Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

3 hours ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Bill Moos allowed a story to be published - on the condition that he's retired - that throws Frost under the bus. Accusations that Frost denied today.

They're publicly blaming each other. This is a bad look. There is no way to spin this as a positive, although the effort to do so is admirable. 

It's not a good look, but "Moos told The World-Herald that he strongly advised Frost not to pursue any scheduling option that did not include the Sept. 18 Oklahoma game" and Frost wanting to create "momentum" makes it sound more like Frost just really wanted an easier early season game. Maybe he specifically wanted Oklahoma off the schedule, maybe he just wanted a cupcake early season game and didn't care whether it fit in week 1 or replaced Oklahoma. I didn't find Moos' comments very enlightening, at least the article I saw from OWH doesn't say anything about Frost being set on removing Oklahoma. Feels to me like both were involved in brainstorming sessions that included the option to replace Oklahoma - Frost was fine with that, Moos (rightly) was not. Maybe I'm naïve.

The "haven't made one phone call" comment was hilarious though, that's denying one very specific way he could be involved in scheduling. It's not a good denial. But I'm not really sure why it's being brought up again other than to make sure people remember it when we start actually playing.

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's not a good look, but "Moos told The World-Herald that he strongly advised Frost not to pursue any scheduling option that did not include the Sept. 18 Oklahoma game" and Frost wanting to create "momentum" makes it sound more like Frost just really wanted an easier early season game. Maybe he specifically wanted Oklahoma off the schedule, maybe he just wanted a cupcake early season game and didn't care whether it fit in week 1 or replaced Oklahoma. 

This is exactly the problem. Frost publicly said they'd play anybody anywhere and used the "soft" culture of his predecessor as an excuse for his failures during his first few seasons.

You can't simultaneously say these things and want to not play a tough opponent because you have no faith in your teams ability to win the game. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

The timing of The Action Network report, the relatively "light" nature of the allegations, the dredging up of the Oklahoma scheduling matter (in the same report) ... it all feels a little too orchestrated for my liking. It all feels a little like, well, someone operating from inside the walls of North Stadium might want Frost jettisoned. Excuse me for being a bit of conspiracy theorist here. But c'mon, amigos, we've experienced it before at dear ol' NU. 

Granted, many intelligent people can glance at this news, perhaps chuckle and move on with their lives. But you know who can't do that? Frost can't do that. He said his team wouldn't be distracted going forward. But will Frost be distracted? My guess is yes. Maybe that's what someone wanted. After all, Nebraska's had a quiet preseason camp. It seemed to be building legitimate momentum toward the Aug. 28 opener. There's been a quiet confidence among players. Maybe the operation will proceed uninterrupted. But you wonder.  

https://huskerextra.com/commentary/sipple/steven-m-sipple-although-ncaa-matter-is-relatively-light-more-drama-is-bad-look-for/article_74c49008-5421-5143-a457-bfb35dfe0301.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

..maybe he just wanted a cupcake early season game and didn't care whether it fit in week 1 or replaced Oklahoma...

He's lost or barely won too many "cupcake" games for that to make much sense beyond just scared of the Sooners.  And not mindful of the huge fan interest.  Shame on him but not that much shame.  ;)

6 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

I can’t see Moos being the accuser here.  I could see a disgruntled former player and/or his family though…., but at this point anything is just wild speculation. 

Say BTW, didn't we have a certain QB leave the team, go to L-ville and ended up in a Rice bowl?  Seems the family was a bit ticked at Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Frost is not going to be fired because of this. 

I don't think the problem is the allegations themselves. 

My issue is the amateurish nature of our athletic department. They lack any sort of professionalism and it's a big reason - including a complete lack of success on the field - why Nebraska is quickly becoming a joke in college football. 

Bill Moos retiring without being aware of it? Not professional. Grow some halls, fire the guy, and move on. 

We'll play anybody, including in Kazakhstan? Then don't try to skip playing Oklahoma because you don't have the coaching ability to make the game competitive. Also the pointing of the finger - was it Frost or Moos who started it? - is not professional. 

Constantly using the previous staff as an excuse? Not professional. Scott's team got pushed around plenty last season, including being blown out by and Illinois team that fired their coach. Frosts team is just as soft as Mike Riley's. 

The list goes on. Firing up Indiana by saying you wished you played them more instead of Ohio State (and losing to them), complaining about Iowa clapping, etc. The Athletic Department has been plauged by clowns for a long time now, and Scott Frost is leading the show. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1