 1/2!

I don't want to move any goalposts.  My goalposts are the same!  I said he lost 10 games in conference and I said I could not remember which ones were bad losses and I said I thought 2/3 of the Wisconsin games were and one NW game, you filled in the other 4.

Should he have been fired based off his record, yes or no?  The answer is no.

We literally agree, you just won't say it.  You did not like him as a person, that is okay, it happens a lot.

8 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, not at all!  We both agreed he had 7 bad losses in the Big Ten in 4 years!  That is not all that bad!  We both agree with that, right?

He still finished 1/2!

I don't want to move any goalposts.  My goalposts are the same!  I said he lost 10 games in conference and I said I could not remember which ones were bad losses and I said I thought 2/3 of the Wisconsin games were and one NW game, you filled in the other 4.

Should he have been fired based off his record, yes or no?  The answer is no.

We literally agree, you just won't say it.  You did not like him as a person, that is okay, it happens a lot.

That's true, I don't like him. At the time I thought any halfway decent coach could have won 9 games here, and still do think that a good hire there does better than Bo. But we got the opposite of that instead.

Fired based off record not yet but life isn't that black and white. 

Just now, knapplc said:

Firing Lovie was a mistake.

Firing Bo? I think even Bo, in certain circumstances, would agree that it was time to part. Past time, even.

Hiring Lovie was a homerun...until people found out the ugly truth about his recruiting.

Firing zook was a mistake.

If no Eichorst, Bo is still here and we just had an 11 win season two years ago and a covid season with 5-6 wins...and probably like 4 awesome Bo meltdowns and a Dirk article on "being nervous Part II" and a QB recruit from Denmark that was a 5 star...and a JC player that no one heard of and turned out to be a freak and probably a new asst coach that was working as an IT guy for the last 3 years.

I miss bo!

• Fire 1