*** The Official Nebraska @ Illinois Game Thread ***

knapplc

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

What does this tell you about Frost and his coaching staff if after four years he cannot find a decent QB to lead this team…and I do not buy the BS that no good QB wants to come to Nebraska. Even Riley had better offenses…

I've heard many guys say that Verduzco just comes across as "weird" and looks odd. I hate to see a guy judged by his appearance, but it is what it is. 

Just now, Swiv3D said:

Most of us knew that 

Oh, there are plenty who don't, I assure you.

FIRST HALF OBSERVATIONS

• Special teams 101: When the ball is over your head inside the 10 yard line...LET IT GO.
  • Except for a few Pistol sets and some Orbit motion, this offensive scheme is still the exact same from last season. So much for the "we're going to pound the ball this year."
  • To their credit, Frost & Lubick have schemed receivers WIDE OPEN. Adrian's just flat out missed them.
  • Between his missed throws and ball security problems Adrian Martinez is on borrowed time as Nebraska's starting QB. Also this should be Verduzco's last season as Nebraska's QB coach. His star player has regressed.
  • The Blackshirts are playing great fundamental football. Perfect form tackles. Playing with energy & causing havock. Kudos to the entire defensive staff.

Things I would like to see in the 2nd Half and going forward the rest of the season:

1. Less Shotgun formations. More Pistol & Under Center sets. When the running back is directly behind the QB the offense has a better chance to excel at more downhill & misdirection running plays.
  2. More bootlegs & waggles. Less play-action from Shotgun (those plays are taking too long to develop)
  3. Give Adrian one drive...ONE... to see if he can lead us to score, otherwise it might be time for Logan Smothers.
  4. If the coachs decided to ride with Adrian for the rest of the game then take the ball out of his hands and commit to a downhill running game.

Season forecast

If Nebraska loses this game I personally don't see us going to a bowl game this year. This is a must win game for Frost.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, ladyhawke said:

The Last time we played Illinois we were down 21-7. We came back second half and ended up winning 42-38.  

LOL, everyone is already so checked out that no one is even correcting this! 

Sure, we won last year! Everything is fine guys!

5 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

That’s not true. We just won’t get a name. 

Frankly, I’d be fine bringing Bohl in with a goal to just to get us back to .500 consistently, and then when he has his fill, we get someone that can build on his work. 

Kind of like Kill and Fleck at Minnesota. Kill was never going to be a long-term coach because of his health. But he righted the ship and it allowed them to get a quality(ish) hire. 

I don't buy this. There are plenty of hungry young coaches looking to make a name for themselves, especially with the amount of $ we're willing to shell out. Problem is, most of them view Nebraska as a stepping stone, not a final destination.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Nebraska home boy Heinrich Haarberg can be the real deal, but he is a true freshman and I'm sure they want to redshirt him. I heard Verduzco was changing Logan Smothers throwing motion, and that he wasn't doing that well with it. Can anybody confirm?

Mario needs to quit tinkering with the throwing motions and start teaching how to actually be a QB. 

• Plus1 1