Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

1 hour ago, GSG said:

Hate to say it, not a bad write up.  They score 40, we are in for a losing season. No way around it.  NU needs to show day 1 week 1 that they are a new team. One capable of winning convincingly and playing football for 4 quarters of complete football. In one game.  Not over 5-6 weeks.......

• Plus1 3
8 hours ago, The Dude said:

Why is Frosty so salty?  That presser was awkward as hell.

I really thought so also. It seemed like he was purposely not giving them anything of substance. He answered the questions but really didn’t. It was as if he was pissed at the media guys and blaming them for a lot of the superfluous distractions. Maybe somewhat well founded. But IDGAF if they have anything to write or not, nor do I care about a depth chart or his demeanor. As long as he finally has the team ready to play and not self destruct, he can be as short and surly in pressers as he wants to be. His future fully depends on winning and playing well. That’s all that matters now.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

8 hours ago, lo country said:

Hate to say it, not a bad write up.  They score 40, we are in for a losing season. No way around it.  NU needs to show day 1 week 1 that they are a new team. One capable of winning convincingly and playing football for 4 quarters of complete football. In one game.  Not over 5-6 weeks.......

If you think this is going to be a perfect game where everyone looks like they are in midseason form, you are going to be disappointed.

This is the first game of the year against a team with new systems and nobody knows what they are going to do.  So, there will be mistakes on both teams.  It will look like a typical first game.

But, that doesn't mean we still can't win by 10+ points.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

^ This. I'd be more surprised if we don't have any stupid procedural penalties (false start, illegal formation, ineligible man downfield, etc.) this week. It's week 0.

But Illinois is an awful team that's trying to learn new systems on both sides of the ball. Bort might prove to be a pretty good hire in the long-run, but this ain't an Alvarez team he's taking over - it ain't happening in his first game at Illinois.

• Plus1 1
28 minutes ago, Toe said:

^ This. I'd be more surprised if we don't have any stupid procedural penalties (false start, illegal formation, ineligible man downfield, etc.) this week. It's week 0.

But Illinois is an awful team that's trying to learn new systems on both sides of the ball. Bort might prove to be a pretty good hire in the long-run, but this ain't an Alvarez team he's taking over - it ain't happening in his first game at Illinois.

Bert gained his reputation because he took over a good team from Alvarez.  I still don't see why people are so confident he's going to be more successful at Illinois as he was at Arkansas.  He finished with a 29-34 record there.  His first season there he had 3 wins.

To me, the biggest wild card in this is that this is his first game and he's probably going to throw some wrinkles in to try to pull out an upset.  Hopefully our team is experienced enough and more talented enough to counter all of those.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Bert gained his reputation because he took over a good team from Alvarez.  I still don't see why people are so confident he's going to be more successful at Illinois as he was at Arkansas.  He finished with a 29-34 record there.  His first season there he had 3 wins.

I think it's more telling that they only had 4 his last season, they were not great when he took over. 2 years removed from being very good, but the Petrino scandals and year of John Smith had them in a pretty bad spot. He made some progress, then floundered. I think he's a good coach because bad coaches can ruin good situations, and he kept it going at Wisconsin. But probably overrated a bit by our fanbase, particularly considering we should probably give more credit to the OCs for our Bielema era defeats, Chryst and Canada.

• Plus1 1