Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

Well with all due respect to Urban Meyer -- who admits Solich was a good friend -- Nebraska's expectation level is similar to pretty much every college football program that has tasted success and wants it to continue. 

Coaches like Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn at Auburn, Les Miles at LSU, Mack Brown ad Tom Herman at Texas, Larry Coker at Miami, Phil Fulmer at Tennessee, and Mark Richt at Georgia all had Solich-like success -- or better -- and got fired or forced to resign. We don't always know what went on behind the scenes (yeah, Solich had some issues) but those universities were able to hire generally well-regarded successors who clearly accepted the mandate to do better. 

For that matter, Meyer and Jim Tressel's predecessor at Ohio State, John Cooper, went 111-43, but got fired for going 8-4 in 2000 at a school where nothing mattered if you didn't beat Michigan. Meanwhile, the coach everyone wanted in 2015, Jim Harbaugh, is on a very hot seat because the only thing that matters at Michigan is beating Ohio State.

The only option for Nebraska fans, the one we hate hearing the national pundits talk about, is to accept that we simply aren't relevant anymore and should consider 9 wins, zero conference championships and lower tier bowls the ceiling for our expectations. 

Winning cures everything. Even a highly competitive and exciting season would cure a lot. But if that doesn't happen, we move on, like every team would. 

• Plus1 5

14 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well with all due respect to Urban Meyer -- who admits Solich was a good friend -- Nebraska's expectation level is similar to pretty much every college football program that has tasted success and wants it to continue. 

Coaches like Gene Chizik and Gus Malzahn at Auburn, Les Miles at LSU, Mack Brown ad Tom Herman at Texas, Larry Coker at Miami, Phil Fulmer at Tennessee, and Mark Richt at Georgia all had Solich-like success -- or better -- and got fired or forced to resign. We don't always know what went on behind the scenes (yeah, Solich had some issues) but those universities were able to hire generally well-regarded successors who clearly accepted the mandate to do better. 

For that matter, Meyer and Jim Tressel's predecessor at Ohio State, John Cooper, went 111-43, but got fired for going 8-4 in 2000 at a school where nothing mattered if you didn't beat Michigan. Meanwhile, the coach everyone wanted in 2015, Jim Harbaugh, is on a very hot seat because the only thing that matters at Michigan is beating Ohio State.

The only option for Nebraska fans, the one we hate hearing the national pundits talk about, is to accept that we simply aren't relevant anymore and should consider 9 wins, zero conference championships and lower tier bowls the ceiling for our expectations. 

Winning cures everything. Even a highly competitive and exciting season would cure a lot. But if that doesn't happen, we move on, like every team would. 

Cooper was fired because he couldn't beat Michigan pain and simple. OSU had too much talent during the Cooper years to keep on losing to Michigan. If Cooper would have won half his games vs Michigan he would have been viewed very differently. Nobody cares if you beat up on Indiana and have a 2-10-1 record vs Michigan and 3-8 bowl record. Meyer and Tressel beat Michigan at everything and each won a NC. I think their careers at OSU would be looked at very differently if they didn't maintain their success against Michigan and didn't win NCs.

Harbaugh can't beat OSU and has problems against their other rivals in Michigan State and ND. It is very easy to make a case to remove Cooper and Harbaugh. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:
Not exactly similar as the primary violation for A& M was the coach had impermissible contact with an prospect during an evaluation period. 

If the only violation in play is 'analysts coaching players' then pretty much every top program is guilty.  It sounds generic like a MeeToo violation that was only 'inappropriate comments.'

I can't find the link but AJ Mccarron said something after the Miami Meltdown of 2013 that went: I spent many hours working with them [Bama analysts] and we figured out exactly what ND was trying to do in every situation.  They actually do a few simple things but do them very well. 

It's a really weak complaint along with the Tide players who were 10 years ahead in NIL payments.  But I think you get the point.  It's a ticky tacky rule that gets talked up when people are discontent. 

• Plus1 1
22 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I get what your saying, but I’ve wondered about how the auxiliary people continue to make money off a program that’s not very much fun or rewarding anymore. 

So I guess my point is in absence of winning, interest has to be maintained in whatever way possible. A scandal or coaching changes keep us around- for awhile. 

I bet no no one is praying harder for a winning season than the 1620 guys. 

Actually 1620 bosses would prefer mayhem... I know that because the program director flat out told me that when I worked there for a couple years. He wasnt a Husker fan and he said them losing equaled a ton more callers/more anger and more people listening in to hear why they sucked.

I think the "talent" wants them to do well because it does get exhausting talking about negativity.. but in terms of "clicks" and interaction- things like the frost scandal are great for them.

So I guess I will backoff some of my stance of the local media wants them to do well when it comes to the leadership and those that track views/clicks/downloads.

I do think most of the actual media want them to do well tho

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Actually 1620 bosses would prefer mayhem... I know that because the program director flat out told me that when I worked there for a couple years. He wasnt a Husker fan and he said them losing equaled a ton more callers/more anger and more people listening in to hear why they sucked.

I think the "talent" wants them to do well because it does get exhausting talking about negativity.. but in terms of "clicks" and interaction- things like the frost scandal are great for them.

So I guess I will backoff some of my stance of the local media wants them to do well when it comes to the leadership and those that track views/clicks/downloads.

I think you're right, but I also don't think Bama, Clempson, tOSU, etc. have any problems finding clicks and callers 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

The Urban quote referenced by knapplc is something to think about for sure. It's not about why you fire a coach as much as it is about how you do the firing and what you do next.

For the health of the program, you should fire a coach when there is definite cause to do so. And you should have a plan as to where you are going to go and who you are going to hire next before you pull the trigger (at least in most cases, unless your coach is Jerry Sandusky or something like that).

When Frank was fired, the thing happened because of where the program might be going, to mediocracy, instead of what was  happening, nine win seasons. Those 9 and 10 win seasons aren't all bad. And then we didn't even have an idea of where we were going next. Bad move on both.

When T.O. took over, Bill was done. And the team gave up because everyone knew it. Not ideal. He wasn't the greatest coach, but he was put in an almost impossible situation when T.O. walked in as AD.

When Bo got the gate, we are pretty sure it was because SE didn't like him, and not because of what was going on in terms of wins and losses. Maybe the sideline Bo was the sticking point for SE, but he fired a winning coach and then didn't have a plan to move forward at all.

Mike Riley, like Bo, was a dead man walking as soon as Moos was hired. The writing was on the wall there. Not ideal. Hard to coach and get wins when the program is pretty much decided you are gone just a few games into the season.

Now Scott. In many cases, he would already be gone. Two years, Nine wins. And this was after we were told that we wanted  a program where nine wins in a single year would not be good enough to some folks. And so you try to take his money on the way out. That's worse that Frank. Worse than Bill. Worse than Bo. Worse than Mike.

All those guys were supposed to be not good enough, but at least the program paid their salary on the way out. 

A risk is undertaken with these things. You hire a guy who you think will succeed. He might. He might not. But it's a gamble. An educated gamble in a lot of cases, but still a gamble.

if Scott doesn't start winning and gets the door, he should get the money he was contracted to receive. Pulling some bull behind the scenes is just rotten. And if guys like Urban were turned off by the nine win thing, they'll definitely be turned off by this thing.

I agree and said similar the other day. People think we have a black eye from Frank just wait til we leaked some BS violation to fire for cause if the season goes south to not pay the guy.  We keep a 12-20 coach going into year 4, IMHO just ride or die with the guy and fire him at the end of the contract.  NO ONE would second guess that if we have another few losing seasons. 

19 hours ago, Mavric said:

Other than the two-game suspension, fairly benign.

Though a two-game suspension in football would be harsher than in basketball, due to the shorter schedule.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

How long ago, and who was the program director?

19 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

You have a unique perspective given your experience.  I agree 1000%, they want good things to happen. We’re going into decades of coaching/admin changes, ncaa changes, Covid.  It’s been all negative. Whomever comes up with their daily topics must be scratching their heads to find something positive to talk about. I started listening again this week and noticed all three shows are spending more time on highschool, other conferences, mlb and other sports. So good for them, got to fill those hours. But I’m not really interested in that. 

On 8/20/2021 at 3:20 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

I think this is 100% spot on. Just listen to "Big Red Over-Reaction" after a terrible loss or when a season is going really badly. The lines are full with people wanting vent their frustrations. Same for their weekday shows.

26 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I think this is 100% spot on. Just listen to "Big Red Over-Reaction" after a terrible loss or when a season is going really badly. The lines are full with people wanting vent their frustrations. Same for their weekday shows.

Same way here on HB. Many have been venting their frustrations for well over a year now and are stepping up their game leading into this season. Unfortunately the pissing and moaning isn’t reserved for only after bad losses. I’ve never listened to Big Red Over Reaction but even the name indicates it’s nothing more than a big pity party catering to the lowest element. 

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1