Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

On 8/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

Actually 1620 bosses would prefer mayhem... I know that because the program director flat out told me that when I worked there for a couple years. He wasnt a Husker fan and he said them losing equaled a ton more callers/more anger and more people listening in to hear why they sucked.

5 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I think this is 100% spot on. Just listen to "Big Red Over-Reaction" after a terrible loss or when a season is going really badly. The lines are full with people wanting vent their frustrations. Same for their weekday shows.

While there's certainly truth to this, there is a point of diminishing returns. Routine losses and bad seasons will eventually shift the ballast from fan engagement towards fan apathy. Apathy is a program dagger and ultimately hurts radio, TV and online content producer pageviews/ratings.

At the moment, the ballast has absolutely shifted towards the latter based on the pockets of Nebraska sports media I still have a pulse on. Reader/fan engagement has not been what it was in comparison to the first couple Frost seasons. I've heard rumblings of similar things from people knowledgeable of the local TV/radio ratings, as well.

Eventually, people will stop caring if you suck long enough.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

While there's certainly truth to this, there is a point of diminishing returns. Routine losses and bad seasons will eventually shift the ballast from fan engagement towards fan apathy. Apathy is a program dagger and ultimately hurts radio, TV and online content producer pageviews/ratings.

At the moment, the ballast has absolutely shifted towards the latter based on the pockets of Nebraska sports media I still have a pulse on. Reader/fan engagement has not been what it was in comparison to the first couple Frost seasons. I've heard rumblings of similar things from people knowledgeable of the local TV/radio ratings, as well.

Eventually, people will stop caring if you suck long enough.

Nothing like winning to pay the bills- radio, TV, and within the athletic dept.  We cannot become another Minnesota. 

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Nothing like winning to pay the bills- radio, TV, and within the athletic dept.  We cannot become another Minnesota. 

100%. Anecdotally, I haven't listened to 1620 since last year, don't read a lot of Husker content anymore, only casually engage here in the football forum and am planning to work on other things next weekend with the game on in the background. Last year, I barely watched any of the last few games of the season. And I know a lot of people who are in a similar boat. I watch more F1 now than I do Husker football. Winning will change a ton of that.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
21 minutes ago, Enhance said:

100%. Anecdotally, I haven't listened to 1620 since last year, don't read a lot of Husker content anymore, only casually engage here in the football forum and am planning to work on other things next weekend with the game on in the background. Last year, I barely watched any of the last few games of the season. And I know a lot of people who are in a similar boat. I watch more F1 now than I do Husker football. Winning will change a ton of that.

How old are you?

7 hours ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

I think this is 100% spot on. Just listen to "Big Red Over-Reaction" after a terrible loss or when a season is going really badly. The lines are full with people wanting vent their frustrations. Same for their weekday shows.

There are two types of losses. I can’t imagine callers waiting to get in cue for a blowout loss anymore. Unless it’s the Oklahoma game. Then lots of crying about the demise of our program. And didn’t BROR reduce their after game hours or is it still four? 

Frost has had some close losses that generated some pretty intense emotions. Speaking only for myself, I don’t see caring that much about a close loss unless it’s Oklahoma or Ohio State. And i better see something good next Saturday or I might just be done. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

There are two types of losses. I can’t imagine callers waiting to get in cue for a blowout loss anymore. Unless it’s the Oklahoma game. Then lots of crying about the demise of our program. And didn’t BROR reduce their after game hours or is it still four? 

Frost has had some close losses that generated some pretty intense emotions. Speaking only for myself, I don’t see caring that much about a close loss unless it’s Oklahoma or Ohio State. And i better see something good next Saturday or I might just be done. 

It cracks me up how many people have claimed they'll be done over the past 20 seasons..  ...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I think you have to take the idea of being "done" in stride. It's often hyperbole. Most people who suggest being "done" are more or less suggesting an end to their current financial and emotional investment i.e. done buying tickets, done buying gear, done donating, done scheduling time to watch games, etc. Most of us will never extricate the Huskers from our fandom codices, but we may end a lot of practices generally associated with being a fan.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
On 8/20/2021 at 4:20 PM, Minnesota_husker said:

Actually 1620 bosses would prefer mayhem... I know that because the program director flat out told me that when I worked there for a couple years. He wasnt a Husker fan and he said them losing equaled a ton more callers/more anger and more people listening in to hear why they sucked.

I think the "talent" wants them to do well because it does get exhausting talking about negativity.. but in terms of "clicks" and interaction- things like the frost scandal are great for them.

So I guess I will backoff some of my stance of the local media wants them to do well when it comes to the leadership and those that track views/clicks/downloads.

I do think most of the actual media want them to do well tho

That's interesting. I usually listen to all of the podcasts of the 1620 main three shows, but most of the time when Nebraska loses I avoid them all for the first few days of the week. Mainly just to avoid the negativity and rehashing of Nebraska's shortcomings.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I think you have to take the idea of being "done" in stride. It's often hyperbole. Most people who suggest being "done" are more or less suggesting an end to their current financial and emotional investment i.e. done buying tickets, done buying gear, done donating, done scheduling time to watch games, etc. Most of us will never extricate the Huskers from our fandom codices, but we may end a lot of practices generally associated with being a fan.

I would argue for most it is only temporary though.  Once the team is winning and exciting to watch, most will be back in 100%.  

1 hour ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

That's interesting. I usually listen to all of the podcasts of the 1620 main three shows, but most of the time when Nebraska loses I avoid them all for the first few days of the week. Mainly just to avoid the negativity and rehashing of Nebraska's shortcomings.

I do the same with this board at times...

• Thanks 3
45 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I would argue for most it is only temporary though.  Once the team is winning and exciting to watch, most will be back in 100%.  

"Most" never leave.....they just day they are done every couple of weeks or so.

Some do become less vested temporarily......I did when Riley was coach...but I knew his tenure would be short 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 hours ago, TheSker said:

It cracks me up how many people have claimed they'll be done over the past 20 seasons..  ...

Guess it’s different for everyone. For me it means canceling my trip to the Oklahoma and Iowa games.  And it’s not like it’s a line in the sand. I’ve been fading away for a few years. 

maybe you don’t have any replacement options for your free time, but I do. 

13 minutes ago, TheSker said:

"Most" never leave.....they just day they are done every couple of weeks or so.

Some do become less vested temporarily......I did when Riley was coach...but I knew his tenure would be short 

Where’s your data on this?  

Id be interested in know about this board’s membership. The amount of active posters seems to be dwindling.