Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

The more I think about this, the less I care about the actual "scandal" here. Like, last year I know for a fact that USF invited boosters to check out “backyard pickup football” after the lockdown. There were even invited via email. Everyone was doing stuff like this to keep their program field ready. So dumb.

Our program sucking bothers me more.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

I tend to agree that this is a practice that is likely used by every other major FBS program in the country.  That said, it is embarrassing to stretch the rules to one's advantage only to still lose 20 games in 3 seasons.  

Separately, I think this investigation affirms what we already knew; that NU is truly a bottom-feeder among FBS programs.  Investigations such as these, despite the strength of evidence, very rarely get launched against top programs.  Issues such as these are handled "administratively" and without consequence.  For all its' faults, the NCAA recognizes who butters their bread (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, etc.). 

This kind of investigation is always launched against lower tier programs for two reasons; 1.) to demonstrate that the NCAA still possesses some enforcement authority and 2.) to deter other lower tier programs (most FBS schools) from committing the same violation and thus, keep them in line. 

Sanctioning NU will have very little consequence for the NCAA and Big Ten given the state of our program today.

1 hour ago, Saunders said:

This is all the ncaa is investigating on the huskers football program.  Minor violations imo.

NCAA rules allow analysts to speak to assistants and the head coach, but analysts may not have direct contact with the players. This includes practices, film room hours and during games.

The school has significant video footage documenting the impermissible use of analysts and consultants while assistant coaches and Frost were on the field or on the sideline, sources said.

Nebraska’s alleged unauthorized off-campus organized workouts under the direction of the strength and conditioning staff.

39 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

I stopped listening to RZ a looong time ago.  

As you should. 

@BigRedBuster my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. Just in general, we treat them as amateurs who can enjoy college life or we treat them as professionals who get a share of the revenue pie.

I'm fine if they workout as much as the coaches want, but that same coach better be willing to give up a share of his inflated salary to do so. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Just now, Dr. Strangelove said:

As you should. 

@BigRedBuster my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. Just in general, we treat them as amateurs who can enjoy college life or we treat them as professionals who get a share of the revenue pie.

I'm fine if they workout as much as the coaches want, but that same coach better be willing to give up a share of his inflated salary to do so. 

And, my comment showed the hypocrisy in the rule.  Basketball and volleyball can work out with coaches in the off season.  Why not football...especially something that's probably non contact like special teams?

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Exactly.  Maybe he was there to offer support.  Or maybe something unrelated entirely.   

Ya let's not act like Ronnie is just finding out about this today. I believe they said Nebraska is self reporting to the NCAA and I am sure this has been in the works for a while. It just got leaked to the media today and we're still in off season mode so the local guys are running with it. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, my comment showed the hypocrisy in the rule.  Basketball and volleyball can work out with coaches in the off season.  Why not football...especially something that's probably non contact like special teams?

I think the overwhelming physical nature of football sets it apart from the other two sports. 

For the record, I'm in favor of all student athletes getting a piece of that revenue pie.

Back to the thread, the worst part about all this is the public perception of the football program. They can't get out of their own way. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I read a comment that last month from a respected source to the effect that there was something brewing and if it came out it would be pretty major and damaging to the program. At the time I was unable to find out what that might be but I guessing this was what the source was referring to.

A dead program cannot be damaged.  All this can do is change some of the staff again