Pelini’s interview on The Boys podcast

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, we have the same definition but you are just cherry picking.  

Remember the shutout again Zona, remember beating the s#!t out of back to back top 15 Mizzo and Okie State, remember beating OU at night at home...remember finishing the seasons ranked and either 1/2 in the division.

You don't need to try so hard.

Some Husker fans: "Bo Pelini "topped out" so he should be canned...."

Playing for the conference championship in 3/7 years.  Losing one on a series of clusterf#&%s against Texas and in a position to beat Oklahoma.  Yes, the Wisconsin game was horrible...

Also Husker some fans: "Scott Frost shouldn't be fired because of his potential if he makes a bowl game this year!"

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I guess your definition of good is vastly different from mine.  Giving up 63 points to ohio state while were ranked int he top 25, isnt good.

Getting to the big10 title game in a weak AF year- and then giving up 70 points to a 7-5 wisconsin team, on a national stage, when we had such an easy path to a massive bowl, isn't good.

Glad you enjoy only beating the teams we're favored yet ok being a national embarrassment on the big stage when every one is watching!  

You must really be chomping at the bit for Frost to get canned...

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, lo country said:

I agree with the bolded.  Unfortunately, 3 coaches into the B1G we are still not as successful as Wisky or Iowa or North Western.  We have a winning record against Illinois, losing record to Purdue (under Frost) and Minnie (under Frost)...........There is nothing, but hope, optimism and potential (this the biggest) to think we will improve this year.  We are currently as threatening to the B1G as Rutgers, Purdue and Maryland......That's gotta change.  I'm hoping it starts this year.

Per the bolded:

Since Riley, yes.  But we had a coach that was holding his own in the conference as far as W-L record.  Admin screwed it up in my opinion.  I will forever have the belief that Bo's last couple of "turbulent" years were only that way because the powers that be wouldn't give him the "sincere" vote of confidence he craved and actually deserved.

If Frost can somehow pull off what Pelini did in the next 7 years, he will coach here until he retires or dies.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Per the bolded:

Since Riley, yes.  But we had a coach that was holding his own in the conference as far as W-L record.  Admin screwed it up in my opinion.  I will forever have the belief that Bo's last couple of "turbulent" years were only that way because the powers that be wouldn't give him the "sincere" vote of confidence he craved and actually deserved.

If Frost can somehow pull off what Pelini did in the next 7 years, he will coach here until he retires or dies.

The Admn 100%.  I picked up something Trev said in the presser when he was announced about Frost (paraphrase)  no longer having to do other things, but can focus on football matters. If Moos was AWOL as much as rumored, I can imagine that Frost was pulled administratively in directions that took him away from football matters, was not his strong suit and probably caused some real or perceived stressors he dod not need.  

I also agree that if Frost can do what Bo did ie 9-10 wins, win the division, play for the conference occasionally,  this job is his until he decides to leave.  If he can do that, I see a huge uptick in recruiting.  A lot easier to say we were a game or 2, play or 2 away from winning the conference.  Then currently sitting on 3 losing seasons.  And the recruiting is still very good IMHO despite the W-L record.

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2

Was Bo's recruiting really bad?

I am trying to think of guys he brought in or his staff, I suck at this so correct me if I am wrong.

Lavonte David:  Possibly a top 3 Husker LBer of all time?

Randy G:  I still think the biggest freak I have ever seen at that position in a Husker uniform

Gomes?  Not sure if he was a Pelini recruit

Haag?

Dennard?

Asante:  Dude was good

I can't remember any WR's except Morgan

TEs?  I don't know at all

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Was Bo's recruiting really bad?

I am trying to think of guys he brought in or his staff, I suck at this so correct me if I am wrong.

Lavonte David:  Possibly a top 3 Husker LBer of all time?

Randy G:  I still think the biggest freak I have ever seen at that position in a Husker uniform

Gomes?  Not sure if he was a Pelini recruit

Haag?

Dennard?

Asante:  Dude was good

I can't remember any WR's except Morgan

TEs?  I don't know at all

I don't follow recruiting so I am unsure as to who he actually recruited or the class rankings  I do know Cally had 2 losing and 2 winning seasons.  Bo had 7 winning seasons.  So if Bo did better because of "Cally's recruits" how'd he still win at the rate he did at the latter part of his tenure?  And why did Cally not win more....  I'm guessing that he was able to better develop the kids than Cally was.  I know Ruud commented that BO transformed his game.  SUH?  beast mode.  Converted Baker to DL.....Cody Glen to LB.....SJB to CB....Against OSU......Bo could develop talent IMHO.  As could his staff....Helu, Rex, AA, etc...

IMHO, recruiting is great, BUT Cally recruited well and we didn't see the results on the field.  Development, especially at NU is key.  We will never pull in top 5 classes, multiple 5* kids etc....BUT if we can develop (IMHO like Bo) that is a huge step in the right direction.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, gorp512 said:

He really has grown in some self awareness and professionalism. He is unabashedly himself but doesn't talk himself into a hole. Doesn't say anything bad about the program, either. 

I'd be super chill too, if I got fired by a company, that would then pay me $130,000 a month (direct deposit) for the next 4 years after getting fired.  Like every month for 50 months straight.  I'd say nice things and be super ($6.5 million dollars) happy about them.

And then if I got fired by LSU after one season, and they pay me an extra $4 million to go away (each month until this January), I'd be even more super chill and happy.  Like Bo, I would be self aware and professional, and not say anything bad about the previous programs.  Why would I, when they pay me super good when I'm long gone. 

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

cringe....: yeah, that was 2009 ISU'esque...

That's the thing there were games where mentally we sh1t the bed and it was so frustrating. I'm glad Bo realizes that he would hurt the team with his antics and how he handled situations but tbh it doesn't do anyone much good realizing now. If he could of understood it earlier in his career here I would love to see the results. Also give Henery a try at that damn field goal in 2010!

23 hours ago, teachercd said:

Of course it is optimistic because those seasons were good!

This weird idea of "games that mattered" is how crazy people think about the seasons.  Do you know why there were "games that mattered?"

BECAUSE HE GOT THE TEAM TO THOSE GAMES!

When your team sucks each season there are no big games.

End thread this is the most correct take. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1