Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

36 minutes ago, macroboy said:

You're right. He was Larry Coker before Larry Coker.

So...this would go in the direction it always goes, and has for well over a decade on Huskerboard. Cherry picking Frank's coat tail years to validate an imaginary narrative even though we all saw what was happening.

Quick, when was the team the best: Bo's with Callahan's recruits, or Bo's with his own recruits? 

• Plus1 1

Just now, teachercd said:

But I guess I don't see a problem with that.  Ideally, you want coaches that other schools/programs want.  That means they are doing well.

What you DON'T want is a Mike Riley, that no one wanted.

That's fair and true to say, but what I'm trying to say is that it was much more likely that Bo's not here today than he is, given the choice being left to him. 

9 minutes ago, macroboy said:

Yes, it was.

This is the same stupid narrative.  Bo was stagnant, couldn't get over the hump.  He had to change his whole effing defense for the big ten.   The same idiotic arguement for Frost as he needs to have 4 years to get his guys.  If that's true then the former os true.  And Bo had gotten 5 NFL defensive linemen that were big ten appropriate.  Unfortunately we weren't allowed to see how that played out.  I don't live in some fantasy land were Nebraska is in a better place now (hasn't sold stadium out this year, losing more and more in state talent, apathy, ect) then it was under Bo.  It just isn't true. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

That's fair and true to say, but what I'm trying to say is that it was much more likely that Bo's not here today than he is, given the choice being left to him. 

Yeah, I get that.  I mean if he did 3 more seasons and went 9-10-9 again, I would think there would be a good amount of schools interested. 

14 hours ago, teachercd said:

No, not at all!  We both agreed he had 7 bad losses in the Big Ten in 4 years!  That is not all that bad!  We both agree with that, right?

He still finished 1/2!

I don't want to move any goalposts.  My goalposts are the same!  I said he lost 10 games in conference and I said I could not remember which ones were bad losses and I said I thought 2/3 of the Wisconsin games were and one NW game, you filled in the other 4.

Should he have been fired based off his record, yes or no?  The answer is no.

We literally agree, you just won't say it.  You did not like him as a person, that is okay, it happens a lot.

Man, feel like you're taking a very optimistic look back and some revisionist history here.

The other poster outlined bad losses.

How about all of the f'n atrocious losses?  That big 10 title debacle against wisconsin alone and then followed up by that ncaa record breaking performance in 3 quarters was half the nail in the coffin ffor him and his attitude/downward trend was the other half.  

Of course Bo would have had a great record in 2018, but that also means we wouldnt have had the slapdick mike riley and co that greatly played into the past few years of s#!t around here.

Dont get me wrong, Bo was a great coach for us post callahan but it was pretty clear his system and defensive chops werent as strong in the big10 compared to the big12 due to style of play and how he preferred to construct his defense.  In reality, his brother leaving probably marked the start of the decline of the defense

Just because we made a horrendous hire post Bo doesn't mean firing Bo wasn't the right decision then or now.  For what its worth, its not like it was a shock to him, there were rumors for years of him wanting out and being disgruntled with the admin (rightfully so from his perspective).  It was necessary to go separate ways, for both parties, its just a shame that we replaced the guy with an utter f'n disaster of a guy in mike riley

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

It is astounding how far people will go out of their way to avoid giving Pelini any credit.

It is astounding how quickly people play revisionist history and give sympathy to pelini and "regret" the decision to move on simply because eichorst made a blunder of a hire in mike riley.  Newsflash, these two events can be independent of one another yet pockets of this fanbase seem to take the glass half full with the bo firing simply due to their disdain of the train wreck that was mike riley.

Guy should get credit for a solid run and help restoring some pride in the post Billy C years no doubt.

That doesn't mean the same guy shouldn't get some blame for being an uncontrollable hot head who simply couldnt win the games that matter.  

I give the man credit and thank him for his run here but I also wanted a change.  Outside of the husker bubble, the guy was viewed as a f'n laughing stock and not a brand I personally would want associated with the team i follow.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
32 minutes ago, ThroughTheseGates said:

This is a Bo Pelini thread where I responded to a poster who claimed it was the wrong decision to fire him.

Why are you arguing with me about Frost? I never said we’re currently reaching our potential under him. We obviously aren’t, but we should give him a few more years to try.

Just going down the rabbit hole.  You had mentioned Wisky, Illinois, Purdue.....I just pointed out that Frost hasn't done well against them and well Bo did a little better....Bo was 3-1 vs Iowa, 1-2 vs Wisky, 2-0 vs Illinois, 2-2 vs Minnie, 2-1 vs Purdue.  

I guess, Bo being 22-10 in 4 years looks pretty good.....Riley 12-14.....

I mentioned Frost as you had mentioned the ceiling....... 

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

Man, feel like you're taking a very optimistic look back and some revisionist history here.

The other poster outlined bad losses.

How about all of the f'n atrocious losses?  That big 10 title debacle against wisconsin alone and then followed up by that ncaa record breaking performance in 3 quarters was half the nail in the coffin ffor him and his attitude/downward trend was the other half.  

Of course Bo would have had a great record in 2018, but that also means we wouldnt have had the slapdick mike riley and co that greatly played into the past few years of s#!t around here.

Dont get me wrong, Bo was a great coach for us post callahan but it was pretty clear his system and defensive chops werent as strong in the big10 compared to the big12 due to style of play and how he preferred to construct his defense.  In reality, his brother leaving probably marked the start of the decline of the defense

Just because we made a horrendous hire post Bo doesn't mean firing Bo wasn't the right decision then or now.  For what its worth, its not like it was a shock to him, there were rumors for years of him wanting out and being disgruntled with the admin (rightfully so from his perspective).  It was necessary to go separate ways, for both parties, its just a shame that we replaced the guy with an utter f'n disaster of a guy in mike riley

Of course it is optimistic because those seasons were good!

This weird idea of "games that mattered" is how crazy people think about the seasons.  Do you know why there were "games that mattered?"

BECAUSE HE GOT THE TEAM TO THOSE GAMES!

When your team sucks each season there are no big games.

• Plus1 7
13 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Of course it is optimistic because those seasons were good!

This weird idea of "games that mattered" is how crazy people think about the seasons.  Do you know why there were "games that mattered?"

BECAUSE HE GOT THE TEAM TO THOSE GAMES!

When your team sucks each season there are no big games.

I guess your definition of good is vastly different from mine.  Giving up 63 points to ohio state while were ranked int he top 25, isnt good.

Getting to the big10 title game in a weak AF year- and then giving up 70 points to a 7-5 wisconsin team, on a national stage, when we had such an easy path to a massive bowl, isn't good.

Glad you enjoy only beating the teams we're favored yet ok being a national embarrassment on the big stage when every one is watching!  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Ok, cool. So under that scenario, does he magically decide he still wants to be at Nebraska, or does he still look for the first life raft or floating door off the ship?

Then it's much more likely to believe that he would have left with a lotto ticket than still be here. 

What scenario are you offering? If Osborne stays as AD, Pelini would likely stay as HC unless Ohio State came calling. If Osborne were included in picking an AD, Eichorst would have never been hired. Harvey trusted the opinion of Barry Alvarez more than his own staff or Tom Osborne. Harvey's ego has been a major aspect of the downfall of Husker athletics over the past 20 years (thank God for John Cook's resilience).

10 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Bo was a good coach and a great hire. But his firing was absolutely justified as far as I can see it.

We weren't any closer to championships in year seven than we were in year one. At the end of the day his ceiling and floor were cemented with seven years worth of data, which is about as much as you could hope for as far as making a decision whether to move on or not.

For perspective, we played in conference championship games in three of the seven years of his tenure in two different conferences. Did we win? No. But to argue we weren't close? Please stop and take whatever data you're using out to the trash. 

23 hours ago, knapplc said:

There's also a section in there where Compton tells Bo that, because of Bo's meltdowns, players on his team would go into a shell. And Bo agreed, and agreed that that cost us some games.

Bo is/was Bo's worst enemy. He could have been here this whole time, winning nine games a year and becoming the next Tom Osborne if he had just figured out how to keep his cool. 

I mean, I don't think he would have came close to Osborne's success, but I kinda get what you're saying.  And I generally agree with your assessment.  He would have been here a very long time if he didn't get in his own way.

I'm just surprised, bordering on shocked, that he would admit that.  That's actually really mature of him.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I guess your definition of good is vastly different from mine.  Giving up 63 points to ohio state while were ranked int he top 25, isnt good.

Getting to the big10 title game in a weak AF year- and then giving up 70 points to a 7-5 wisconsin team, on a national stage, when we had such an easy path to a massive bowl, isn't good.

Glad you enjoy only beating the teams we're favored yet ok being a national embarrassment on the big stage when every one is watching!  

Yeah, we have the same definition but you are just cherry picking.  

Remember the shutout again Zona, remember beating the s#!t out of back to back top 15 Mizzo and Okie State, remember beating OU at night at home...remember finishing the seasons ranked and either 1/2 in the division.

You don't need to try so hard.

• Plus1 5