Nebraska & Coach Frost under NCAA investigation

28 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Guess it’s different for everyone. For me it means canceling my trip to the Oklahoma and Iowa games.  And it’s not like it’s a line in the sand. I’ve been fading away for a few years. 

maybe you don’t have any replacement options for your free time, but I do. 

There will be others to take your ticket.

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

While there's certainly truth to this, there is a point of diminishing returns. Routine losses and bad seasons will eventually shift the ballast from fan engagement towards fan apathy. Apathy is a program dagger and ultimately hurts radio, TV and online content producer pageviews/ratings.

At the moment, the ballast has absolutely shifted towards the latter based on the pockets of Nebraska sports media I still have a pulse on. Reader/fan engagement has not been what it was in comparison to the first couple Frost seasons. I've heard rumblings of similar things from people knowledgeable of the local TV/radio ratings, as well.

Eventually, people will stop caring if you suck long enough.

Great points. I know I'm not nearly as engaged as I used to be. You can only be beat down so much until you start to lose the fire.

Eventually you end up with a program like Minnesota who was quite strong in the mid 20th century until things went to hell and then suffered through several decades of pathetic football until very recently.

This is what makes this year so interesting to me. IMHO, this is the most important year for Husker football in my lifetime which goes back a long way. A strong season, like 8-4, could go a long way in re-energizing the fanbase and boosting recruiting. Another sub .500 year and I'm afraid of what could happen.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

7 hours ago, Enhance said:

100%. Anecdotally, I haven't listened to 1620 since last year, don't read a lot of Husker content anymore, only casually engage here in the football forum and am planning to work on other things next weekend with the game on in the background. Last year, I barely watched any of the last few games of the season. And I know a lot of people who are in a similar boat. I watch more F1 now than I do Husker football. Winning will change a ton of that.

I kept up sparingly towards the end of last season. Still haven't watched the Rutgers game, or the Spring Game. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I kept up sparingly towards the end of last season. Still haven't watched the Rutgers game, or the Spring Game. 

The Rutgers game was actually a pretty fun game to watch.  If you can look past the mistakes, there was a lot of good to see.

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, internetman said:

Some people act like nothing has changed..... You can literally get a ticket 10 mins before the game for $10.

Could you do that in the 80's, 90's or 00's? This is an honest question. I was not here then

Yes.

I don't remember very many games (maybe OU games) where I couldn't find a reasonable priced ticket somewhere and many times I would go to games and wait outside up till right before kickoff.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.

I don't remember very many games (maybe OU games) where I couldn't find a reasonable priced ticket somewhere and many times I would go to games and wait outside up till right before kickoff.

And that was with 20,000 less seats to fill

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Enhance said:

While there's certainly truth to this, there is a point of diminishing returns. Routine losses and bad seasons will eventually shift the ballast from fan engagement towards fan apathy. Apathy is a program dagger and ultimately hurts radio, TV and online content producer pageviews/ratings.

At the moment, the ballast has absolutely shifted towards the latter based on the pockets of Nebraska sports media I still have a pulse on. Reader/fan engagement has not been what it was in comparison to the first couple Frost seasons. I've heard rumblings of similar things from people knowledgeable of the local TV/radio ratings, as well.

Eventually, people will stop caring if you suck long enough.

Ya. I think I should fix what I said to say this was during the Bo era. They had success but couldnt get over the hump. I think the MR era changed more to apathy which doesnt help with views/clicks.

You are 100% correct that enough bad seasons and you will start to lose people. Bo was great for ratings. 

21 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

2012 I think. And that was Neil Nelkin. He has since retired.

He is a great guy . He was just honest that the station got more clicks when they did poorly... Well, there is a line. I think Riley created Apathy. He was more saying that during the Bo days. 

That I can see; 1620 was much more vitriolic towards Bo than they were towards Riley or Frost (until this point). 

I don't necessarily buy the "hoping the team is awful" trend, mostly because 4 out of the 5 hosts during the day are alums, and have professed to being fans at one time or another. 

• Plus1 1