Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

22 minutes ago, macroboy said:

As for the Bo hate...it's tired. It is completely possible to believe he was the best coach we've had since TO (GTFO with that tired Solich nonsense- Nebraska welfare).

I don't know which direction this is going in, but Frank won a conference title and played for a natty, while Bo did neither, so...

• Plus1 2

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

Firing him was a mistake.

We all know it.

Nah. I love Bo but we were at the point where you wouldn’t even have to watch a big night game against a ranked opponent because you knew we’d get embarrassed by four touchdowns.

The nine wins mantra gets repeated by those who forget that part, and they forget that we rarely ended the season ranked (for good reason). We were not a top 25 program under Bo after Callahan’s players were out of the program. Our ceiling is higher than that, even though we’ve obviously taken a step back since he left.

• Plus1 4
3 minutes ago, ThroughTheseGates said:

Nah. I love Bo but we were at the point where you wouldn’t even have to watch a big night game against a ranked opponent because you knew we’d get embarrassed by four touchdowns.

The nine wins mantra gets repeated by those who forget that part, and they forget that we rarely ended the season ranked (for good reason). We were not a top 25 program under Bo after Callahan’s players were out of the program. Our ceiling is higher than that, even though we’ve obviously taken a step back since he left.

Out of curiosity, what about a 12-20 3 year run that makes you think the ceiling is higher? (I might have misunderstood yourcontext)  I am hoping for Frost to turn things around, but I am high in hope.  Not on what I have seen.  Blow out losses, coaching mistakes, same penalty prone and Turn Over team that has been our identity for too long.  Bo still got the 9-10 wins despite blow out losses and mistakes....

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I don't know which direction this is going in, but Frank won a conference title and played for a natty, while Bo did neither, so...

You're right. He was Larry Coker before Larry Coker.

So...this would go in the direction it always goes, and has for well over a decade on Huskerboard. Cherry picking Frank's coat tail years to validate an imaginary narrative even though we all saw what was happening.

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

Out of curiosity, what about a 12-20 3 year run that makes you think the ceiling is higher? (I might have misunderstood yourcontext)  I am hoping for Frost to turn things around, but I am high in hope.  Not on what I have seen.  Blow out losses, coaching mistakes, same penalty prone and Turn Over team that has been our identity for too long.  Bo still got the 9-10 wins despite blow out losses and mistakes....

There’s no reason our program can’t at least be as good as Wisconsin’s. They have no built-in advantages over us.

We became stagnant under Bo. We were consistently letting ranked teams (and not just the Ohio States of the world) run wild on us for seemingly 8 YPC. It wasn’t fun anymore. There was no upward trajectory toward our potential. This state clamors for a team that does more than just taking care of business against Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois.

Yes, it’s gotten worse since he left. That doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big 12 Conference) (1998–2003)
1998 Nebraska 9–4 5–3 T–2nd (North) L Holiday 20 19
1999 Nebraska 12–1 7–1 1st (North) W Fiesta 2 3
2000 Nebraska 10–2 6–2 T–1st (North) W Alamo 7 8
2001 Nebraska 11–2 7–1 T–1st (North) L Rose 7 8
2002 Nebraska 7–7 3–5 4th (North) L Independence    
2003 Nebraska 9–3* 5–3 2nd (North) Alamo* 18 19
Nebraska: 58–19 33–15 * Did not coach bowl game
8 minutes ago, macroboy said:

You're right. He was Larry Coker before Larry Coker.

So...this would go in the direction it always goes, and has for well over a decade on Huskerboard. Cherry picking Frank's coat tail years to validate an imaginary narrative even though we all saw what was happening.

Frank had some issues. I think with the staff shake up in 2003 he saw the writing on the wall.  I think that he did the right thing.  I think that he deserved more time with the new staff.  I still wonder what it would have looked like had Crawford chosen NU over baseball.....I'd still take his record or Bo's today...........

Unfortunately, since 2003 we have made some bad coaching choices.  Cally and Riley come to mind. 

• Plus1 1

@locountry I'm with you. I thought his 2003 season was good enough to earn him another year....but at best the rest of his run would have been similar to Bo's. 9-ish wins. Big game losses. Unranked season finishes.

It was time to move on from both.

The coaches hired after them were worse. That is the real issue.

We have fallen low enough that both of them look better than what we have now.

Hopefully Frost gets it figured out bc/ I am starting to think that if he can't we will never really be able to get back to the kind of relevance I grew up with.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, macroboy said:

@locountry I'm with you. I thought his 2003 season was good enough to earn him another year....but at best he would have had a run similar to Bo's. 9-ish wins. Big game losses. Unranked season finishes.

It was time to move on from both.

The coaches hired after them were worse. That is the real issue.

We have fallen low enough that both of them look better than what we have now.

Hopefully Frost gets it figured out bc/ I am starting to think that if he can't we will never really be able to get back to the kind of relevance I grew up with.

Absolutely not

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, ThroughTheseGates said:

There’s no reason our program can’t at least be as good as Wisconsin’s. They have no built-in advantages over us.

We became stagnant under Bo. We were consistently letting ranked teams (and not just the Ohio States of the world) run wild on us for seemingly 8 YPC. It wasn’t fun anymore. There was no upward trajectory toward our potential. This state clamors for a team that does more than just taking care of business against Minnesota, Purdue, and Illinois.

Yes, it’s gotten worse since he left. That doesn’t mean it was the wrong decision.

I agree with the bolded.  Unfortunately, 3 coaches into the B1G we are still not as successful as Wisky or Iowa or North Western.  We have a winning record against Illinois, losing record to Purdue (under Frost) and Minnie (under Frost)...........There is nothing, but hope, optimism and potential (this the biggest) to think we will improve this year.  We are currently as threatening to the B1G as Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland......That's gotta change.  I'm hoping it starts this year.

41 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Ok, cool. So under that scenario, does he magically decide he still wants to be at Nebraska, or does he still look for the first life raft or floating door off the ship?

Then it's much more likely to believe that he would have left with a lotto ticket than still be here. 

Maybe?  

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I agree with the bolded.  Unfortunately, 3 coaches into the B1G we are still not as successful as Wisky or Iowa or North Western.  We have a winning record against Illinois, losing record to Purdue (under Frost) and Minnie (under Frost)...........There is nothing, but hope, optimism and potential (this the biggest) to think we will improve this year.  We are currently as threatening to the B1G as Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland......That's gotta change.  I'm hoping it starts this year.

This is a Bo Pelini thread where I responded to a poster who claimed it was the wrong decision to fire him.

Why are you arguing with me about Frost? I never said we’re currently reaching our potential under him. We obviously aren’t, but we should give him a few more years to try.