What Is Nebraska's Offensive Identity? -- New Husker Newsletter

J-MAGIC

Hey everyone,

I'm starting a new Husker newsletter breaking down scheme and analytics and thought some people here might be interested in reading the latest post, "What is Nebraska's Offensive Identity?" Link below:

https://black41flashreverse.substack.com/p/what-is-nebraskas-offensive-identity

I had previously mentioned in some other threads that I was revisiting our games and some of the personnel/tight ends stuff I had found, and people seemed interested, so I thought I'd share the post explaining overall what I discovered. That our tight end usage was that heavy -- basically heavier than any team I could find data for -- and the diversity of stuff Nebraska is running was pretty wild. 

Also, if you enjoyed reading and want more stuff like this, sign up for the free newsletter! All of the posts will be delivered to your e-mail inbox. The plan is to have weekly posts breaking down each game in the same way I did these and a weekly opponent preview, plus some other stuff mixed in when I feel it's necessary. And please share with anyone who might be interested in Husker football or scheme!

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to reading your substack piece, @J-MAGIC.

Just a quick comment: Three tangible things I believe we are completely capable of heading into this season on offense:

1. Significantly diminish fumbles.

2. Make field goals from 30 yards or less.

3. Provide great pass protection on third down passing scenarios.

Big improvement in the "points scored per yard gained" category over the last two seasons if we could do those three things better this year.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU needs to run the ball more effectively with the I-Backs to put fewer carries on Martinez, but the thought of NU not being a good rushing team is false (as pointed out numerous times by Mav).

QB draw seems like the only play we've been able to consistently rely on for a while, hopefully that changes.

• Plus1 1

Offense identity is fine, because the data proves we move the ball and gain a lot of yards per game.  Just need to cut down on penalties and fumbles (recovered or not) or sacks that back us up.  Would help if a few drives per game are converted into touchdowns over FG tries.  

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Farms said:

QB draw seems like the only play we've been able to consistently rely on for a while, hopefully that changes.

On the one hand it kind of speaks to good play calling and also good blocking. The biggest problem with it is just injury risk to Martinez.

Not referring to you at all but it's ironic when lifelong Husker fans diss on a tough Husker QB that racks up lots of running yards.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Looking forward to reading your substack piece, @J-MAGIC.

Just a quick comment: Three tangible things I believe we are completely capable of heading into this season on offense:

1. Significantly diminish fumbles.

2. Make field goals from 30 yards or less.

3. Provide great pass protection on third down passing scenarios.

Big improvement in the "points scored per yard gained" category over the last two seasons if we could do those three things better this year.

Just those 3 things would make a huge difference

34 minutes ago, Undone said:

On the one hand it kind of speaks to goo play calling and also good blocking. The biggest problem with it is just injury risk to Martinez.

Not referring to you at all but it's ironic when lifelong Husker fans diss on a tough Husker QB that racks up lots of running yards.

Yes sir and I'm not dissing on it other than I think we've relied on it way too heavily due to lack of success with anything else.  A.) Like you said, huge injury risk and if Martinez goes in I"m not confident we can have the same season with our number 2 right now.  B.) Martinez has put the ground on the ball quite a bit and that's not a even a knock on him.  Running the QB that much you're more likely to fumble. 

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yes sir and I'm not dissing on it other than I think we've relied on it way too heavily due to lack of success with anything else.  A.) Like you said, huge injury risk and if Martinez goes in I"m not confident we can have the same season with our number 2 right now.  B.) Martinez has put the ground on the ball quite a bit and that's not a even a knock on him.  Running the QB that much you're more likely to fumble. 

Quarterback run game is probably the best thing the offense was doing last season and Frost is really good at scheming it up so I don't think we should be trying to get rid of it. But you're right on both points. We've got to find a good non-QB running game so that those Martinez designed carries are happening 5-10 times a game and not 15-20. It needs to be the off-speed pitch and not the fastball. 

• Plus1 4