Illinois Week Pressers

Mavric

10 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

I think vaccination rates of the team is pertinent considering the announcement today from the B1G that teams unable to compete due to COVID will forfeit the game. 

Again, these are not gotcha questions being asked. They're being asked to every coach in the country.

Our vaccination rate last year was 0% and we had zero postponed games due to problems at Nebraska.  Scott has openly acknowledged that the team has used different means to encourage everyone to vaccinate.  He has publicly stated that vaccinations are their best chance for a smooth season.  He has done his part.  He wants to focus on football, answer questions about football, and go on about his job. 

Any fans that want to focus on this have their priorities in the wrong place imo.      

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

No surprise from Mitch Sherman, but he said something about it could be "something or nothing." Sam said it was "brisk and blunt." I saw someone else say something about it being a "frosty" interview. Then the comments one everything are full of people fighting about what it means. All the comments from media I have seen make it into more of something than I thought it was. People being mad and fighting is just referring to random internet fans. 

Mitch has really sunk pretty low in my opinion over the past few months, but that's a pretty innocuous comment from Sam. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Mitch has really sunk pretty low in my opinion over the past few months, but that's a pretty innocuous comment from Sam. 

That's fair I probably read too much into it. Honestly, watching the whole thing though Frost seems fine and focused until they get to the covid testing/vaccination stuff and they kept pestering him after he said he thinks it's private for the kids. That's where he seems to get irritated and then cut it off quickly after that. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

At the beginning he seemed more antsy than pissed off, and clearly went in with the plan of directing all questions to Saturday. Frustrating for the media guys since he's clearly trying to not answer anything, frustrating for Frost because I think he had answered every single one of the questions before. Totally fair to ask him the vaccine questions, but it's a dumb line of questioning - he's not going to be pushed into answering something he wasn't going to answer in the first place. I'd appreciate more candor and everything, but I don't really care if they play well.

People had me a little worried because we've seen pressers before where he's clearly pissed from the start and then it comes out later that the team had been practicing like crap all week. I don't get that vibe here - he went in guarded, didn't get any new questions until the stuff about vaccines, and got pushed on answering it when he didn't want to. There are much more professional ways to handle it, but it's not like he came out looking to take shots at the media.

• Plus1 1

Eh, if you listen to the actual conference, Frost's first response to the vaccination question was "it's personal for the kids".  He was asked another question about testing and he answered that there would be weekly testing for non-vaccinated.  He was then asked roughly the same question 3-4 times which finally led to the "if I wanted to tell you, I would" answer. 

So they were not really taking the hint that he wasn't going to get into any farther.  Which is probably the same reason why he won't talk about it overall.  All it would lead to is everyone trying to find out who isn't vaccinated yet.

• Plus1 8
14 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

No surprise from Mitch Sherman, but he said something about it could be "something or nothing." Sam said it was "brisk and blunt." I saw someone else say something about it being a "frosty" interview. Then the comments one everything are full of people fighting about what it means. All the comments from media I have seen make it into more of something than I thought it was. People being mad and fighting is just referring to random internet fans. 

Brisk and blunt Frost is my favorite Frost. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I do have to say, "If I wanted to tell you, I would" is a pretty childish answer. But part of me really loves it.

I think it could be "childish"....until you hear Sam's question, which was "Do you want to tell us?"  At that point, I think he deserved that answer.

Full disclosure, I like most of Sam's questions/interviews and I think he tends to get coaches to give a little additional info on occasion.  But, he also gets into the "cringe-worthy" line of questioning (for me) at times.  To that end, I'm kinda surprised he doesn't get answers like this more often.

• Plus1 3

Probably reading into it. But a few times he said "I look forward to watching them play on Saturday." If the NCAA investigation has wrapped, maybe he just found out he is suspended for Saturdays game. Pure speculation but might explain the demeanor, other than being annoyed at the media and their tactics last week, which in itself would warrant the demeanor today.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Probably reading into it. But a few times he said "I look forward to watching them play on Saturday." If the NCAA investigation has wrapped, maybe he just found out he is suspended for Saturdays game. Pure speculation but might explain the demeanor, other than being annoyed at the media and their tactics last week, which in itself would warrant the demeanor today.

The NCAA is not going to complete it's investigation in a matter of weeks.  They don't exactly work fast in these issues.

• Plus1 1

Yeah, he's short and a little antsy, but his actual quotes seem honest and they're the things you want to hear him say. 

The coach -- the highest paid state employee in Nebraska -- needs to answer questions from the press, needs to communicate to the fans, and needs the media which makes his five million dollar salary possible. You can avoid all these distractions and maintain your purity by coaching high school. Unless it's Texas. Then it's as bad or worse. 

Frost and the Press both did their jobs. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1